1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Thinking of buying a 1st Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a 1st Gen...

...and have some questions. I'm keeping my orange Ford but plan on racing/pulling/etc... with it a lot more so I want a back up truck. I've already got the Ford (which I love) but figure why not try something else. Plus I figure I can pick up a 1st Gen pretty cheap.

1st question: About how much should I expect to pay? I'm figuring a 5 speed manual trans, extra cab, doesn't matter to me if it's 2wd or 4wd (although I'd prefer 4wd), single rear wheel, 3/4 or 1 ton.

2nd question: What years do the 1st gens span and what year was the extra cab introduced?

3rd question: I don't PLAN on doing anything crazy with it, but if I was to put about $3000 toward mods (not counting air intake, exhaust, or clutch), what would you recommend?

4th question: Are there any years I should avoid or look for? Anything I should be sure and check out while examining the vehicle?

Thanx for any help!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome
1: price varies alot depending mainly on condition. 5000-8000 should get you a pretty nice one worth dumping money into. But you may find a deal if you look and somebody doesn't know what they're worth.
2:diesel first gens are 89-93, 91.5 and up are intercooled with 4 speed auto.
3DP stage 4 with a S400 based trubo of some kind should get you right around 400 hp.
4: They're all good. Pre intercooled can be upgraded with an intercooler(the first gen coolers aren't that good anyway) but the 3 speed with 3.07 gears is not a performance combo by any stretch. To change that will require some money better spent elsewhere.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 PM

A first gen is a great truck, and spanned from 89-93. The best years of first gen to find were the intercooled years, 91.5-93. 92 had the biggest, laggyest turbo with a 22 cm exhaust housing, and all the others being 18.5. The 89-91.5 non-ic trucks had a small issue, the head had 9mm injector bores, which made the head prone to cracking, 91.5+ changed to 7mm.
You can expect to spend between 3-8K for a decent x-cab 1st gen truck. And if u were to dump 3 grand in mods youd have a monster!! We gain so much from wrenches, and screw drivers its unbelievable. 60-80 HP with basic hand tools, n a dremel for one or 2 mods. Your most expencive mods being injectors, and a turbo.
Everyone has there opinion for injectors and turbos, but I would say a schwitzer s300, with a 14cm w/g exhaust housing is suitable for little over 400horse. As for injectors, there are a few options. But it depends on what u want to do.

Glad to see ya made it from Comp. D Elmo!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 AM

Thanx, glad to see you're active too buddy.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I spend a lot of time here. You'll be happy no matter what year ya get. Go for a 5 speed if u look at anything pre intercooled. The 3 speed auto's kill any go fast wishes u may have, unless u drop a grand or 2 for an overdrive unit. Also I wouldnt be to concerned about the heads with the 9mm injectors, unless u go for big boost, and hp numbers. But they aint nuthin a PDR head cant fix.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by imelmo
...and have some questions. I'm keeping my orange Ford bit plan on racing/pulling/etc... with it a lot more so I want a back up truck. I've already got the Ford (which I love) but figure why not try something else. Plus I figure I can pick up a 1st Gen pretty cheap.

1st question: About how much should I expect to pay? I'm figuring a 5 speed manual trans, extra cab, doesn't matter to me if it's 2wd or 4wd (although I'd prefer 4wd), single rear wheel, 3/4 or 1 ton.

2nd question: What years do the 1st gens span and what year was the extra cab introduced?

3rd question: I don't PLAN on doing anything crazy with it, but if I was to put about $3000 toward mods (not counting air intake, exhaust, or clutch), what would you recommend?

4th question: Are there any years I should avoid or look for? Anything I should be sure and check out while examining the vehicle?

Thanx for any help!
Hey, fellow TDS member! Glad to have you join us. Guarantee that hangin out here will make you tweak more on the CTD than the PSD. Cheaper would be the main reason, then next would be the satisfaction of making power from raw materials vs. electronics. I see you all the time on TDS. Oh, yeah, you will find these folks on DTR a lot friendlier and more apt to answer your questions, rather than argue and brag like the other site. Welcome, and enjoy!!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just get one, you will never regret it. I sold my 2001 tundra for mine...no regrets.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Thanx for the info fellas! Well, Looking on ebay, it seems these trucks are a little more rare than I thought. Would there be any issues you know of converting a flat bed to a regular bed? And how tough would it be to convert from an auto trans to a manual? Does anyone make a kit to do so?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Look on autotrader, you will usually find a bigger selection. And look in the classifieds on all of the dodge forums.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM

There is a guy in the process of swapping from auto to manual right now. I think there is actually a tech article in the sticky on it, n someone with a 6-speed floating around. I dont remember which forum though. There r like 5 forums on the cummins, i attend 4 of them, i'll shoot u a PM.

Flatbed to regular bed should be relativly straight forward, unless someone did some fancy welding, n cutting.

So your over diesel stop? or is there another TDS? I used to be on STD, I mean TDS with my 92 ford IDI, but found a better forum for that!
U got a mean Powerstroke too, I have seen a few of your vids over on Comp D, great work! im lookin forward to see'n what ya do to a great classic 1st gen cummins ride!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by imelmo
Thanx for the info fellas! Well, Looking on ebay, it seems these trucks are a little more rare than I thought. Would there be any issues you know of converting a flat bed to a regular bed? And how tough would it be to convert from an auto trans to a manual? Does anyone make a kit to do so?
If it was originally a pickup, no problem If it was a cab & chassis, then the wheelbase is wrong.

Nobody makes a kit for auto to manual.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Another Ford guy getting a 1st gen, I like it! Welcome Danny!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 AM

I just paid 7 grand for this truck... It's a 1992 W250 Clean inside and out! I knew the history on the truck and I must say I found a diamond in the rough... Go to http://www.myspace.com/Drifter0678 and click on "pics" It's got power stroke seats, Pac brake, fuel screw turned up a bit and a 12mm housing on the turbo. Future mods are as follow's. ASA intake, Stans 4" exhaust, new fuel pin, and ATS Tranny. Also a buck Stop bumper and re paint "can't stand black!" so going to Silver and probably Line X the bottom quarter panel... Sky Jacker 2.5 soft ride, if there is such a thing for these trucks lift kit I'm sure the list will go on and on as time goes on. I was thinking I was done sence my 04 has everything a guy could want on it, but this baby came along. Good thing I'm single again! You might be a diesel head if your wife says "you buy this truck, I'm going to leave you"... Where do I sign? Oh, it's got 172,000 miles on the ticker