1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throwout bearing

I hate to make a new topic when I know its been talked about alot but Im having trouble find good info. I have no clue about anything when it comes to throwout bearings and Im just wondering what the best one for me to buy would be. thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet any parts house like NAPA would carry a good one. I got a new one in the South Bend Clutch kit so I can't help.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
I hate to make a new topic when I know its been talked about alot but Im having trouble find good info. I have no clue about anything when it comes to throwout bearings and Im just wondering what the best one for me to buy would be. thanks
if you are puting a throw out bearing in, makes shore that you replace the pilot. thats were all the in nutral getrag rattle noise was comeing from in my truck!......You are still running a getrag?....right?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Yes still the getrag. Would the pilot bearing come with the throwout bearing or seperate? What makes a good one/bad one as far as durability? I really don't have a clue
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM

No the pilot bearing will be separate. Check out Quad4x4's site for pilot bearing/bushing, roller bearing options. http://www.quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Engin..._Pilot_Bearing. Stock is a pilot bushing. My new flywheel came with a pilot 'needle' bearing. I believe it came stock on 94+ trucks. I'm guessing since I've not done it myself: You would have to press the old bushing out of the flywheel and press in a new bushing (not recommended) or a new bearing (recommended). Or get yourself a HD roller bearing and have a shop machine your flywheel to fit the new bearing.

Minimumly you might consider having a shop resurface your flywheel while it's out.
~$40.

How does your input shaft look? Shiney, dry, rusty, worn, cuts, cracks, greasy? I'm not sure what a good pilot bushing looks like, though I bet Quad4x4 will have a pic of one.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 PM

The flywheel was machine last year when a newe sachs clutch was put in. Do you think it would be necesary to machine it when im still gonna be using the same clutch?

Thanks for the info on the bearings i'll have to check out thier site.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Yes still the getrag. Would the pilot bearing come with the throwout bearing or seperate? What makes a good one/bad one as far as durability? I really don't have a clue

The pilot bearing(bushing) fell out when i pulled the tranny! when i when
to put the new on it, it stated to go in and them fell in loosely
removed the bushing and with a center punch pinged little dimples into the pilot hole. used high temp (red) lock tight on the bussing and tapped it in, to place. so fare the noise hasn't came back. o ya the pilot shaft or out put shaft was fine but shined it up whith a little emory cloth!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 PM

The flywheel was machine last year when a newe sachs clutch was put in. Do you think it would be necesary to machine it when im still gonna be using the same clutch?

Thanks for the info on the bearings i'll have to check out thier site.
I have never had good luck with reusing an old clutch wether it a new old or old old!

the cluth that i replace on my truck was new. so new that the disc was the same thickness on the new on as the old one.

If i had to us the old parts,... the pressure plate would still be new, and the pilot, throw thats just the way i am

just don't want to do it twice

is there any hot spots on the flywheel? might want to have it resurfist if theres a problem
Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM

I would not use a needle bearing, the brass bushing is much better than a needle bearing. A large roller bearing is obviously better than anything. However earlier in the year when I put a new clutch in I talked with Peter at Southbend and asked him what he thought about the larger pilot roller bearing and basically he said "your not putting down tons of power and the stock bushing lasted you how long?" 260k "well thats what I would go with".

I would not resurface the flywheel unless it was grooved or discolored really bad. Unless your having an issue I wouldn't mess with it. The throughout bearing in my dad's truck went out so I pulled the tranny back put a new one in and it was all back together in a few hours. A year later his rear main started leaking really bad so then we changed clutch and everything. So it wasn't the clutch that was bad but changed it anyways that time.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by apwatson50
I would not use a needle bearing, the brass bushing is much better than a needle bearing. A large roller bearing is obviously better than anything. However earlier in the year when I put a new clutch in I talked with Peter at Southbend and asked him what he thought about the larger pilot roller bearing and basically he said "your not putting down tons of power and the stock bushing lasted you how long?" 260k "well thats what I would go with".

I would not resurface the flywheel unless it was grooved or discolored really bad. Unless your having an issue I wouldn't mess with it. The throughout bearing in my dad's truck went out so I pulled the tranny back put a new one in and it was all back together in a few hours. A year later his rear main started leaking really bad so then we changed clutch and everything. So it wasn't the clutch that was bad but changed it anyways that time.

Just one more wine and then i will shut up if you didn't release the bolts on the pressure plate, like thay should have been put on(slowly and equily) the pressure plate cold be coallapsed and you won't now tell its all back to getter an you cant compleatly disingage your cluth.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 PM

As long as nothing looks out of shape, worn or damage, put it back together. If the throwout bearing is in excellent shape, I might reuse it. But it's cheap and best to replace. I wouldn't go and replace a $500 clutch that is only a year old and still good for 500k miles. As said above, it the flywheel is in good shape, don't worry about resurfacing. Besides, it won't be long til you need a 550hp clutch from SBC, no need to spend the money 3X's.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
As long as nothing looks out of shape, worn or damage, put it back together. If the throwout bearing is in excellent shape, I might reuse it. But it's cheap and best to replace. I wouldn't go and replace a $500 clutch that is only a year old and still good for 500k miles. As said above, it the flywheel is in good shape, don't worry about resurfacing. Besides, it won't be long til you need a 550hp clutch from SBC, no need to spend the money 3X's.
haha thats what I was thinking Bill. As long as I get twins this year I should be needing a new clutch in no time!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:42 PM

opps I some how double posted