1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Today was not a good day...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today was not a good day...

... but that may be okay because I got lucky last night.

Now today I had 2 problems with the truck...both probably related to lack of sleep

1. Timing pin. I tried using it and sheared half the tip off. I can still feel part of it (maybe the entire half that sheared off) in the gear. I am thinking of what to do. Possibly try to "vacuum" it out? Or maybe remove the oil filler cap and try to push it out with an L shaped tool and catch it in a hose? Or forget about it because it won't cause any problems??? OR, try to vacuum or push it out but don't worry if I lose it because it won't cause any problems??

2. I was trying to find the top of cylinder travel so I used a 1/8" metal rod stuck in the injector hole. I didn't have a wooden dowel. Yesterday I didn't have any trouble at all. But today the end of the rod somehow got caught and the rod started to bend. I noticed when the engine was harder to turn and started to look why. If I look into the injector hole I can see a small mark or two in the top of the piston. Or maybe that's just where the carbon wore off. Any chance I bent something other than the thin metal rod??? I would think the parts are beefy enough that they didn't feel it.

The current position of the pump is right at/below the original index mark with the timing set at 1.65 mm. I approximated TDC using the timing pin and the metal rod to check piston travel. Its possible the pin might be a little off. I tried to use a dial indicator to determine piston travel but my mount and rod extension weren't cooperating. I'll try again.

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Take the timing pin assembly off, heat up an ice pick, and stick it into the plastic left in the gear (I think that is what Monty said a while back). You can get the new pin for cheap, apparently, but the new pin won't work if part of the old pin is in the gear.

You may have scratched up the top of your piston, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Not too bad a day at all, eh?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A broken timing pin is no big deal. The piece of the pin won't hurt anything, it's just plastic. The only time you really need it is setting timing the "book" way, and if you're going to the trouble of doing that you ought to find TDC with the valve drop method instead of trusting the timing pin. For valve adjustments you can get close enough by watching the rockers. Then paint a stripe on the damper so it's a no-brainer the next time.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the scratched piston. It's not a good thing to scratch the piston, but I don't think it will lead to a failure.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky twice!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 PM

THANKS!!!! THIS NEWS BRIGHTENS MY SPIRITS!!!

-brian
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Is the valve dropping method better than trying to rig a dial indicator into the injector hole???
Old 03-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by blueberry
Is the valve dropping method better than trying to rig a dial indicator into the injector hole???
If you like pulling injectors, that is the most accurate way, but I just pull the valve covers, start at no.1, rotate the engine until the the exhaust valve just starts to move, and adjust the intake. Then I rotate through the exhaust and intake valve cycle until the intake valve movement is just about done, then adjust the exhaust. I run them three times just to be sure.

I used to adjust my HEMI this way.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
REALLY old dog

BAD DAY , I AGREE cHECK MY POST i killed my truck today (and it wasnt on purpous)
Claude (THe DUMMIE)
Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blueberry
Nope. They accomplish the exact same thing.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:24 PM

I sucked out the plastic bit in the gear with a custom made nozzle on a shop vac

Thanks,