1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Timing revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006 | 08:23 PM

Timing revisited

Hey all,

I have had some issues over the past months with my IP and have been learning how these engines work in the process of fixing it. So, here are my latest timing questions:

i am starting to wonder if the pump gear got off by a tooth somehow when i reinstalled the pump. i'm not sure how as there isn't much room for the gear to move. if the timing pin/"rod in injector hole by eye" view of TDC is accurate then 1.65 mm timing is a bit below the original index mark on the timing case cover... i had the pump about 1/8" above that when i started. either that or i'm doing something wrong!! turning up the fuel screws doesn't effect the timing, right? I plan to try the valve dropping method to locate TDC tomorrow.

i'll put everything back together soon and see how the engine runs.

i am starting to wonder a bit more....when it was cold out sometimes the engine would go to start but cut off immediately... a second crank on the starter brought it to life... is that also a symptom of timing right up there the burning eyes light blue smoke??
Old 03-16-2006 | 08:59 PM

The other thing I am wondering is if the pump timing hasn't changed (i.e. did not move one tooth when I put it back in) but now that its pushing more fuel the effects of the timing are more obivous? What do you all think?
Old 03-17-2006 | 06:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

The dying out after a cold start sounds like air in the lines or a low idle speed setting.

You're right that it would be pretty hard to jump one tooth on accident, but anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

The only thing that affects timing is rotatating the pump.

One thought- are you running injectors with a higher than stock pop-off or am I thinking of somebody else? That would cause the effective timing to be retarded.
Old 03-18-2006 | 01:58 PM

When I installed the injectors they were tested and popped at 3800-4000. I recently had them tested again (7000 miles later) at a different shop and they pop around 3350. I tried to get a 3rd opinion but that shop wanted $16/ea to test!!
Old 03-19-2006 | 03:30 PM

OK...Hey all...I used the FSM method of finding true TDC by valve dropping. I discovered that the timing pin was spot on. So, I think my IP gear moved a tooth when I R/R'd the pump to do the tappet gaset. 1.65 mm is currently a 1/16" BELOW the original factory index mark. 2.4 mm is where the pump WAS set.... that seems REAL high!!! Think I blew anything??? Amazingly the truck still performed OK (at least empty) except for the blue caustic smoke. Can't wait to see what its like when I put all back together.