1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Suddenly won't start or even turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suddenly won't start or even turn over

So I was headed to work yesterday and all of a sudden the speedometer gauge went to zero, while the fuel gauge went to exactly half full from 1/4 full. The temp gauge is dead, too.

Pulled up and turned it off, and it won't turn over, at all, period. Grid heater "wait" and other ignition lights don't come on like usual. Turn signals are out.

Radio won't turn on, either.

Headlights and dome light work normally, dimmer works.

Checked the fuses, those are all OK. Checked battery connections and those were getting funky, so I bought a brand new battery and marine terminals. Hooked everything back up and...it won't turn over, at all. No click, no grid heater lights, nothing. Same other electrical problems as before are present.

Also, I have my fuel shut off solenoid and KSB wired up separately from the wiring loom, on separate circuits, with dash switches.

What would cause this problem all of a sudden ?

TIA.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM

Did you check the ground cable where it bolts to the block?

Also check that cable for holes where water could have got in and rotted the conductors or for a place where the wire just cracked.

Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

JP.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jogl
Did you check the ground cable where it bolts to the block?

Also check that cable for holes where water could have got in and rotted the conductors or for a place where the wire just cracked.

Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

JP.
I'll look at that in the light this afternoon, thanks. Is there an ignition switch or fuse of any kind on these, or does turning the key simply complete a circuit to the starter ?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM

There are fuseable links on top of the left inner fender near the hood hinge. Might want to give them a good looking over.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
There are fuseable links on top of the left inner fender near the hood hinge. Might want to give them a good looking over.
+1. Mine was doing something very similar to this last year and it ended up being that a rodent had eaten through one of the links wires.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Fusible links are most likely.

It could also be the bulk-head connector or the key-switch.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Fusible links are most likely.

It could also be the bulk-head connector or the key-switch.
What is the bulk head connector ?

I took some pics of the rats nest of wires under the (disconnected) alarm speaker, will upload in a bit.

Ground wire to battery is fine.

In the meantime, this is sitting at an apartment complex where it could be towed. Is there a way to operate the starter by jumping a circuit, so I can at least get it home ? Get an alligator clip wire, attach one end to the smaller lead on the starter and touch the other to the + terminal on the battery ? Will that work on these ?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 PM

I think that will work to get it cranking but you will also need to jump power to the shut down selonoid or it won't run.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I think that will work to get it cranking but you will also need to jump power to the shut down selonoid or it won't run.
Oh, I have the solenoid on it's own circuit with a switch on the dash. Bypassed that rat's nest MOPAR garbage wiring loom with the solenoid...and the KSB...ages ago.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM

I was able to get mine to fire by touching a heavy gauge wire from the brown wire on the female side of the weatherproof connector by the battery, to the positive terminal of the battery, with the key in the run position. That's how I eliminated the starter and the ignition switch from the problem.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Taped alongside the big HOT cable that goes to the starter is a smaller wire, BROWN I think.

This wire goes into a two-wire plug with maybe a PINK wire.

Un-plug this plug.

That PINK wire is always HOT; the BROWN wire triggers the solenoid on the starter.

Make a U-shaped jumper-wire, preferably out of a short length of solid-core house-wire, such as 12-2 or 14-2.

Ascertain that the transmission is not engaged; set the park-brake.

With power ON to the fuel-solenoid, if it is still so equipped, jump power between the PINK and BROWN wire and the engine should crank and start.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

I just clamped a 10 gauge wire with alligator clips to the smaller post on top of the starter, and touched the other end to the + battery terminal. Started instantly.

I'm tempted to just wire up a switch for the starter on the dash, like a tractor...it's not just the ignition though, the turn signals, gauges, backup lights, and radio are out. Headlights and brakelights work at least, so I was able to get it home...

I wonder, is there a schematic showing where these various things are wired through ? That way I could find what exactly failed.

There are several plastic boxes mounted to the side of the compartment near the hood hinge...a whole rats nest of wires, actually. Disconnected alarm system, all kinds of garbage. Some day I'm gonna haul the motor out of here and stick it in the oldest service vehicle I can find...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 AM

There is a wiring schematic in the sticky.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Sounds like your fuseable link wire on the driverside fender is blown. its made to go out if the voltage spike.s mine did the same thing get a test light and just poke each one till you find it .then just find the burnt section and replace it
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 AM

I spliced in some wire where a section of fusible link was obviously blown, but still no ignition, turn signals, radio or gauges. It's not the Key switch...when I turn that ON I can roll the window, turning it to OFF cuts power to that.

So I guess it's time to look for the test light and go about rooting through the rats nest of wires on this heap. I already bypassed several things in the crummy wiring harness with my own wiring, so I guess this was coming sooner or later. From what I've been reading on here, it happens to everyone sooner or later. God, I hate cheap old Dodge wiring.

Anyone know what each of the fusible links coming off the black rubber thing go to ? So, yeah: Gauges, speedo, radio, turn signals, backup light and ignition are out. Headlights (both bright and normal), brake lights, interior lights/ dimmer, engine bay light and windows are still on.

Quick Reply: Suddenly won't start or even turn over