1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Super 40/35 14cm is on!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Super 40/35 14cm is on!

Worked on it for a few hours yesterday to get it bolted in. By Friday, I had all the necessary parts I needed to do the swap. Everything went in very smooth and quick. Then I discovered I didn't have the adapter for the oil line into the turbo. Blame it on not doing any research first and then finding out that non i/c h1c's don't have this adapter. It was my lucky day after making a Facebook post stating that I was in desperate need of it. A good friend of mine text me a picture of it saying "looking for this?" I asked him how much and he said not to worry. That made my day!!

Got it pre-lubed with some oil, tightened up the oil line then started it....

This thing's loud!!! Can you see why?

If anyone wants, I can shoot a video with the exhaust like this. It actually sounds good idling but when you're driving, you get one heck of a foot massage .

The exhaust is only temporary until next weekend when I can get to a local muffler shop and have a section of 4" expanded to slip over the downpipe then put a seal-clamp on it. From there, it'll take a turn out to the side and exit in front of the rear wheel with the turn-down tip just barely sticking out. I plan to cut a couple sections off of my previous exhaust system and probably be able to use the existing hangers. You'll love this... One solid piece from the downpipe to the end. A 10ft. length of 4" was welded to it last year when I finally upgraded to 4" exhaust.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey that looks a little familiar!! Glad you got it all buttoned up and running.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice truck you're building. It has come a long way! Just make sure you NEVER sell :-)
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Thanks Nick!! The best looking part of the truck is under the hood at this point. I'm sometimes tempted to drive around topless so everyone can see the pretty motor . Paint is the next BIG project to tackle. I've got a gallon of duplicolor's bedliner that I plan on spraying the panels of the bed with and I'll probably buy an extra gallon just in case I run short of enough to cover it all.

I plan on removing the bed for that part of it and while it's off, I can sand, primer (if necessary) and paint the back of the cab as well as the remainder of it. There's some rust to be killed under the drip rail across the windshield. The windshield needs replacing anyway, so I'll take care of the rust when it comes out. It's definitely come a long way since back when I got it in December of 2008!! When I stumble upon old pictures of the motor before the headgasket project, I look at it and think "Wow! She was kinda ugly." But we all start somewhere and it usually doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside. It's what's under the hood that counts! Lately I've been referring to it as "Project Rust Bucket's Big Brother" . At least Jason's only shows 2 colors, white and rust. Mine...? I don't think I can count how many colors exist .
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That just makes it more fun when you beat up on the nicer looking ones they never expect it. I love doing that with mine. Little ricer guys get really mad. I love when they have their gf in the car and talk crap then go away with their tail between their legs.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM

How much of PITA is it to set the wastegate??
Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Nice Jim. Getting ready to do my new turbo too.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
How much of PITA is it to set the wastegate??
Not much. Just run a boost line to it and add a manual boost controller inline.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Not much. Just run a boost line to it and add a manual boost controller inline.
I'm sure that's easier than messing with the actuator rod and jam nut? I searched for boost elbows on google but don't recall turning up many results. Any suggestions on where I can get one for a reasonable price?

Even if the wastegate is set below 20psi as is, a boost elbow should allow it to open later with the fine adjustments of the set screw, right?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I got my boost controller off ebay. The one I got was sold by Lower Shores Performance.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM

that looks like a brand new turbo? that looks dang good! you have a dang nice engine compartment! looks like that turbo outlet elbow worked for you?

I remember when i had just the downpipe on my turbo back when i had my hy35 turbo on, it was freakin loud! you couldn't even stand it! it was way wors than the hood stack. Looks good though
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM

oh and what did you paint your manifold with or is it ceramic coated?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
that looks like a brand new turbo? that looks dang good! you have a dang nice engine compartment! looks like that turbo outlet elbow worked for you?

I remember when i had just the downpipe on my turbo back when i had my hy35 turbo on, it was freakin loud! you couldn't even stand it! it was way wors than the hood stack. Looks good though
Thanks Austin! It's a fairly low mileage turbo. Maybe 20-30K at most. The compressor housing was painted with high temp silver and the turbine housing coated in POR 15 stuff by Aaron when he had it. And yes, the outlet elbow works perfect, thank you!! I bought some high temp silver (can actually says flat aluminum but close enough) to touch up the compressor housing in the future if necessary and to coat the outlet elbow too. The 4" intake tube will get the hemi orange treatment this weekend . I'm also going to buy some high temp black paint and coat the downpipe with it. I'll buy enough cans to cover the rest of the system too.

It's definitely a loud one at the moment!! Hard to hear the motor anymore . It actually sounds kinda good when you've got your foot pretty deep in the pedal. I'll see if I can shoot a video tomorrow on my way home from work. I'll have to try and keep it short as my iphone shoots in 720p HD. Thus, the file might be kinda large. But I'll do my best!!

I painted my manifold last August (during my headgasket swap) with some Rustoleum that I found at Autozone. It's capable of temps up to 2000*. The closest I've come to that was 1400* and I haven't seen any issues yet. I did mess up by not painting the bolts, so the rust from them is starting to eat it's way through the paint around the bolts . But I'm sure when I used the wire wheel on it that I wasn't able to get every bit of rust off of it either.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 AM

very nice jimbo.. glad to hear u like it
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 AM

Yes sir!! Nice to finally meet and hang out with you SMK! I did unhook the wastegate yesterday cuz it's set really low, opening under 20psi. Watching the gauge the other night, it looked to be opening around 17psi. Got into it a bit on my way home from work today. Made 25psi in 4th and 30psi in 5th and wasn't near WOT!!

Quick Reply: Super 40/35 14cm is on!