1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time for tires, What's in your wallet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
I hate having to spend the money but I don't want tires that need twenty oZs. on one side to balance. I am just finishing off a set of Wild Country mud tires. 235/85-16E. Other than the noise, I have no complaints even tho they were a bear to balance. I want a tire that will get me out of the slick goo but not sound like a jet liner pushing a freight train coming down the road. Any suggestions? It is a dually that gets off the main roads but not a mudder.

2 best are BFG AT KO or Michelin LTX+2.
Stay away from the offbrand cheapies, you get what you pay for!
Those offbrand tires are all made in China with the old refurbished molds, using old tread design and cheap rubber. Whoever makes em the cheapest gets the deal.
As for bias, get real! Maybe on an old junk offroad work truck.

BFGs and Michelins will give you 80-100k none of those cheapeies will come close, you'll need 3 sets of them to get to 100k. Then you'll see which tire is a better deal.
$130 x 3 = $390 or $200.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Bought A Set Of Toyo Open Country M/t 268/85/r16 And Allingment, Abd New Lugs And Centers For 1200 And Schwab And I Love Them There Is No Noise Except For When You Are Below 15
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I didn't realize there are so many tires available for these trucks. I noticed a few of you have departed from the factory sizes. How wide a tire can go on a dually rim as long as there is no way they can touch? I have the standard replacement steel rims with over an inch between the rears when empty. I think I am as wide as I should go. 235/85-16E.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the Wrangler silent armors for my truck from the treadepot.com but unfortunately I was only able to get 500 mi on them before the trans blew. I have heard good ratings for them and I also have a friend that had BF all terrains on his truck and got 60k out of them with on schedule rotations but they are price in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I didn't realize there are so many tires available for these trucks. I noticed a few of you have departed from the factory sizes. How wide a tire can go on a dually rim as long as there is no way they can touch? I have the standard replacement steel rims with over an inch between the rears when empty. I think I am as wide as I should go. 235/85-16E.

Some get by with the taller/wider 255-85-16 by using a spacer between the wheels.

235-85-16 is about as wide as will still work on stock DRWs and will get plenty close when actually loading them. (my idea of a load is somewhat heavier than most)

The DRWs came from the factory with 215-85-16, much shorter and not quite so wide.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Some get by with the taller/wider 255-85-16 by using a spacer between the wheels.

235-85-16 is about as wide as will still work on stock DRWs and will get plenty close when actually loading them. (my idea of a load is somewhat heavier than most)

The DRWs came from the factory with 215-85-16, much shorter and not quite so wide.
When I bought the truck, the PO had sold the chrome wheels because they weren't coined and replaced them with what I thought where factory wheels. I am not so sure now. It seems I have more offset which gains me more clearance than stock. It drives fine so I haven't checked the track between the front and the back. I am not going any bigger than stock. The name plate on the door frame calls for 235's. I have a little time left on these if I don't abuse tham much so I am still looking.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Free89W350
I bought the Wrangler silent armors for my truck from the treadepot.com but unfortunately I was only able to get 500 mi on them before the trans blew. I have heard good ratings for them and I also have a friend that had BF all terrains on his truck and got 60k out of them with on schedule rotations but they are price in my opinion.
Sorry about the trans. Hope you get it back on the road soon.