1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Strange Fueling Question with Low Power Twist - PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you got an electric pump you could just wire in temporarily?
I'd use a fuel can in the box and jury rig a fuel line with an electric pump. That would tell you if it is the fuel supply side or a failing VE ...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
double post

Last edited by Partsdude; 04-16-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: double post
Old 04-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Well, First I'd make sure that the big plug with the three sided head that covers the end of the pump piston in the distribution head is not loose.

It probably isn't, but I saw a truck once with a constant start/power problem due to that being loose.

I would check the return line for a clog, just for grins.

The only thing after that I can think of is a crudded up advance mechanism that is sticking in a retarded position. You could take the KSB off the pump & open up the fuel inlet, blow out the fuel return passage from the end of the advance piston back to the inlet & see if anything comes out, or if it is plugged up. It could be done in the truck w/o a pump R&R.

Please let us know if you figure it out.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
Well, First I'd make sure that the big plug with the three sided head that covers the end of the pump piston in the distribution head is not loose.

It probably isn't, but I saw a truck once with a constant start/power problem due to that being loose.

I would check the return line for a clog, just for grins.

The only thing after that I can think of is a crudded up advance mechanism that is sticking in a retarded position. You could take the KSB off the pump & open up the fuel inlet, blow out the fuel return passage from the end of the advance piston back to the inlet & see if anything comes out, or if it is plugged up. It could be done in the truck w/o a pump R&R.

Please let us know if you figure it out.
Hey Alec explain a little more detail for me on the advanced mechanism - you have my interest peaked.

As far as the return line clogged I cannot see that being the case, as when I ran the truck off 5 gallons of diesel from the bed, I only went about 10 miles max and it nearly drained all 5 gallons, so I figured it must be returning it to the tank the unused fuel hence the return working.