1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Thinking about buying another crew cab, got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about buying another crew cab, got some questions?

Another crew cab surfaced a couple of miles from my house. Seen the truck before, know the guy who owns it. Went and looked at it yesterday.

Basically its an 85 crew cab, 360, 4 speed, 2wd, with a single wheel rear under it. Comes with another set of front fenders, front support, another bed that is not perfect, but better than some, moon visor, the dually rear that came out of it, plus what ever else he has laying around for it. He's asking $1500 for the whole shooting match.

The bad part, the cab is rough, rust above the wind shield not to mention the other typical places.

The good part, its a fancy interior and has all the interior trim in very good condition.

I know he'll take less, but whats fair for it?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad do you want it is normally determines what you think it's worth! If I want something i'll give more for it than if i'm just kinda interested. Is the rust repairable or do you have to do alot of cutting and welding? If you really want it edit him down some and buy it. Extra parts makes it worth a little more. Try a $750 offer and go from there. But the old crew cabs are getting harder to find yearly. Good Luck with it.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Its a cut and weld kind of deal.

I was thinking the same thing, low ball him and see what he'll take. I think I might have some that wants to buy the bed already. Not to mention its only a few miles from my house, like less than 10.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Sounds like a good project truck to keep your heart in shape & your skills honed. I'm just finishing a floor board & rocker panel job on 1 of my trucks, it will test your ability to stay calm lol. I've been kicking the ole 4 door crewcab dually 4x4 around. I may find one and re-do one. I found a "I think a 66 or 67" International 4x4 crewcab. Clean and rust free but worn smooth out, I've seen this truck for years setting in a shed but still haven't stopped to look at it. Might be cheap, belongs to a distant cousin. Anyways good luck JD730. LOL JD730 "poppin johnny" spent alot of hours on a B model.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:28 AM

Funny you should mention an International 4 door. I have a friend of mine who has one with a 354 perkins in it, 60 something travelette.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it could be a fun project. If it was a dually originally, at least that is how I read it, it must be a long bed. I am half looking for a long box crew for a project I have in mind.
  1. convert to 4x4. There are no factory long bed, crew, 4x4s. or...
  2. graft a club cab on to the back of the 4-door cab and put a short box on it. the frame would be the correct wheelbase for this. Just think, reclining buckets in the back and a flip down 2nd or third gen rear seat on the back wall. heck with two benches and a flipdown, you could have seatbelts for nine people and a 6 1/2 foot bed. or...
  3. sell the 4 door cab for half your initial investment, put a std cab on and graft the 2 beds together for something like an 11 foot bed. O.k. now I'm just getting stupid.

Good luck with the decision. If one has a torch and a welder, one cannot have too many crewcabs lying around. The possibilities for unique first gens is endless.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm amazed there is that much of left in Jersy!
Like it was said earlier, The Crews are 24 years old now. Just like the Muscle Car Guys, the pickens are getting slim! i was VERY lucky. The rust free ones are still out there, however, I think most of them are in Arizona! If you can weld, fix it. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
Sounds like it could be a fun project. If it was a dually originally, at least that is how I read it, it must be a long bed. I am half looking for a long box crew for a project I have in mind.
  1. convert to 4x4. There are no factory long bed, crew, 4x4s. or...
  2. graft a club cab on to the back of the 4-door cab and put a short box on it. the frame would be the correct wheelbase for this. Just think, reclining buckets in the back and a flip down 2nd or third gen rear seat on the back wall. heck with two benches and a flipdown, you could have seatbelts for nine people and a 6 1/2 foot bed. or...
  3. sell the 4 door cab for half your initial investment, put a std cab on and graft the 2 beds together for something like an 11 foot bed. O.k. now I'm just getting stupid.

Good luck with the decision. If one has a torch and a welder, one cannot have too many crewcabs lying around. The possibilities for unique first gens is endless.

I was told Mike can do anything, wannadiesel told me its a place you should visit if you like cummins powered trucks

I met the guy once at a meet and talking to him was like talking to einstein, I was like 13 years old when i met him

I'm sure he could pull it off,

BTW, they are some cool ideas you stewed up
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM

Sounds like it could be a cool project , I flew across the country to pu my crew cab. cost me $700 in fuel to get it home
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Banned

HEY TROOPERTHORN there should be one of the First ever built longbed crew's up your way it's my old one I was one of if not the first to ever convert a 2x into a 4x4
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm. I wonder who bought it. I will keep my eyes open.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned

you can't miss it 11 inch lift with 325-85R16 michellin tires was a reg box but the guy said he was going to put a flat bed on it