1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

think my water pump has gone out or head gasket is thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think my water pump has gone out or head gasket is thinking about it

think my water pump has gone out,
Its not leaking but truck got a bit hotter than normal

The rad is new so i know it is fine , I was down a bit on water and when i opened the rad cap there was no pressure , I am a little worried I may have a blown head gasket I checked the oil last night but oil looked fine , there was a bit of smoke coming out of the truck on the highway , I was by my self and I was pushin the skinny pedal hard so couldn't tell what color it was

Anyways I am going to change the pump and Thermostat , What should i look for if my head gasket is in the early stages of going
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM

on onne of my motors it started getting warm working it , and losing coolant, i found the headgasket was leaking externally above oil cooler/filter mount hope not your problem.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When the water pump starts to go it'll start weeping coolant out a hole in the bottom. You can find it with your finger, and if it's dry the water pump's not your problem.

Mike
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Just went and looked no seeping but last night after a couple a runs the rad was cold i could touch it
I may be a bit paranoid to , Just my nature .
The truck hasn't being running much either , I just put the nv4500 in
I really am more concerned about a leakin head gasket than a water pump
I just got off the phone from cummins 160 Canadian Plus a 200 core charge on the pump
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by crewcabxlt
on onne of my motors it started getting warm working it , and losing coolant, i found the headgasket was leaking externally above oil cooler/filter mount hope not your problem.
First place i looked nothing
Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
don't buy a water pump from cummins. i understand wanting to stick with genuine cummins parts, but for $50 i bought a generic (duralast) WP at my local autozone. that was without a core which is fine cuz they're cheap. and you get a decent warranty behind it. and when it goes bad, that price is a little easier to swallow for a replacement than $160 plus $200 for the core through cummins. that's just ridiculous.

if you don't have any signs of your radiator leaking but your level is dropping and the truck is running hotter than normal, i would suspect a head gasket. in your case, sounds just like when mine when out. i had no external leaks. turns out, my 20 yr old head gasket began to plug up the coolant passages with some kind of material. i think it was some of the material from the gasket itself coming apart and plugging the passages. now that it's repaired, i've noticed the truck runs cooler than it used to in the past (when the gasket was slowly killing itself). fill your coolant system with water (cuz it's cheap), start the truck with the cap off and looking for steam or "smoke" coming. that was what i discovered and my local radiator guy suspected the head gasket right away and he was right. except he thought it was cracked between a coolant passage and a cylinder because the water got hot fast! but i think it was because the water wouldn't circulate through the system fast enough with the passages in the gasket plugged up. sorry this was so long but i just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it would help you out. feel free to check out my H/G replacement project...

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
don't buy a water pump from cummins. i understand wanting to stick with genuine cummins parts, but for $50 i bought a generic (duralast) WP at my local autozone. that was without a core which is fine cuz they're cheap. and you get a decent warranty behind it. and when it goes bad, that price is a little easier to swallow for a replacement than $160 plus $200 for the core through cummins. that's just ridiculous.

if you don't have any signs of your radiator leaking but your level is dropping and the truck is running hotter than normal, i would suspect a head gasket. in your case, sounds just like when mine when out. i had no external leaks. turns out, my 20 yr old head gasket began to plug up the coolant passages with some kind of material. i think it was some of the material from the gasket itself coming apart and plugging the passages. now that it's repaired, i've noticed the truck runs cooler than it used to in the past (when the gasket was slowly killing itself). fill your coolant system with water (cuz it's cheap), start the truck with the cap off and looking for steam or "smoke" coming. that was what i discovered and my local radiator guy suspected the head gasket right away and he was right. except he thought it was cracked between a coolant passage and a cylinder because the water got hot fast! but i think it was because the water wouldn't circulate through the system fast enough with the passages in the gasket plugged up. sorry this was so long but i just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it would help you out. feel free to check out my H/G replacement project...

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!
No prob I would rather have long and understand than nothing at all
Well just took it for a spin no leaks water was up to the right lvls I am didn't hit the pedal hard just warmed it up and cruzed checked oil looks good just have to see if i loose antifreeze .I still will replace the water pump just cuz and Ya 160 plus core is kinda hard to swallow i will see if Napa or the other parts store has water pumps
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

My water pump went out last December, (somewhere around there) and there were absolutely no signs of it going. Nothing was seeping or leaking, and it didn't run any warmer than usual.

I went outside one morning, and there was a huge green puddle under my truck, and I looked under it, and saw it dripping out. My water pump just failed over night, with no signs beforehand.

I went to my local NAPA and got one of their water pumps, and even though it was more than likely made in China (if that bothers you) it has been perfectly fine since. So, I'd go to a local parts store, and see if they have a warranty before I spent that kind of money, especially since my cheap pump has worked the same as the original.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your overflow tank full? My HG is going. No milkshake but I'm pushing coolant out. It gets warm if I boost too much and blow most of my coolant out
Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 PM

Nope I have no idea what the heck is going on now. ran the livin pee outta it today and had no issues, no loss of coolant. it was hot really hot for here 37c. over flow is fine no weeps on pump nothing . rad was hot,not like the other day were i cold put my hand on it ... Well other than a seal and a bearing in the rear going out of the axle
I still think the head gasket is going , when i start it the puff of soot is not as dark as it usually is but oh well . I just found out that Advanced Adapter sent me the wrong T-case mount friggin not cool and to boot they are acting as if it is my fault considering how much i got juiced by UPS ...... oh well some day I will be done
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM

If the head gasket is leaking you'll get an external leak or it will pressure up the cooling system if there is no oil from the cooler. I had the same problem on a duelly I owned in the mid 90's. Changed the T stat out and never did find the problem before it was stolen....