1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Straight pipe in the san jose/ bay area

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipe in the san jose/ bay area

I wanted to cut off the giant can of a muffler we have on our 2st gens. But im afraid after i do so, i will get pulled over here in my neck of the town. I'm located in san jose. If anyone in my area or the bay has any experiences could ya shoot me a reply. thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it is really that loud, but I have never been to California either.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Subjective for sure... But my opinion is it sucks, it's loud and if you drive any distances it will drone you to death...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haul *** past cops but mostly when I'm towing so they know I need the power. Anyways I have a 3.5 straight pipe with a 4inch tip and I have never even been looked at in the 2 years of driving CTD trucks. The cops in san jo have more inportant things to do
Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 AM

im in livermore and have it straight piped with a 5" stack and havent had a single problem
Old 11-30-2009, 01:19 AM

Thanks guys, the tip of my stock exhaust rusted at the elbow right after the axle and fell off. So its rattling around and hitting the rear shock right there so im just gunna cut the big can off right before it starts by the last bracket.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm in seatte,wa. Anyone have any problems with emissions with their straight pipe or tuning on pump? Or do you guys just bring some wrenches and turn it all back in the parking lot? haha
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 PM

search thread Got ticket 4 no Muffler, (sorry, dont know how 2paste)thats my first run in with the cops. Fixed that problem. Since then I've been pulled over about 5times and havent gotten a ticket all those time's, it's like they just wanna check me out-who am i, were am i going dumb Q's im sure its only because my truck kinda stands out, not to mention one of those times it was because my truck was too loud and I had to convince the cop it wasnt my engine it was my tires! (Boggers @the time) he let me go but warned me i could get a ticket for noise pollution if i remember correct?... I'm thinking about just leaving Ca sometime in the future man... because i aint driving no little sedan or anything
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said, I have never been to California.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM

the officers in my part arent to conserned about the loudness of my truck, its what comes out the side pipe. i already have two smoke tickets and a neg driving for blowing smoke.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I have never gotten a ticket per se but I have gotten the "pollutant mailers" from when people call the 1-800 to report a smoky vehicle. No fee to pay , no response necessary though with those.

Needless to say both of the times I was flagged by motorists I was in San Fran Psycho.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:08 PM

A turbo charger is considered a muffler in the state of Washington unfortunately not in California though. I've been pulled over numerous times for it, once just outside of Wyreka California even - Try using that as an excuse after you chop it off . We aren't any louder then a big rig
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM

I just left cali and my and i had my pipe cut off before the muffler and never put anything on after that and i had the truck there in the barstow area for over a year with no problem
Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I think more than anything basic common sense applies because the cops can get you if they *want* to. Just don't smoke people out at every-single-intersection and keep it easy on the skinny when in close proximity to pedestrians etcetcetc... I was pulled over once in the people's republic of Davis, CA... It was after jazz band night practice and I just came back through downtown after a quick bite and saw a bunch of college punks being rowdy outside of some bar, so I mashed it and filled the whole intersection and sidewalk full of smoke... Well the smoke was clearing and through the cloud I see the red and blues. He let me off but after all the questioning about one of my license plate tail lamps being out (his probable cause) he finally said , look were you 'gettin on it' pretty good back there because I looked in my rear view mirror and all I saw was a huge black cloud of smoke.. I told him that it is an old diesel and probably has some blowby when cold...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just get a 4" muffler and beat a piece of 4" od pipe in it and reinstall it . now you have a strait pipe with proof of a muffler!I know some one who did it

Quick Reply: Straight pipe in the san jose/ bay area