1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Is There a Better Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is There a Better Fan

Is there a better fan than the stock one? One that will move more air when the clutch kicks in.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 PM

WORSE THAN THE COCKPIT OF THE CONCORDE!

Hey Hippie.
Just saw your picture gallery and the pic of the interior, guages, radios, switches, GPS, phones and OTHER paraphenalia is astounding.
The last time I saw that many guages was in the cockpit of an Boeing 767 airliner.
Man! How do ya go pee with all that stuff on?

Is that CTD like the new AIRBUS 3XXX? All drive by wire and no navigator. You need a pilots licence. Not a driver's licence.

P.S. Just kiddin'............. Nice truck.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your cooling system is up to snuff the stocker should be plenty. My 93s temp will drop pretty quick when the fan kicks in. You could always remove the clutch and install rhe spacer like our loaders CTD has.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh my! - the stock fan won't throw enough air?!?! I admit I am not too familiar with the 1st gen fan but if it is anything like a 2nd gen then it feels like there is a helicopter trapped under the hood when the clutch is fully locked! These are huge solid blade fans that don't need to lock up too long to cool the rad down in a hurry. If I were to guess I would suspect that you are no longer getting full lock up out of your clutch. If you were, I really don't think air flow would be an issue.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
If everything is clean and the shrouds are intact, I don't think the fan is your problem. In general, also, the fan does nothing at speeds over 45mph that ram air won't take care of.

There is an electric Horton fan clutch available for these engines, though, if you really feel the need, which would allow you to manually engage the fan when you wanted it. . .
Old 08-04-2004, 10:47 AM

Re: WORSE THAN THE COCKPIT OF THE CONCORDE!

Originally posted by Rammer64
Hey Hippie.
Just saw your picture gallery and the pic of the interior, guages, radios, switches, GPS, phones and OTHER paraphenalia is astounding.
The last time I saw that many guages was in the cockpit of an Boeing 767 airliner.
Man! How do ya go pee with all that stuff on?

Is that CTD like the new AIRBUS 3XXX? All drive by wire and no navigator. You need a pilots licence. Not a driver's licence.

P.S. Just kiddin'............. Nice truck.
oh man, is there a fish finder in there? jIMMy
Old 08-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If the fan is kicking in and you're still overheating, the problem isn't the fan. The fan moves more than enough air to keep the engine cool. How long has it been since the radiator has been boiled out/ replaced?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And after owing both a defective fanned CTD and one that is right I say the fan does help even if your doin 75 mph. Mine still can heat up a little,but when the fan comes on down it goes. I feel the grill hampers air flow enough to not effictivle cool the complete radiator area.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Fan

My cooling system is up to par, I even use distilled water with the antifreeze, and I change it every year. I was just woundering if there was a better fan. When I'm pulling steep hills pulling my 5er in the heat the temp comes up just a little above the first mark. Everything works as it should. Nope I don't have a fish finder but I do have a cop finder.:D I also am going to put three more gages on the over head console. Trans temp, rearend temp and engine oil temp. I'm just getting started with this old jewel. I'm also looking for a lap top mount so I can put my lap top where I can see it better while it's interfaced with the GPS. Now I need to have it painted but that will come soon, or later.. I want to put an NV5600 in it with a Gear Venders spliter. That should help with the hills, ( mountains ) I also want to put in an exhust brake. It takes time and I have a lot that now. Now just for more $$$$$. Thanks for the replys. I'll see ya down the road. Hippie and Sissy Full time RVers. Forever!! :D ;) ...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Alec
There is an electric Horton fan clutch available for these engines, though, if you really feel the need, which would allow you to manually engage the fan when you wanted it. . .
I wonder if this would be helpful for engine braking, like on Class 8 Rigs? The fan would help add about another 10-25 Braking Horsepower for those hauling larger loads down steep grades if it were wired to come on when the exhaust brake engaged.

Where can I find info on this fan?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:37 AM

http://www.hortoninc.com/products/products.asp
Old 08-17-2004, 10:59 AM

Thanks for everybody's replies...
Old 08-17-2004, 03:19 PM

Were you referring to the EC450? I looked at the aplications for this and it didn't list an aplication for Dodges.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 PM

Try this . . . http://www.hortoninc.com/catalog/fan...&units=english Although on further look, these all seem to be air operated units.

I know I saw a 6Bt with an electric clutch somewhere . . . sorry I don't have the part number. You might be able to call them and get some help.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM

I found this same page, thats why I was wondering if you had found something different. OH well.

Quick Reply: Is There a Better Fan