1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time for tires, What's in your wallet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Time for tires, What's in your wallet?

I hate having to spend the money but I don't want tires that need twenty oZs. on one side to balance. I am just finishing off a set of Wild Country mud tires. 235/85-16E. Other than the noise, I have no complaints even tho they were a bear to balance. I want a tire that will get me out of the slick goo but not sound like a jet liner pushing a freight train coming down the road. Any suggestions? It is a dually that gets off the main roads but not a mudder.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad put these toyos A/T tires on his 2005 and there load class E for our CTD trucks

and let me tell you these things get PERFECT traction in the rain even when you accelerate a little more then normal from a stop street when its wet. They are amazing, they ride great, make absolutely no noise. all in all there awesome tires. have'nt tested them in the mud yet

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...=lgt-suv-truck
Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I have balancers lined up the wall and tons of shiny new wheel weights and I HAVE NOT BALANCED A TIRE ON MY TRUCK IN YEARS.

My own personal opinion/observation is that computer balancers are a joke at best, and the balance point of tires is constantly changing.

Just the other day, I had a guy from Chicago, travelling through, driving a late-model Ford 4-door diesel with a brand new set of shiny aluminum wheels and brand new tires, pulling a 5th-wheel camper.

He had stopped three other times on his trip and had the rear tires re-balanced, claiming it drove and rode great for a few miles, only to start shaking again.

I put a chalk-mark at the valve-stem of each tire and had him drive it fifteen-mile to the next town and back, then I showed him where the chalk-marks had migrated to; needless to say, he was amazed; the wheels were slipping inside the tires, and both being brand-new, the problem was worse.

I had my crew break loose the beads on each tire, clean off as much of the tire-lube as possible from tire and rim, re-seat the beads, and re-balance.

Myself, before my next set of tires, I am ordering a set of Centramatics.

I never had them before; but, everyone that has claims they are wonderful.

As for the tires, there is no middle ground; in the famous words of a long gone route-salesman, " if they don't sang, they won't hang (meaning they won't have traction)."

Any tire that is going to have any real traction capabilities in mud conditions is also going to "sang like Roy Acuff".

We have good customer response/feedback from the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders; they wear like iron, hold pretty decent, clean themselves, and balance as good as any LR-E tire.

The best way to judge tires is when people come back and request them for the third or fourth set.

Of course, the really good ones usually get dis-continued or "improved", never to be quite as good again; I don't see why they can't leave a good thing alone.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Of course, the really good ones usually get dis-continued or "improved", never to be quite as good again; I don't see why they can't leave a good thing alone.
Like the buckshots you mentioned. The old gateway ones were a GREAT tire, wore like like iron and got good traction everywhere. The maxxis version isn't bad, it's just not the same.

I have a set of cooper discoverer st-c's on my truck. I love them and if I can stomach the price of a new set again ($900 mounted and balanced) when mine where out I will buy another set. They are a more aggressive allterain tire that have worn well for me and don't make any noise that I can hear. They have done very well in the snow and, also on rutted up logging roads.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Talk about an old standby, the BFG All-Terrain has been around how long? Plus what improvements they have made to them has been for the better like double compounding (sidewall versus tread face) and their tread has "crept" over the sidewall slightly giving them a more aggressive look. I run 305's on my truck in a 10 ply, and 285's on my Wifes truck in a 8 ply. They are also what I requested on my service truck. The Boss threw a fit when he saw the bill, but I told him there would be no more broken belts and they would hold for 50,000 miles. Lets hope I'm right! Seriously, I have had 9 sets of these tires and have had great luck with them. Great ride, quite at speed, wear great, and are VERY surprising in the mud and snow. I love them.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by gear jammer 91"
Like the buckshots you mentioned. The old gateway ones were a GREAT tire, wore like like iron and got good traction everywhere. The maxxis version isn't bad, it's just not the same.

Actually, the MAXXIS Buckshot Mudder is not in any way connected with GateWay.

GateWay is still very much alive and well and still building all the good old bias mudders.

An interesting thing is that there is ONE company that manufactures ALL THREE of the genuine good old real off-road tires, GateWay Gumbo Mudder (and all it's variations), TSC Super Swamper (and all it's variations), and the absolute best of the best, the Denman GroundHawg, never ever has a better off-road tire been made-period.

At one time, if my information is correct, Dunlap and Kyle of Nashville owned all three.

Originally Posted by dundun98
Talk about an old standby, the BFG All-Terrain has been around how long? Plus what improvements they have made

I was just looking at a new set of them we special-ordered for someone; they have the same old tread that they had way back when they were all bias and radials didn't exist.

