1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Strange injection problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried both pumps, old and new, same-o same-o. Been up to my neck getting ready to move so haven't dug into it again for a couple of days. Drove it today and right after shutting it off I tried to start and it started quickly, much better than it's been doing. Hopefully it's something that the self-bleeding in the VE pump can take care of by itself. Thanks!

JimmieD
Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumbled across this thread and here's an update. This is on a Cummins 4BT with Bosch VE rotary pump, diaphragm lift pump. The actual problem is not yet known but truck now runs and drives fine.

I could hear fuel solenoid valve click open and engine cranked, but would not start. The rest of inof is above in thread. To make a VERY long story short:

Removed fuel solenoid valve and found the o-ring jammed on plunger shaft. Major pain to remove VE pump bracket to access solenoid BTW. Fixed by placing o-ring between valve and pump body where it belongs, and plunger tip looked like new. Made no difference at all!

Tried various methods to jumper things and ended up having to run a wire from ignition switch 'Ign1' Run position [not 'Ign2' Start] to fuel solenoid and then install a starter pushbutton in dash. Pushbutton is wired independently. Starts and runs perfectly now. No other combination of wiring changes, ignition switch changes etc. would solve the problem.

So, the actual 'WHY?!' of the problem is unknown, but the fix is in and working. Solenoid worked fine and still does, starter worked fine and still does, but could not make solenoid and starter work simultaneously off normal switch wiring. All voltages specd out fine. Oh well, I've gotten to like the old fashioned pushbutton in the old fashioned truck driven by an old fashioned geezer