1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

strange ip/fueling problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange ip/fueling problem?

ok guys its been a long time since I have been on here but I gained allot from all of you and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction with this one. recently my engine has been cutting out randomly. it seems to happen most when the go pedal is held around 3/4 throttle position for an extended period of time or when I just mat the pedal and wind out every gear. the engine will never completely shut down, but its like I just dropped my foot right off the side of the pedal even though its still 3/4 throttle or above. the turbo will bark the engine will slow way down and instead of being back in the seat your head is headed for the windshield faster then you would like it to be. then to fix it I push in the clutch and just pump the fuel pedal till it puffs black, let the clutch back out and it fuels pretty nicely until it feels like acting up again. I know seems simple right? running out of fuel maybe? well that's what I thought so I put on a titanium fass 150 over the weekend and it still has the same problem. so now im leaning towards injection pump problems? I have had a 3200 spring in it for a long time now and it has a industrial top off of another pump on it cause I could not get mine to stop leaking. but that stuff has been done for over a year and no problems till recently. brand new k&n air filter too. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet but I see no reason why that fass shouldn't be putting out at least 8psi at wot. what do you guys think??? THANKS in advance.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM

I would be careful not knowing fuel pressure with a fass I had to get a special spring to put in it to lower the fuel pressure. The front seal in the ve is only good for about 15 psi. Have you checked the wire for the fuel shutdown solenoid? Mine did the same thing and that is what it was. Try squeezing the connector a little where it clips on to the fss with a pair of pliers. This wire is a common point for failure causing this exact problem.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM

I ordered the first gen fass and the owners manual for it states it is set for 8-12 psi because I knew about the front seal issue. I plan on installing a fuel pressure gauge very soon tho... I just filled up with fuel so ill see how she acts tom on the way to work and I will also check the shut down wire. wouldn't the wire prevent it from shutting down tho? cause I thought when the solenoid fails you have to manually shut the pump down to kill the engine?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM

When you supply voltage it opens when it looses voltage it closes. When they fail and won't shut down it is because a chunk has come out of the rubber plunger and it can't seal to shut the engine off.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM

ah ha! well thanks for your help! ill report back tom, hopefully with good news!