1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Sunvisor and cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunvisor and cab lights

I have always had a thing for a sick looking truck with a sunvisor and cab lights sadly my truck was sent from the factory with neither anyone have any ideas as to where I can find a sweet looking visor and how hard would it be to wire all the lights into the headliner? thanks for the answers guys!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I assume you mean the five cab clearance lights on the roof. You can buy the lense and gray housings through Mopar but the gasket and plug are discontinued. The best bet on those are to buy a nice used set preferably from a northern truck (southern trucks the lenses seem to back and crack more). Make sure you get the five gaskets and the harness for them. You can use gasket maker on the gaskets for a good seal.

Sadly Lund no longer makes either the visor or moonvisor (lights in it). So your only bet is swap meets or salvage yards. The sad thing is people way over price them on Flebay. $300 For something you will most likely have to paint is ridiculous. Plus they dont have the screw caps. They cover the screw heads so it looks nicer. All in all you are going to have to search for all.

To install the lights its really not that hard. Just measure three times before drilling. I have put three sets on trucks and the hardest part was on the last one was running the harness up the A-pillar. The first two had interior trim so I simply ran it on the inside of the A-pillar trim then I ran the wire through the hole for the sunvisor. Worked great, it was a 70"s model though. When drilling you have to drill three holes. Two small and one large for you to fish the pigtail up through. Not a hard job, give yourself three or four hours to get it done. One more thing. They made two different style visors. One is made for a cab with lights already installed and the other is not. If you buy lights and install them first then come across a Lund visor it might not mount. It might hit the lights. Just give it some thought before you mount them.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Yea I really wish I could find either one of those visors though
Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post up in the "Parts Wanted", someone here has to have a spare one.

The visor for Extended cab is the same one as for RamCharger and Crew Cab, with Standard Cab being the odd man out.

The visors for 1 ton (with cab lights) had the cutouts to clear the lights and would likely be good to locate the lights if you don't have any on there.

Just remember, as I said earlier, the Standard cab visor is the oddball of the bunch, as the roofline "slope" is steeper on a standard cab.

Mark.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one for an ex cab...but need to make sure my dad doesn't want it....ill pm you once I find out.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
Post up in the "Parts Wanted", someone here has to have a spare one.

The visor for Extended cab is the same one as for RamCharger and Crew Cab, with Standard Cab being the odd man out.

Just remember, as I said earlier, the Standard cab visor is the oddball of the bunch, as the roofline "slope" is steeper on a standard cab.

Mark.
Whoah! Good to know... I never even realized, I have both an Extended Cab and Ram Charger with visors (the RC one I got from a forum post, local for like $25, no lights nor the cut outs) The extended cab came with it's visor. They are both Lund and the only difference is the cut outs for the lights, so I had assumed they were all the same.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM

So lund doesn't make it any more?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope.
It's like the "Shelf-It" for our trucks, the cool aftermarket stuff is steadily being phased out.

Mark.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Soon lifts as well I take it
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Found this but don't know anything about it or the website. I did "check out" and it still showed it as it was going to ship......i beleive its for reg cabs only though.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8164
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Is there any way to fit it on a extended cab?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM

probably could but you'd have to be good with fiberglass.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Shucks oh well
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM

i put trailer clearance lights on cab spaced evenly not spaced like semis got visor from summit racing had to cut to fit. ps cut mount holes and run pull wire through to feed wire.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the tip man the other route I was thinking of going was getting the really big clearance lights of a old western star they look pretty badass kinda big but I think it could still look okay haha

Quick Reply: Sunvisor and cab lights