1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Throttle bellcrank bushings still available

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up Throttle bellcrank bushings still available

So, how's your throttle bellcrank? Checked it recently? I'm talking about the part that takes the pull from the the accelerator pedal and transmits it to the throttle rod on the pump. If it's getting sloppy, go down to your local Dodge dealer and ask for a pair of P/N 4425053. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are still available and they list for $1.95 each.

One of mine was worn all the way through. Replacement took all of 10 minutes, the only tool needed was a small screwdriver. Pop the accelerator cable off, release the retaining clip on the backside of the shaft, don't drop the washer, release the torsion spring, and the bellcrank slides out. Replace the bushings, grease the shaft, and reassemble.

The only challenging part is releasing the retaining clip since you're working by feel, if this is not your strong point it only takes a few more minutes to unbolt the whole throttle bracket. Then you can work on it where you can see it. I have too much plumbing in the way.

Recheck your throttle travel when you are done. You may be able to shorten the throttle rod a little for more travel now that there is no slop.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck already has the updated setup, antone know if those are prone to wearing out like the stock plastic ones? One place where my throttle linkage does have play is the cross shaft thingy that the throttle cable attaches to, looks like the bushing that it rides on is worn, anyone ever have one of those apart?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

These aren't the ball and socket joints on the ends of the throttle rod. These are bushings for the bellcrank that the accelerator cable hooks to. Slop in the bellcrank will also affect the TV cable for the trans.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM

DUHHHH...typical of me, thanx! That is exactly what up with mine, thanx for the heads up, I think I`ll oder them this coming week as I have som PM to do the old gal anyhoo (starter contacts, alt brushes, oil chg etc), might as well do those as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
THanks Wanna, I improvised bushings to take out the slop because my old ones grenaded, but I really want the factory setup.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey dave, do you know if the bell itself is available? i discovered this on mine a while ago and made a bushing out of steel because the shaft had worn so badly and was out of round. iow, there is no wayyyyy the plastic bushing would work. how much slop did you have? if i was standing on the side of the truck, i could move the bell about 1/2". made quite a bit of difference.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Dave- I don't know if the bellcrank is still available. I'll go bug my parts guy this week and let you know.

I could only wobble mine about 1/4". Your thread (what, like 2 years ago ) was what made me look at it initially, but I forgot all about it until I worked on Vinny's truck. His was all bound up with rust. A few weeks ago I finally got around to ordering the parts, and then found spare time on a nice day to throw 'em in.

Last edited by wannadiesel; 01-21-2006 at 10:18 PM. Reason: smiley repair
Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 AM

cool. that'd be great. i appreciate it. how's the rig runnin?

dave
Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
So, how's your throttle bellcrank? Checked it recently? I'm talking about the part that takes the pull from the the accelerator pedal and transmits it to the throttle rod on the pump. If it's getting sloppy, go down to your local Dodge dealer and ask for a pair of P/N 4425053. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are still available and they list for $1.95 each.

Recheck your throttle travel when you are done. You may be able to shorten the throttle rod a little for more travel now that there is no slop.
Geezzzz Wanna....You always gotta bring up your rod don't you....nasty booger...

PB>>>
Old 01-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Dave- It's noisy, smelly, smoky, and it rattles. We had a 60 degree day here on Friday, I kept a guy in a (top down) Z3 "in the plume" from 30 to 80.

Pastor - May I quote one of your early posts on this board? "He who faileth to see that his throttle linkage is properly adjusted shall pray to our Lady of Blessed Acceleration in vain. Lo, I say unto thee, She will not hear thee, for the slack in thy accelerator cable is a blot upon the earth, and the play in thy bellcrank bushings is an abomination in her sight."
Old 01-22-2006, 08:38 AM

Can I get a HALLELUJA from the congregation !? Well said Wanna! It`s sermons like that that make me "wanna" take the old girl out and reduce the rear tire diameter!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HALLELUJA!!! I here ya Chris!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the Dodge PDC's have about 500 of these bushings all over the country, so it shouldnt be a parts issue. It also shows that these may have been used all of the way up to the 98 model year.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This picture shows a throttle assembly off of a 97 model truck. The bushings called out as "4" show to be the exact part number as Dave gave. This picture may or may not help show the relationship of all components.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle bellcrank bushings still available-1062_014_0067.gif  
Old 01-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It looks like the bellcrank itself is put together the same way. Everything else is different, though. The 2nd gen linkage is really complicated compared to ours. Every time I work on a 2nd gen it makes me glad I have a 1st gen.

Quick Reply: Throttle bellcrank bushings still available