1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Swear man it's always something with these trucks or just my bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Swear man it's always something with these trucks or just my bad luck

Man, feeling all good with the recent replacement of new yokes and u joints. Decide to take the new tight ride for a drive up in the woods. Driving over that type of gravel road that's got ruts like a tank drove thru there and my son starts smelling something weird. I start smelling it and pull over and I see this green yellow puss pouring out somewhere all over my front diff. Diagnosed it by odor as refrigerant and it's pouring out from the compressor. I shut the truck off and replaced the belt with a non a/c belt to get as home. After pressure washing the engine compartment and investigating I find that the low pressure hose connection at the compressor had sheared off!!! Now I have a hose with partial male threads in it and a compressor that's 6 months new that is no good!!! How does that happen? Just put that thing in 6 months ago and at $360, it wasn't cheap!!! Does it sound like I will be able to get that replaced under warranty?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Compressor is probally ok, but pressure washing was not a good idea since you most likely got some water into compressor and low pressure line. Water in ac system can cause many problems so you need to make sure you get the water out of the compressor and ac system. Replace the hoses and recharge and I hope you have converted to R134 already.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go buy a new truck with a warranty. then when that warranty is over go buy a new truck.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Compressor is probally ok, but pressure washing was not a good idea since you most likely got some water into compressor and low pressure line. Water in ac system can cause many problems so you need to make sure you get the water out of the compressor and ac system. Replace the hoses and recharge and I hope you have converted to R134 already.
Compressor is not good!! The male threads at the low pressure side of the compressor is sheared off and my hose has the threaded portion that sheared off stuck onto its female threads!!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bobva
Just go buy a new truck with a warranty. then when that warranty is over go buy a new truck.
What is that all about, bobva??? Already have a new truck. Wanted to know about compressor warranties
Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless you have a reallllly good relationship with your parts supplier I doubt you will get a free replacement. Is the broken fitting directly into the compressor or is it on a manifold that bolts to the compressor? If it's on a manifold it would be easy to weld the fitting or replace the manifold. If it's direct into the compressor you would need to disassemble the compressor to weld or the heat will ruin all the seals etc. either way it would be cheaper than a new compressor. And yes, if you use these trucks there always seems to be something wrong but at least you can work on them without a degree in electrical engineering. Good luck
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
Dude, that's just plain cold, really cold.

Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigragu
What is that all about, bobva??? Already have a new truck. Wanted to know about compressor warranties

OPPPS me real bad

I was playing on the comp reading in this forum and emailing at the same time .

What I posted here was a email responce

I must have Hit the wrong button and got screens mixed up,
Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Montana2x2
Unless you have a reallllly good relationship with your parts supplier I doubt you will get a free replacement. Is the broken fitting directly into the compressor or is it on a manifold that bolts to the compressor? If it's on a manifold it would be easy to weld the fitting or replace the manifold. If it's direct into the compressor you would need to disassemble the compressor to weld or the heat will ruin all the seals etc. either way it would be cheaper than a new compressor. And yes, if you use these trucks there always seems to be something wrong but at least you can work on them without a degree in electrical engineering. Good luck
I'll look to see if the end of the compressor that houses the ports is a part of the compressor that can be replaced or if it is a solid end. Good call. Thnx
Old 12-31-2014, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
If it is an SD708 the end with the threads is replaceble, you would need the end piece and a new gasket.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...YOBRQwv-KOSexg

I know nothing about this company but I would check with an AC shop locally or even eBay.
I would give it an extra hour or 2 on the vacuum pump.

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Man, feeling all good with the recent replacement of new yokes and u joints. Decide to take the new tight ride for a drive up in the woods. Driving over that type of gravel road that's got ruts like a tank drove thru there and my son starts smelling something weird. I start smelling it and pull over and I see this green yellow puss pouring out somewhere all over my front diff. Diagnosed it by odor as refrigerant and it's pouring out from the compressor. I shut the truck off and replaced the belt with a non a/c belt to get as home. After pressure washing the engine compartment and investigating I find that the low pressure hose connection at the compressor had sheared off!!! Now I have a hose with partial male threads in it and a compressor that's 6 months new that is no good!!! How does that happen? Just put that thing in 6 months ago and at $360, it wasn't cheap!!! Does it sound like I will be able to get that replaced under warranty?
When you drive over a brush pile and some ironwood stems spear up into your engine compartment and shear off a hose, is it bad luck, or something else?

I've lost heater hoses, oil lines, radiators, brake lines, etc. in the woods. Usually walked out with a weird gait, kicking myself every other step.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I feel you, brother... seems like it's always something regardless of the year or make. My 04 had an awesome record until a year or so ago, not it's minor little bs all the time. Just have to stay strong!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ditto on that feeling sometimes. I mean how many things do you have to repair/replace/maintain before it's new again and there should be nothing else! That being said, my experience with my first 91 with low miles (80K) was many years/miles of trouble free driving before I started replacing stuff (250K) or so. My opinion on that is I had not had such a reliable rig before as most of my other rigs has been troublesome starting at 100K. So I guess it's same issues as any other rig except they don't start till 200+K?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM

Called my parts house and explained what happened. The compressor is still under warranty, so they will replace not only the compressor but a new filter drier as well. Now my battle is to find a way to remove the sheared nipple that's caught in the low pressure hose end in hopes of saving my hose. Keep you posted
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM

By the way guys, sorry for venting out like I made it to be like our 1st gens are piles of tae. I complain to my wife but she knows me better. After 30 years as a hands on sheet metal worker and 14 years of remodeling our home she knows deep inside under the anger she knows I get off on fixing and doing it right. I teach my trade now so I don't get my mittens dirty unless I work on my dodge. Therapy for both mind and hand skills. I have a feeling when I hit those ruts that larger hose with about 6" of steel on the end caused it to whip lash and snap off the nipple. Going to secure it someway

Quick Reply: Swear man it's always something with these trucks or just my bad luck