1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Thoughts and opinions on a weird intercooler mounting idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts and opinions on a weird intercooler mounting idea

Waiting to put an intercooler on my 4bt but I am limited on mounting options. I have very little room between the motor and core support and there is no room between the core support and grille. Also mounting here would suck due to getting packed with mud and debris. I don't think it would survive long up front. I'm thinking about mounting one laid down flat across the motor much like the way the non intercooled trucks are connected. I would then mount two electric fans on top of the intercooler blowing down. This would push heat from the motor away from the intercooler. I would then cut a hole in the hood and make a cowl hood scoop to cover the fans and allow air follow from outside the engine compartment. I found two fans that will fit my intercooler. The fans flow450cfm. Would that be enough flow?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
It would work but do you really need a inter cooler? Is your 4bt turned up pushing a lot of boost? As you probably know, the more boost increases the hotter the charge air becomes.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I believe the Subaru WRX has a top mounted intercooler, fed by a small hood scoop.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98
It would work but do you really need a inter cooler? Is your 4bt turned up pushing a lot of boost? As you probably know, the more boost increases the hotter the charge air becomes.
Not sure what my boost levels will be. I just installed 5x.016 injectors and a hx35 that has the wastegate disabled. After the first couple runs and I see what its boosting I may add a hx35 bov if it's boosting to high. Motor is also getting a timing bump and 366 spring.

The reason I think it may need an intercooler is because of the extended wot runs under heavy loads. it'll take a couple runs to set the pump and see what egts doing. Some runs could have the motor at WOT for several minutes.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
No reason it shouldn't work, I've seen setups like that on GM 6.5 liter diesels.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Not sure what my boost levels will be. I just installed 5x.016 injectors and a hx35 that has the wastegate disabled. After the first couple runs and I see what its boosting I may add a hx35 bov if it's boosting to high. Motor is also getting a timing bump and 366 spring.

The reason I think it may need an intercooler is because of the extended wot runs under heavy loads. it'll take a couple runs to set the pump and see what egts doing. Some runs could have the motor at WOT for several minutes.

Ok I see your reasoning, going by your sig I thought maybe it was a rock crawler buggy type truck. Wot for a few minutes sounds fun!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM

No rock crawling here! It's a trail mud truck, not a 200ft mud bogg truck. Gotta be able to run all day and handle long WOT when yoh hit a bad hole.

Faith, do you think 450cfm fans will flow enough air? I know anything will be better than nothing but I wanna make sure the benefit is worth the cost. After that's done I plan to add water/ meth
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at water to air intercoolers? I am not sure on the cost for a kit but this seems like a good application for it, then the cooling radiator can be mounted someplace else where it is less likely to get hot or dirty.

how much time do you spend in deep mud and water? seems like airflow from the radiator and intetercooler might be an issue if your bumper deep in water.

I wonder how the cooling effects of water meth would compare to the intercooler, especially in a situation like this were its likely the intercooler is going to get dirty?

Oh and I have to say after reading the title all i could picture was an intercooler duct taped up on the roof demo derby style
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM

My radiator and trans cooler are mounted in the bed on the roll bars. Thought about doing the intercooler the same way but that's a lot of money on pipe and boots not to mention working out routing it. The radiator was bad enough.

I looked into a water to air cooler and its 350 just for the tank, that's not counting the rest of the set up. What I'm looking at would be right around 300 completed unless I can make my spare 12 valve intercooler work then I'll be at about 150.

Since I don't run a fan on the motor and me fender wells are almost completely closed the mud splash on top the motor is minimal. The top of the intercooler would be completely sealed by the fan shroud and I would think air coming out the bottom would eliminate most if not all the splash coming from underneath. So I think mud getting on the intercooler would be minimum.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Heres a water crossing shot. Not the deepest its been but that was deep. This was actually taken as I climbed out. I have seen the harmonic balancer completely under water. I routinely check the oil after every deep crossing.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts and opinions on a weird intercooler mounting idea-dscn0653.jpg   Thoughts and opinions on a weird intercooler mounting idea-dscn0649.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM

NICE! I like it, guess water isnt an issue after all.

I was looking at this place for water air intercoolers, no idea if they are any good but the price is decent.

http://www.frozenboost.com/

the radiator is all that is plumbed to the back and I would think it could be just a cheap car radiator that is stacked with what you have there now.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Yeah, that's where I've been getting all my stuff so far. They are pretty good to deal with.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the idea of the air-to-liquid. Running all the piping to the bed for the intercooler would add a lot of restriction to the system as well as increase turbo lag.

I don't really like the idea of the intercooler being fed air through the roof. About the time I did that I'd end up filling everything with mud. You know how it can get into places you wouldn't expect it to.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Yeah, think I found an air to water kit that would work. Think I could plum the cooling coil to the bed and on the cheap.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Keep us updated..... video would be great!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts and opinions on a weird intercooler mounting idea