1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

There goes another voltage regulator help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
9MM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There goes another voltage regulator help.

So I just checked my alternator and it seems to be putting out the same volts on both contacts on it my dads truck one is higher then the other.

Is my alternator ******?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If you are referring to the voltage measured at both the small field terminals, with the engine running, it sounds like there is good continuity through the brushes and field winding, so that should rule out the alternator as the problem and point toward the voltage regulator or its circuit as being the problem.

That circuit is supplied battery voltage from the ASD relay, and the ground side is controlled by the voltage regulator. So, if you are not seeing any ground potential at one of those terminals, you need to look at the regulator. I don't have the schematic handy, but you can apply ground to one of the pins at the regulator and see if it "full fields" the alternator, or forces it into full output.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
9MM
Banned

How would I apply ground to it all it has is two wires that are in a plug.

Okay so your saying there might be a fault relay at the heart of this problem?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by 9MM
So I just checked my alternator and it seems to be putting out the same volts on both contacts on it my dads truck one is higher then the other.

Is my alternator ******?

I can't understand your situation from your description.

What voltage are you seeing at the battery --- way too high or too low ??

I have acquired a distrust for these ND alternators and the Chrysler regulator; I am un-certain which or both is the culprit, but these trucks have way more than their share of regulator problems.

My half-a-million-mile 1978 Chevy has never had a regulator fail (internal).

Likewise the two very high mileage Fords (external).

Numerous tractors, loaders, and such and never a regulator failure.

On the other hand, the three Dodge/Cummins trucks we own have had more new regulators than oil filters and we change oil frequently.

For example, the wife's truck lost the regulator one night, boiled over the battery, and shot both head-lights in less than a mile.

A couple weeks later, with the good blue Mopar regulator, it just quit charging.

Trouble-shooting that situation took out three more regulators.

I swapped on a known-good extra alternator and fixed it for now, but I don't trust it to stay fixed long.

Which is why I have been systematically converting everything to 110-555 Leece-Nevilles.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
9MM
Banned

um well it keeps pegging the gauge every time it blows a regulator but I just found a broken battery connector on the ground my stereo has been going wonky today as if it's not getting enough juice so it turns off then back n off n you get the picture so I am going to buy a new regulator and battery post tomorrow n go from there.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 AM

One thing i've noticed during my ford crewcab build is grounds. The Ford has ground straps everywhere! between the frame and cab, frame and core. In fact there is one at each front cab mount and one at each core support. One from the cab to the hood, one from the cab to the engine. Seems like everywhere I look there is a ground strap.

On the dodge ?????????????????????????? i'm still looking for a factory ground strap between anything.

So I guess what i'm saying is I think ground straps could be the solution!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 AM
9MM
Banned

All I know is theres a small wire from the battery to the body thats about it
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 9MM
How would I apply ground to it all it has is two wires that are in a plug.

Okay so your saying there might be a fault relay at the heart of this problem?
I was assuming that your alternator wasn't charging at all. If this is the case, you would need to determine which wire at the regulator leads to the alternator's field terminal and apply ground to it momentarily while monitoring charge voltage. If the alternator then starts charging, you have proven that the problem lies within the regulator, its ground, or its power supply.

The relay's job is to supply battery voltage to the field. If there is batttery voltage there, as you had noted, the relay sounds as though it is doing its job.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM
9MM
Banned

no no I think the problem was I tried boosting a vehicle with my amp on and didn't realize i had a loose ground terminal on my battery.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shorted out the FSS wire one day when I crimped the female spade connector down. Blew out the regulator right there. Think that's what happened to the precious one, too. My voltage is more stable than it ever has been, since I found the short in the harness over the booster.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by scot pa
I shorted out the FSS wire one day when I crimped the female spade connector down. Blew out the regulator right there. Think that's what happened to the precious one, too. My voltage is more stable than it ever has been, since I found the short in the harness over the booster.
Mines been fine for months now. Got a different brand one that's made in the US seems to work better then the Japanese **** but I might get a spare just in case I'm outta town n it blows on me.