1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Think I messed-up my injection pump :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Think I messed-up my injection pump :(

So the removal went well, I found the leak and it was coming from the rear of the injection pump. I replaced all the seals(just incase!) and then I got to the rear of the pump. I removed the four star bolts from the back and as I was puilling the shaft came with it and so did this plate;

Name:  HPIM1289.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  103.1 KB

There is only two ways this could go, not knowing I took a guess. I put the pump back together and put a new oring on it. I put the pump back on the truck and took the lock out etc etc. I cranked the truck over and it was squirting fuel out the injector lines. So I cranked down the injector lines and now it's pour from the throttle on the pump. Did I mess it up bad? IF so does anyone know how much diesel mechanics charge to rebuild this? I don't have much money and was hoping my truck would be ready.. just my luck
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bannerd your talking about the the throttel index shaft right?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by twichit
bannerd your talking about the the throttel index shaft right?
When you step on the gas there is a throttle linkage, its coming out from what looks like a allen bolt on the top hat.

this;

is that the throttle index shaft? or you talking about this.. number 2;

Does that cam plate matter what way it goes? I think that might be my issue, although when i crank the truck over diesel pours right out of all the lines. Would it affect the timing at all?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 AM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes thats the index shaft ok on the cam plate what my pump guy told me was it only gose in two ways... in the running pos an a 180 degrees off that if it dont start or run pull it apart an swing the cam plate 180 that should do it i think..........also bannerd your gonnna have to rip the pump apart so why not get the full seal kit and do the whole pump so you have no worries ...it should be no more then $25 that help?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by twichit
yes thats the index shaft ok on the cam plate what my pump guy told me was it only gose in two ways... in the running pos an a 180 degrees off that if it dont start or run pull it apart an swing the cam plate 180 that should do it i think..........also bannerd your gonnna have to rip the pump apart so why not get the full seal kit and do the whole pump so you have no worries ...it should be no more then $25 that help?
I do have the seal kit, that is what I was doing.. hehe. Here is a video, If I can't get her to start I'll have to take the pump off again and flip that around.

View My Video

I'm thinking I might have to take the top hat off and replace that gasket, I think it's leaking from there.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That plate with the little pin is the plate I mentioned to be careful about because it goes in 2 ways. The pin lines up with the shaft key. Been there done that. Lol.... Did you make sure the shaft is all the way up and sealing right?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeFreak
That plate with the little pin is the plate I mentioned to be careful about because it goes in 2 ways. The pin lines up with the shaft key. Been there done that. Lol.... Did you make sure the shaft is all the way up and sealing right?
Yeah the shaft is all the way up and sealed. Ah, I didn't know about that, well I'm going to take this thing apart. Thanks DodgeFreal, I didn't know that.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Did you remove the cam plate from the pump? If you did not then your timing will be fine....but it shouldn't matter since the plunger can only go onto the cam plate one way. Also if you had the plunger out....which you did to be able to take that pic of the pin on the cam plate...did you use a small dollop of grease to hold the thrust pin in place? This is the small round pin that goes between the cam plate and the plunger. If it came loose, or dislodged, during assembly then this could be why your not firing.

I know this because when I did my pump I forgot the grease to hold the pin...it came loose and got caught half way between the plunger and cam plate. Then when I started to crank the motor it shattered and caused some major damage in my pump. Took me several days to finally figure out what happened. I had to get another pump....
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Woohoo, fixed I took some pictures so I might do a write up of how everything works. I have a 366 spring in there so that is nice, also the cam plate was in wrong hehe.