1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

tips for replacing lift pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tips for replacing lift pump?

Hello, I was planning on replacing the factory lift pump on my 93 and was curious if there was anything I need to know before I go in. Do I need to bleed down any fuel pressure before taking off the fuel quick connect? Is there any tips you can give a newbie on taking the quick connect off without breaking it? Any other advice? Thanks and happy 4th
Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There's no residual pressure to worry about. Working through the fenderwell makes it easier on a 4X4, 2wd's you can get it from the top and bottom. If the new pump is hard to line up, roll the engine over a turn to get the cam in a better spot.

Taking the fitting apart is a little tricky. You pull the tab on the retainer away from the line, you can use a screwdriver between the fitting and the tab to do this. First you have to bend the retainer tab (small tab in a slot on the fitting) down so the retainer can come out, then you pull on the large tab to move the retainer. When you go to put the fitting back together, put a few drops of motor oil on the pump fitting and the o rings.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 PM

Hello, well I just pulled the old lift pump and I have a few ?s. The quick connect was a little different than the one wanna explained. Mine had a light blue plastic piece on the lift pump fitting that you squeeze and the fuel line slides off. My ? is I dont see any o rings anywhere. Are they inside the black 90 degree fitting that snaps onto the blue piece? I looked inside and couldnt see much. It wasnt leaking there so I am sure its fine I was just expecting an o ring somewhere.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yes, the O rings should be down in the fitting. Don't forget to smear some motor oil on both sides of that connection.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM

Well the new lift pump is on. Now the wait to see if it will pop right off after sitting overnight. When I came home today (truck sitting for 2 weeks) it wouldnt start so I went under the hood and pumped the lift pump lever a couple times and the truck popped right off. So I am hoping it is the check valve in the lift pump. There is no fuel dripping from the afc vent so I think the o ring in there is fine. I did a quick look at the fuel lines again and everything looks dry. I will post again when I find out if its fixed. Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 03:02 PM

Hello, well after sitting for 18+ hours it popped right off I think the lift pump was the problem. So now I want to turn up the fuel a bit. Just a few ?s on that. I have read the best way is to pull the screw completely out to remove the collar. If I do this is there a seal or gasket that I have to watch for when the screw comes out? Will this need replacing? Also how much smoke does turning in the screw 2 turns create? I currently have no smoke at all. Thanks again
Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 440forPOWER
Hello, well after sitting for 18+ hours it popped right off I think the lift pump was the problem. So now I want to turn up the fuel a bit. Just a few ?s on that. I have read the best way is to pull the screw completely out to remove the collar. If I do this is there a seal or gasket that I have to watch for when the screw comes out? Will this need replacing? Thanks again
No seal or gasket...there might be a copper washer though (can't remember ). A little fuel will spill out when you first remove it, but probably not enough to really need a catch pan or anything.

Good luck getting it back to the same setting. I tried my best to keep count and get it back, but I was a good 1-2 turns out from stock and it wouldn't even idle. Mine came out like 14 or 15 turns before pulling out. In fact, I would use the idle (if you have a tach) to confirm it's back where you had it. Don't forget to have the turbo inlet open and a board ready to block it in case of a run-away!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM

What about measuring how far it is screwed in with a dial caliper? Haven't looked to see if there is room to get on back there though. Just brainstorming.

Andy
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by 440forPOWER
I have read the best way is to pull the screw completely out to remove the collar. If I do this is there a seal or gasket that I have to watch for when the screw comes out? Will this need replacing? Also how much smoke does turning in the screw 2 turns create? I currently have no smoke at all. Thanks again
That is correct. There is an o ring in a groove on the screw, it won't fall off. It will seal up just fine when you put it back. There's a washer but it is part of the anti-tamper cap.

It's hard to say how much smoke you'll get because every truck is different, but 2 turns is a major adjustment.