1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stock Pot cold air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow! You've got more done in a weekend than most of us get done in a year!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Well, . . . . . here's a preemptive "HOLY CRAP!" >Said conservatively<

As per the turbo's installation instructions, I'm not to make any full throttle passes till I've run the unit for 50 miles.

I went ahead and got the exhaust pipe out past the rear axle and have it cinched-up tight with the sealclamps. (Shhhhhhhh! . . . . don't tell anybody but for the moment, the entire exhaust system's held in place via fence wire. I had to get it all right before nailing it down so to speak. I'll install the proper mounts tomorrow.

The new 4" TOP got up on the stock OEM noise blanket thing that covers the HVAC stuff. With it removed there's only a little over 1/2" between the TOP and the plastic blower duct. I ended up cutting and folding a little piece of 22 ga sheet metal that acts as a heat shield. I mounted it using the existing three duct bolt holes. I just made the screws long enough to include my shield with some spacers made from 5/16" copper tubing cut 1/4" long.
I then trimmed the OEM noise blanket so it has a window for the heat shield to stand proud in. It's not real pretty, but I think it'll work.

Installed the engine cooling fan and its shroud. Topped-up the radiator.

Made double-dog sure the exhaust system wasn't going anywhere.

I then took it out for those fifty miles. From the house to Lillington. Stopped and checked the engine for any leaks, etc. Good to go. Drove to Dunn. Stopped and checked everything again. Good to go. Drove back to Lillington. Stopped/checked. Drove back to Dunn. That's 52 miles.

Stopped and checked it all again. OK.

Went to leave the Wallmart parking lot, and just before the light, there's a stop sign. Pulled away hard enough to bark the tires just a split second and got off of it. OK fine.

The fella in the new Chevy full-sized pickup up in front of me at the light took notice I reckon. As I approached him from behind, the light turned green allowing him to go. He made off, and without squealing tires or anything, smoothly went to full throttle I guess. I admit I was itch'in. By the time I got out on the highway straight-n-purdy, I might have been doing 30ish and went straight to full throttle. While the other fella was a good two or so car lengths ahead of me, he was not able to pull away, nor I gain on him up to 65. Kewl!

So I back off and let it cool off and headed back toward the house. On the way (conveniently ) , there's this somewhat isolated stretch of road. I came to a stop and being mindful of my transmission not knowing what this thing might do, smoothly brought it to full throttle.

DAY-AM!!

That boy got on up to 55 REAL quick! I'm not sure if there's a power-band that's got a lot of new emphasis or I broke traction somewhere as the speedometer presented with a marked jump from 20ish to 35ish. Otherwise from a rolling stop to 55 is most impressive!

With that I babied her back the last 5 miles to the house. I don't have the any of the gages connect so I'm running blind. If I have to, I'll duct tape them to the dash till I can install them proper.

So at this point, I've got to nail down the exhaust mounts. Install the 3K spring (and might do the fuel lever arm grinding thing, but only half the amount I'm thinking). Retune the VE pump as it's still where it was all along. All the adjustments on it to date were done six or seven years ago when I was a lot dumber than a rock about such.

Still got to install the transgo kit and tranny pan.

Oh! BTW, the exhaust pretty much presents with a stock sound as far as I can tell. No low drones of any sort. But it's still too early to know. For now, I've left the turbos silencer ring in place as an air flow thought, and it appears to work well though I can still hear the thing spool-up in the back ground. (KEWL!) When floored, it ain't nothing but the six cylinders Gitt'in It!

"Perma-Grin" huh? This is gonna be fun if I don't 'splode it.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I been watchin you BC.....you're doing REAL good bud....these ole girls surprise alot of folks, even some of their owners on occasion....

pb...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:50 AM

Hey BC, just a quick question, Do you work (besides your truck).

You sure are doin it right, My hats off to you, I just dont have the time or money... But some day
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Den

Good deal! Keep us up to date with the additions and results

Den
Old 03-15-2005, 05:00 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally posted by Bushy
I been watchin you BC.....you're doing REAL good bud....these ole girls surprise alot of folks, even some of their owners on occasion....

pb...
Originally posted by 92DIESEL
Hey BC, just a quick question, Do you work (besides your truck).

