1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Things to do before a long trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things to do before a long trip

This spring I will be moving from northern Maine to Houston. Keeping in mind that I will have just basic tools once I am down there I am trying to think of the stuff that should be done before I go while I have access to the shop for vices, air tools, presses, torque wrenches, torches, welders and all that good stuff. Also there is the temperature change which will bring out all the leaks and drips that are currently iced over and never thought about.

Fist thing I can picture is me sitting on the side of the road with a blown radiator hose, so I figure I will change both of them and the belt just for good measure.

My second picture is me and the girlfriend driving with our heads out the window because the AC crapped out. I only need it a few weeks a year up here so it doesn't see much use.. although it did seem to work good for those few days. It does have R134a in it but that's probably all that has ever been done. So I am open to low cost suggestions there. I will do the Jim Lane fan relay so worse case we can at least have some air movement.

I do have insulation through out the cab so that should help with the temperature. and I have a visor that I could put on too, it may help offset some the heat attraction of the black truck.

I will have the transmission out to do some tightening up on it and will probably change the bushing in the flywheel and check the clutch, I hope it is ok for now or that will eat my entire maintenance budget.

The front shocks and coils are new and I have 4 ball joints waiting for the front and shocks for the rear.

The rear axle has the usual turning play back and forth but is quiet. I guess that is good to go for a while still.

I plan on opening the rear breaks to inspect and clean up. Then check the wheel bearings while I'm in there. Same thing with the front, check and clean breaks and bearings.

Valve adjustment is on the list too.

I will have to inspect the power steering as I have a slow drip in the summer that will probably open up to a steady pour once it sees 110* outside.

The radiator isn't in the best shape its starting to deteriorate, up here its no problem.. last sumer I put the fan blade back on in late July so I could do some towing. I wont be towing down there but I should probably do a coolant flush either way. What do you guys think, how hot does your truck run in hot weather?

So other than the usual filters and fluids change what else do think I should look at or do?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Ace
Banned

I think you got it covered pretty good, but I would definitely put priority on that radiator/flush for summer driving in Houston. Fan clutch too - check/replace.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not that bad in Houston, "100 degrees" Humidity @ 80 plus percent. The humidity is what will kill ya and make your A/C hump up. The real truck killer in Houston is the crazy drivers, "they ain't skeered of a 18 wheeler much less a 1 ton pickup". Yes Jim Lane fan relay is the next project for me. Wish you the best in the Houston area. We live about 80 miles north of there and go there quite often, "watch out for the crazy drivers" and the rest will take care of itself.
Good Luck
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would at least take the pumpkin cover off and have a look at the carrier. I have had 2 different trucks lose the cross pin and blow the rear end. The pin gets loose and that could cause your rear end slop.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Give your u-joints a good inspection. You probably already have this on your list, but better to do now than on the side of the road when it's cold n wet or hot n humid. Change the getrag oil and overfill it back with an extra quart.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Richie O
I would at least take the pumpkin cover off and have a look at the carrier. I have had 2 different trucks lose the cross pin and blow the rear end. The pin gets loose and that could cause your rear end slop.
I was in there last summer to change the fluid, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary but then again I wasn't looking for loose pins.

Originally Posted by RollinCoalSmoke
Give your u-joints a good inspection. You probably already have this on your list, but better to do now than on the side of the road when it's cold n wet or hot n humid. Change the getrag oil and overfill it back with an extra quart.
U-joins were new last summer with a spare under the seat, but I will check them again to make sure they are all good to go. I just got one of those Harbor Freight ball joint presses so changing u-joints on the side of the road should be a little easier with that I guess.

Getrag will be overfilled with mobile 1.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
I think you got it covered pretty good, but I would definitely put priority on that radiator/flush for summer driving in Houston. Fan clutch too - check/replace.
If I change the hoses then I guess I might as well do the flush too and look into getting a new radiator, wonder what that will cost?

Originally Posted by RollinCoalSmoke
It's not that bad in Houston, "100 degrees" Humidity @ 80 plus percent. The humidity is what will kill ya and make your A/C hump up. The real truck killer in Houston is the crazy drivers, "they ain't skeered of a 18 wheeler much less a 1 ton pickup". Yes Jim Lane fan relay is the next project for me. Wish you the best in the Houston area. We live about 80 miles north of there and go there quite often, "watch out for the crazy drivers" and the rest will take care of itself.
Good Luck
Yeah the drivers are something else, there are almost 4x as many people in Houston as there is in the entire state of Maine. Its crossed my mind all the cash that I have and will be putting into the truck, then to have it get totaled and be worth a couple thousand bucks at best. I was thinking of maybe getting a newer truck after I'm down there.... who cares if someone crashes into one of them, I could go get a new one just like it the next day.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM

REPACK WHEEL BEARINGS!!!! Side note... buddys 93 4x4 shelled the driver side outer bearing on him. lucky it was icy he would have rolled the truck. took out the spindle the hub the hub reciever the rotor and the wheel and tire. so definately before a long trip... service the wheel bearings!!!!