1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

T Case/ Front Axle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T Case/ Front Axle Problems

Last week I driving the truck and looked under it after I stopped. Gear oil was running out of the front output transfer case flange. I hopped under and grabbed the driveshaft. The front output was loose, I figured it was time for a rebuild.

So I get it out and tear it down. Found that the flange was loose on the output shaft. So I went further into investigation. Front driveshaft splines are loose, but not gonna cause a problem.

I dug far enough and found that when the front wheels are turned that the manual hubs enguage and turn the driveshaft. Sometimes the hubs don't release continually run the front output shaft of the transfer case.

Has anyone come across this before, or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Glenn
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

the quick way to relese the hubs is after you take the truck out of 4x4 you unlock the hubs then put truck in reverse for a few feet and it should release the hubs incase they are stuck..

very very common in old ford 4x4 dana 44..
Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BRUISER
the quick way to relese the hubs is after you take the truck out of 4x4 you unlock the hubs then put truck in reverse for a few feet and it should release the hubs incase they are stuck..

very very common in old ford 4x4 dana 44..
I can climb under the truck and spin the front diff when the wheels are straight ahead. As soon as the steering wheel is turned then the hubs enguage. I am wondering if the spindle needle bearings that support the axle stub shaft are gone or worse case scenario the axle stubs are grooved. I can not move the axle shafts (no play).

The biggest reason I am trying to diag this first before I rip it apart, is the closest major supply center is an hour away.

Thanks

Glenn
Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM

the hubs are easy to pull apart and check.. I would just pull the hubs apart and see if there is an issue with those.. they should not just engage
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It is most likly the axle joints binding if you can not spin driveshaft only when the wheels are turned. When they get dry they do not want bend.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Richie O
It is most likly the axle joints binding if you can not spin driveshaft only when the wheels are turned. When they get dry they do not want bend.
We have a winner!!!!

Got it all apart and the ujoints are seizing up. I am in the process of fixing that right now.

My second problem from the front axle enguaging all the time is the front output flange is now wore and loose on the output shaft.

Thanks for the help.

Glenn