I also noticed that they now have a THREE-PLY sidewall, instead of the more common two-ply that most everything else uses.

I never used them myself, but those that have will always want more.

My main dislike of B.F.Goodrich is that they are owned by Michelin and I won't go into why I dis-like Michelin.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM

I literally bought tires today. I have been through Yokohamas, Mich, Mickey Thompsons. Today I bought 4 amazing STA Superlugs (http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html). They were $143 per tire. No doubt the least amount of money I have paid for tires in a long time. I have a total of about 20 miles on them so still very new to me but I like them so far. The one thing that is completely different than the others is the size. They are just over 36" inches tall and only about 10" wide (they are 9.00 x 16). They ride nice so far, not noticeable wallowing in the corners. I am excited to see how they do but I know my pocket book is a bit happier right now....

I will try to attach some photos...
Attached Thumbnails Time for tires, What's in your wallet?-img_1653.jpg   Time for tires, What's in your wallet?-img_1654.jpg  
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like a good tire for snow.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I literally bought tires today. I have been through Yokohamas, Mich, Mickey Thompsons. Today I bought 4 amazing STA Superlugs (http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html). They were $143 per tire. No doubt the least amount of money I have paid for tires in a long time. I have a total of about 20 miles on them so still very new to me but I like them so far. The one thing that is completely different than the others is the size. They are just over 36" inches tall and only about 10" wide (they are 9.00 x 16). They ride nice so far, not noticeable wallowing in the corners. I am excited to see how they do but I know my pocket book is a bit happier right now....

I will try to attach some photos...
That's a dang good price, they'll ride a little rough until they round out in a mile or two, they look great on there. Good job!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 PM

and the absolute best of the best, the Denman GroundHawg, never ever has a better off-road tire been made-period.
Reminds me of my 96 V10 5 speed truck with a set of 35-12.5 GroundHawgs. I crossed a chiseled plowed black dirt field in early spring one time. High side of 4 wheel, 3 gear in the box, skinny pedal on the mat. Mud clods the size of regulation softballs were raining down from above. Yep, best mud tire ever made, BAR NONE!

My main dislike of B.F.Goodrich is that they are owned by Michelin and I won't go into why I dis-like Michelin.
Awe... man... don't spool a good thing for me, I HATE Michelin. I have my own reasons too.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out the tires from Tire rack at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...&startIndex=10
I buy all my tires from them and never a complaint, but I do live close to one of their warehouses so I don't have to pay shipping.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I put BFG All-Terains on all of my trucks. Ride good, wear good and I never have a ballance problem with them. Last set cost me $950 mounted and ballenced including road hazard.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have balancers lined up the wall and tons of shiny new wheel weights and I HAVE NOT BALANCED A TIRE ON MY TRUCK IN YEARS.

My own personal opinion/observation is that computer balancers are a joke at best, and the balance point of tires is constantly changing.

Just the other day, I had a guy from Chicago, travelling through, driving a late-model Ford 4-door diesel with a brand new set of shiny aluminum wheels and brand new tires, pulling a 5th-wheel camper.

He had stopped three other times on his trip and had the rear tires re-balanced, claiming it drove and rode great for a few miles, only to start shaking again.

I put a chalk-mark at the valve-stem of each tire and had him drive it fifteen-mile to the next town and back, then I showed him where the chalk-marks had migrated to; needless to say, he was amazed; the wheels were slipping inside the tires, and both being brand-new, the problem was worse.

I had my crew break loose the beads on each tire, clean off as much of the tire-lube as possible from tire and rim, re-seat the beads, and re-balance.

Myself, before my next set of tires, I am ordering a set of Centramatics.

I never had them before; but, everyone that has claims they are wonderful.
I've previously used Dyna-beads and was relatively happy with how they did for balancing 235-85-16 tires but recently, I've been trying another balancing method. About 2 months ago, I mounted up a pair of tires to get me through the winter and I balanced them with 6 oz. of air-soft beads in each tire. Time will tell how well the beads hold up or whether they are reduced to plastic dust but thus far, they're still seeming to keep the balance. I'm thinking of trying them in my RV trailer tires next.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 AM

Dad just got a set of Cooper STT 285-75-16's mounted balanced and siped for about $1050.00. Good tread design, only 8 ply though.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Clarify please sir.

Are you saying that you haven't had to balance the tires (because they stay balanced fine) OR that you just don't bother anymore (because its a moving target)?

Quick Reply: Time for tires, What's in your wallet?