1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tempt. at which diesel fuel jells

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tempt. at which diesel fuel jells

Do any of you fellows know the temperature at which diesel fuel?

About two weeks ago our temperature dropped down to 10*. Normaly it drops to the high teens or low 20.

That morning the truck started as usual, it ran rough for 5/10 seconds than smoothed out and ran ok.

I left out the drive way and reached the main road which was maybe a 100 yards than it quit, just died.

I was thinking that the fuel had maybe jelled and left the truck where it was for about 3 hours. At that time I attempted to start it. No Go.

I had the truck towed to a shop that I trust and jelled fuel was what they came up with.

I asked them the above question and they could not give me an exact temp. That the temp would very some and I can under stand that.

I just would like to know an exact temp than I will adjust my actions to that. Will I put the truck in the shop or non-jell treatment in the tank.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM

You can ask 100 people that question and you will get several different answers and most likely none will be correct. There are too many variables to give an exact answer. The crude oil base stock used to make the fuel will affect the jell point. I have had fuel jell in the low 20's.

I wouldn't put too much faith in fuel treatment if you live in a cold climate. Where I live you can expect a week or so of -30*F temps. No fuel treatment I have ever used works when it gets that cold. I had a new un-opened bottle of Power Service fuel treatment jell up in my tool box. The only thing I trust is winter blended fuel. Around here they blend 70% #1 with 30% #2.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on how it treated and the percentage of bio mixed in. We had trucks at work last year gelling up at 30f. This year we had single digits and around 15f is when the fuel would start waxing. I always start treating it when it get low 30's and lower. I like to use howes and kerosene.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 AM

My truck came home on a wrecker last Thursday at 8*.
Is drove about 10 to 12 miles after a 5- 10 minute warm up and it was parked in the garage , plugged in, then it quit.

I put it in the garage, turned on the heat, dropped the tank, blew out the lines, installed a fresh filter (less then 3000 miles om the last one) and fresh fuel, bled and she fired .
I had approximately 2% bio mixed when it gelled. Hard to believe, but it must have been the bio.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
You can ask 100 people that question and you will get several different answers and most likely none will be correct. There are too many variables to give an exact answer. The crude oil base stock used to make the fuel will affect the jell point. I have had fuel jell in the low 20's.

I wouldn't put too much faith in fuel treatment if you live in a cold climate. Where I live you can expect a week or so of -30*F temps. No fuel treatment I have ever used works when it gets that cold. I had a new un-opened bottle of Power Service fuel treatment jell up in my tool box. The only thing I trust is winter blended fuel. Around here they blend 70% #1 with 30% #2.
In tank/inline fuel heater is the best option.

http://www.arctic-fox.com/fuel-fluid...e-fuel-warming

Truckers use these so they're not idling the truck all through the night. Run a secondary battery, heat up the fuel lines and the fuel in the tank. run a primary cell for ignition.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had that same situation.
It is usually the filter that clogs up because you are trying to push thick fuel through the membrane.
So this time of year its wise to carry a spare filter and a bottle of diesel 911 or similar. Often you can just remove the filter and install a new one filled with 911, and be on your way again in minutes.
Another solution is to carry a small propane torch. Set it low and gently warm the filter without burning anything else. Maybe dont do this if you have a dirty, oily, leaky engine.

I installed a 12v filter wrap heater. On cold mornings (< 20*) I start the truck and turn on the filter heater, let it idle in the driveway for 10 min. before leaving. Never been stuck since.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by APD
I had that same situation.
It is usually the filter that clogs up because you are trying to push thick fuel through the membrane.
So this time of year its wise to carry a spare filter and a bottle of diesel 911 or similar. Often you can just remove the filter and install a new one filled with 911, and be on your way again in minutes.
Another solution is to carry a small propane torch. Set it low and gently warm the filter without burning anything else. Maybe dont do this if you have a dirty, oily, leaky engine.

I installed a 12v filter wrap heater. On cold mornings (< 20*) I start the truck and turn on the filter heater, let it idle in the driveway for 10 min. before leaving. Never been stuck since.
Maybe I'm just dumb, but how is this helping if your tank has gelled?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM

You can poor 911 in the actual tank and it will thaw it out. We use it all the time on the farm it works great. I would still run an addative in your fuel though. It has never let me down. Gets too -20 here a lot during the winter and I have not gelled up a truck.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Part of the reason the heater on the fuel filter helps is once you can get thie motor running you are pumping hot excess fuel back into the tank warming up the fuel in the tank. This won't help at extreme temps but where it is borderline it will help.
also by heating the fuel filter it removes the bottleneck of gelled fuel plugging up the filter.
Del
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
This has worked really well for me: Fuel Heater Sticky
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alec
This has worked really well for me: Fuel Heater Sticky
I realize this is the 1st gen forum but I'll ask anyway.

If the factory fuel filter has been deleted on my 24valve(airdog system installed), do I no longer have that fuel heater?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nope. Heating element is in the FF canister.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

The 12V fuel heater is the plastic ring about an inch thick that the filter attaches to, the threaded spud comes out of the heater. So if working as designed the fuel is heated BEFORE entering the filter. ( how often do things work as designed?)

If your really concerned about the tank gelling, you can find warning pads that attach to the tank, most tractor dealers will have them or can order them
But if you add an anti-gel before it gets cold, and that in the fuel lines, you shouldn't have any issues unless your one of the folks in Canada/Alaska type winter weather
It gets below zero here regularly and I've never had a gelling issue unless I forgot to add additive
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 PM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Numidian
Maybe I'm just dumb, but how is this helping if your tank has gelled?
Gelled fuel still flows, but the filter is the bottleneck.

If you are able to start the truck at all (which is what the OP wrote, and my experience as well) it pulls gelled fuel until the filter gets plugged and starves the engine of fuel. (this is why its good to let it idle for a while on cold mornings...if you drive the fuel demand is too great and cant get enough past the filter). If you let it idle, it can pull just enough fuel through the filter to continue running, and warms the incoming fuel more and more the longer it runs.
Swapping out the filter and filling with 911 allows it to run and warm up, and also recirculates the 911 and mixes it with new fuel. Recirculated fuel picks up heat from the injectors to further speed up the de-gelling.

It's always worked for me in upstate NY, but the coldest I remember this happening was about -7*F.
Way north in Canada it may not be as easy.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have lived in sub-o temps for years the best way to free up gelled fuel is to use kerosene Always pack a 5 gal can with you. The other problem is frozen fuel filters,as fuel gos through heating cycles you pick up moisture and that is what freezes in the filters always a good idea to pack a spare with you and use a 10 micron in the winter!

Quick Reply: Tempt. at which diesel fuel jells