1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

swap turbos/ How would you setup ur truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swap turbos/ How would you setup ur truck?

1) I have a 91 stock turbo(assuming its 12cm non w/g) on a truck to be sold.On my 92 I have an alleged Banks 14cm w/g. Is there any advantage to my 92 by swapping them?

2) taking into account the verdict of swapping, I need a plan. The 92 will be a partial daily driver, occasionally towing 10k machinery, I would like to drag1/4 mi. a little,likely to never pull a sled. I would like to blow off modern diesels at the lites and maybe see 300 horses? I can't drive with a black cloud every day. 3.54 gears and a 5spd. 160 k miles, Banks 3.5 ex,14 cm turbine housing ,stock I/c ,pacbrake,guages, already in it.I am willing to undo any and money shouldn't be an issue.Just wanted to start off right and move on with quality.I want it to be as fun and quick as a modern truck. I will also be doing anything else it takes to restore /upgrade.

what turbo setup w/ or w/o what i have. what psi am I going after?
injectors?
obvious pump mods, new ve or a p-pump? would rather not ppump
timing bump?
don't want it on drugs
exhaust details.. (will be straight before wheels) sizing on components??
should I bother with the I/C?
will do a bhaf of some kind
what supply pump?
big lines?
has heavier exh. springs for pacbrake...eliminate pac?
gsk 3200..or...?
what fuel pin?
ANY OTHER INPUT PLEASE.
Possibly will do a gear vendors

SORRY this is lengthy but i wannna do it right once, you guys have the experience.THANKS for all the input,I especially want to see what Wanna says! When is there an event in NE PA?

Also dumb newbie q's.....afc is short for...? ksb is....?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 PM

12cm and 14cm are not stock sizes for a first gen. If it was me I would keep the 14cm w/g, you will probably like the w/g and it cost a LOT more that the 12cm anyways. I would like one with a stage III or IV upgrade.

Sounds like you have a nice truck there. With some gauges I would crank up the pump, bump the timing, why not drugs?, 3.5 straight pipe would be good if you have it already, I would leave the IC alone for now, do a BHAF,get a piston lift pump, the heavier springs will be a plus as would the pac brake, I would keep it. Do a 3200 spring, grind your pin, and a gear vendors would be real cool.

After that then maybe bigger injectors, 7.3 intercooler, bigger lines, and an extra supply pump.

Thats me, others will likely have a better input of how they would spend your $.

afc is air fuel control, it is on top of the pump and gives more fuel with more boost by pushing on the fuel pin.

ksb I guess is german, but it advances the timing in cold temperatures to reduce white smoke on start up, it is on the side of the IP and looks like a little wheel cylinder(i think).
Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM

What was the non I/C (early 91) turbine size and what was it in 92? As of now i have the wastegate disconnected as it seems to open too readily ( or is there not enough fuel?).I was only peaking 12 psi for a sec and could barely hold 10. I will give it more fuel and reconnect shortly... Thanks for you advice, all will be considered.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 91 had a 18.5cm housing. No wastegate. It'll look bigger than the Banks unit on the newer truck, but not as long. Keep the Banks 14wg...it's about as good as it gets for a hybrid on a 1st gen. Sounds like you've got a boost leak or just not enough fuel--time to look at all the plumbing and start ruling things out. As I said, the 14 is a good housing. It'll support 300 RWHP, though things will get toasty when towing...prolly only able to use 3/4 of 300 RWHP while towing, maybe less. The good news is that 1st gens make absurd amounts of torque for a given HP, so yanking around 10k won't be an issue at all

I would recommend a better compressor side for the stock turbo (AKA HTT stage III or IV) and some custom EDM's and let the builder know your HP goals and intended use. Slap a 1st gen piston lift pump on there with a fuel pressure gauge mounted post filter for good measure and, with proper tuning, you'll have a 300RWHP truck that can easily be daily driven, get 20+mpg doing it and yank the tounge right off a trailer when need be
Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 89 w350 it came with a 18cm housing. This might help to tell you what came on what http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm Check at the middle of the page.

Ryan