You sure are doin it right, My hats off to you, I just dont have the time or money... But some day
Thanks folks . . . . . no I mean Thank You folks for all the information that's been a BIG guide in making choices.

@ 92DIESEL, yes I work doing commercial HVAC&R service and repair (15+ years).

I gotta get on with hanging the exhaust plumbing. And if I don't stumble on anything, I can change the tranny fluid and install the bigger pan while I'm under there. (I'm gonna hold off on the TransGo kit as there's the question of what about a torque converter. The kit wants me to drill a hole in the valve body plate if I stay with a stock converter. Leave it alone if I go 89%.

. . . .. . . .Lemme git to it!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Way to go BC! It`s amazing the power these things put out huh? I know it took me for a BIG surprise, glad to hear your having some fun...awesome!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Fun, isn't it? The turns on the roads seem a lot closer together since last weekend...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
1st Generation Admin

Well tonight I finished the exhaust system.

Went to change the transmission pan/filter and fluid, got in there and said "Shoot! Might as well, already in here!". With that I went ahead and did the TransGo kit to.

I can't get over how many times I've read those instructions start to finish. I bet I assembled, took apart and reassembled each stage a good three times! They've got a big honk'in picture on two different pages showing where the check-***** go.
I wasn't long before putting the valve body back in there only to look over and see: not one, not two, but every one of the check-***** sitting there in a neat little row. DUH!! Stupid mess like that.

Finally got it all back together with no left-over parts.

I may have put in too high a value TV spring. Casual driving has the engine rev-up pretty good to get it to shift to the next gear. I find that letting off the throttle and briefly shifting to neutral and back to Drive make it go on and shift. It may be a booger's gotten into the valve-body works. Perhaps it'll straighten up with some driving.

I think it's about ready to dial it all in with some tweak'in.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 PM
1st Generation Admin

Well it's rained/sleeted/snowed the last three days. Mostly rain. With that, I've not been able to do anything with the truck.

Anyhoot, it finally dried-up enough this afternoon to let me pull the transmission valve-body back out, disassemble and clean the poopoo out of it (figuratively speaking). I also put in the recommended 12V TV spring.

Reassembled with another 12qts of ATF-3, and it appears to be working correctly. The shifts are quicker without necessarily banging.

The sensor wires and boost hose is in the dash and I'm planning on at least hooking the gages up so I can see where I'm at tomorrow (Sat).

I guess that leaves the 3.2k spring to install.

EDIT decimal point added.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
32000 wow that motor will fly
I guess that leaves the 32k spring to install.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:03 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally posted by rebal
32000 wow that motor will fly

. . . . .

. . . . . It's all in the gearing between the prop-shaft and the turbine.

I've finally got the pyro and boost gages running.

Having done no more than that above, a trip to the landfill presented with 55mph @ 700/800*F / 0 to 10psig boost. Normal driving presents with peaks of no more than 900*F.
A full throttle blast from 0 to 70(ish) took the pyro up to around 1350*F with 22(ish) psig boost.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Sounds to me like you have a boost leak. Either that or the wastegate is opening way too early. Call PDR and find out what the WG is set for.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Sounds to me like you have a boost leak. Either that or the wastegate is opening way too early. Call PDR and find out what the WG is set for.
I was wondering about adjusting the wastegate. The turbos installation instruction's last step was to adjust the wastegate so as to ensure a max boost of 35psig. I assumed it is set at 36psig and if I saw my mess push it past that, I'd have to adjust it. I dunno. The instructions are vague regarding that. Lemme go read them again.

EDIT: I'm confident I don't have a boost leak.

I've seen a number of posts where folks talk like the WG 14cm housing is 25psig by default. Sounds like I may need to do the bleed-tee trick.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, your wastegate actuator is punched just like mine. Under the blue dot is the spot they punch to lock the adjustment to prevent "tampering". Now who would tamper with a thing like that?

Quick Reply: Stock Pot cold air box