1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time for a pump rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a pump rebuild?

About a month ago i ran into a problem of having hard starting. It went on for about a week, then quit being hard to start. About a week after that it started again, and it's been hard ever since. I put in new rubber lines to eliminate possible line cracks causing air to be drawn to the system. I also suspected lift pump so i put a new one of those in also. I ran a fuel line to a tank of fuel off the intake of the lift pump to eliminate the whole supply line. Still hard to start. Then i tested the fuel shutoff solenoid since maybe it could be sticking. This is how i tested it without removal:

1. Jumped it to a 12 v source
2.started truck
3.Drove around for a bit at WOT to confirm it was fully open
4. Shut off truck with shutdown lever and left the jumper so it would hold the solenoid open
5. Tryed to start again, but still hard to start

Is this a reliable test of the solenoid? I was going to remove it, but it's a nightmare to get at with the bracket on the back of the pump. I wonted to just grind the **** thing

The symptoms are:
-Hard to start when warmed up
-cranks over 3 times then fires when cold (way easier to start cold)
-no power loss

I think i've pretty much narrowed it down now. I talked to some people and they said there are springs in the VE that can break which cause hard starting.

Think it's time for a rebuild? Perfect time to do the 3200 spring and AFC lever

thanks for any help

Jeff
Old 03-18-2005, 02:53 PM

Unhappy Hard Start

I'm sorry to tell you that your symptoms matched mine exactly, at 212k miles and I did most of the diagnostic steps you went through, except I also tried driving with fuel cap loosened for a while in case it was causing vacumn in fuel lines from clogged vent. Mine would start when cold (about three seconds) and got harder and harder as I started and stopped as it got warm when in town making errands. It did turn out to be the injection pump. The good news is now I believe the vehicle is good for another couple hundred thousand miles and it drives like brand new. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 PM

blazehorse

At least i know the problem know

Do you know exactly what was wrong inside the pump that causes this?

thanks

Jeff
Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Does it still make a puff of smoke when it starts? Will it start easier if you push the accelerator pedal?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:01 PM

Yes it still puffs, no it don't make a difference if the accelerator is down
Old 03-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Adminstrator-ess

OK, starting spring isn't broke then. Have you had the tank down to make sure there's not a problem with the lines up top?

I am not an expert, but it doesn't make sense to me that the pump could be dying and you still have good power and the truck runs OK, just won't start easily.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:21 PM

wannadiesel, yes i have had my box off and i replaced the rubber lines coming right off the tank. I have also took out the whole fuel pickup assembly and cleaned out the strainer. All the lines are good, i've checked many times. Would a sticking fuel pin cause this? I think it must be the pump since it only starts ok cold. As did blazehorse's
I'll look and see if it puffs again, but i'm pretty sure it does
Old 03-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Just went out and fired it up. It puffs a bit, but should be puffing more with those POD's. When you mean accelerator down do you mean putting it to the floor? I only ever just put it down a touch
Old 03-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

You'd have to floor it to approximate the effect of the starting spring. The starting spring pushes the control collar to the full fuel position, that's why the 1st gens have that distinctive puff on startup. Try flooring it next time it igives you trouble.