1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ticking injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ticking injectors

ok i know my injectors are going bad, ok well are bad. but i just want to make sure on this these injectors can tick loudly, like on a gas motor right? i have a loud tick (sometimes) which is turning into most of the time that at first i almost thought was an exhaust leak or something but it sounds like it is coming from my number 5 cylinder. and yes it does sound like it is coming from a little lower than the injector but it is kind of hard to get in there. and i did the old stethescope broom handle thing and i noticed that injector had a "lower tick" than the rest of them and it did sound different. so does this sound like my injector
Old 05-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
might be worth pulling the #5 valve cover to make sure the valves don't have a lot of slop. other than that, check double extra close for an exhaust leak. when the engine's cool, fire it up and run your hand on the underside of the manifold to feel for a leak that you may no be able to see..could be a crack down there. The manifold will get hot quickly, so do a test run before you start it so you know what to expect.
greg
Old 05-01-2005, 01:57 PM

ok went and checked for exhaust and felt nothing. and listening to it again it really sounds like my injector to me. i haven't checked valves yet but to me if they had enough slop they would tick all the time wouldn't they?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Valves you will mostly hear when rolling down a hill. It's hard to hear the valves when the engine is under a load.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Yes, injectors can make a noticable ticking sound...and they can sound like valves too....
Do the obvious like the guys suggested...set your valve first then drive it.
Sometimes the injectors will get sticky and make noise. Even some high perf. injectors make a louder/different noise than the stockers which makes a guy wonder if something's wrong..

pb....
Old 05-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Den

I've got an annoying ticking noise too. I did my valves not to long ago. I just figured there was an exhaust leak somewhere and I try to ignore it. I notice it mostly sitting at lights.

Den
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Re-run your valves, although if you got them darn close they rarely go out on you for no reason....I've found that once they are set properly you can go 35000miles or more before you really **need** to recheck or reset them...

Injectors can get sticky so run a good healthy dose of "cleaner" oriented additive with lubricity as a second part of the additive. You can usually run twice or even three times the recommended dose on a FULL tank of fuel. This will usually help to clear any deposits that may be contributing to a sticking/sticky injector.
Take the old girl out and work her hard, get it up to your max sustained temp allowed (1200*F - 1250*F) cycle up and down to push lots of fuel and flush/burn out any deposits.
You don't need to set a land speed record, just work it good....OH...check ALL your fluids/belts and hoses before you do this....I'd hate for you to pop a rad hose or sumthin...
If the noise continues then use the stethescope trick and have a listen to each cylinder/injector individually...you should be able to zero right in on the noisy one.

pb....