1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Takin' up the slack

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Takin' up the slack

Rebuilt my Power-Lok diff this morning. The clutch packs were totally shot, a friction plate in each side had been cut through by the dished steel plate next to it. The friction plates next to the side gears were totally shiny, no facing left on them at all. All the slack in the axle was due to the clutch packs being worn so bad. This allowed the side gears to move too far out, which meant they were only meshing with the spiders at the very tip. Pics of this mess are in my photo gallery.

It was a pretty easy job, the worst part was lifting the diff back into the housing - that sucker is heavy! It's hard to stand the smell of the friction modifier additive too, it smells like rancid oranges. You get in big trouble if you try to soak the clutch plates in the basement the night before - better do that outside. Took me about 3 hours from backing in the driveway to putting away the last tool.

The truck drives much smoother now. I used to have to roll in and out of the gas very gently to avoid jerky shifts because of all the slack in the rear. Goes from drive to coast without a jerk now.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Some pics of the ugliness within:

Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does make it go much better, doesn't it Dave. Once you've done it once, now isn't so bad if you need to do it again. I just wish I had a Power-Lok instead of my Open Diff. Since replacing my Spider & Side gears, I can no longer get Posi out of my Brake Locks. I try and try but that stupid right rear tire just SMOKES. Starting to notice the tread depth is different from it.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Nuttymopar-
Thanks again for the link to Reider Racing, they were very understanding about my stupid mistake (I thought I had an open diff) and got me the right pieces in time for the weekend.

Hopefully once the POD's go in all 4 will smoke on mine.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don't forget about checking those U-Joints all around (Rear Driveshaft, Frt Driveshaft & Frt Axle). That would be the next to blow up.