1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stock Pot cold air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Den

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toys !

Looks like you have your work cut out for you

I see some gauges..but what is that grey looking box to the left of them? Another gauge in a different box?

Den
Old 03-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like a nice setup! Have fun on the install.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisLib
Do you have any detailed measurements or did you "eyeball" the ductwork?
Well I initially thought I could put the pot in place and get something to make templates. With everything: Radiator, puke can, after-cooler, AC condenser, etc out of the way, there was no real room to see anything. I even considered removing the fender, but got to looking and thought I ought not. I ultimately just set the pot on the floor, up against a box. Running back and forth from the truck with a tape measure, I cyphered like the box was the bulkhead and positioned the pot like it would relate to it in the truck. From there I was able to make some rough templates. The two sides with the pots curve were the more involved. The old rule; "Measure 37 times, and then check it again, cut once (but check again before you cut)" kept worrying me.

Notice though that while the inlet of the duct is about 7"w x 16"t rectangular (I'm guessing), where the top of the duct connects to the pot, it's the same 7" wide.

At the bottom, the duct has actually flared out to about 10 or so inches as you can see in this image (look at how the side of the pot is cut, sloping toward the bottom).

My goal was to try to keep from having the incoming air hit just one spot. It's a twisted funnel kinda that flairs out to the pot.

Originally posted by Den
I see some gauges..but what is that grey looking box to the left of them? Another gauge in a different box?

Den
Exactly Pyro, boost, and trans temp.

Just got some stones and burrs. Fixing to do some minor porting/clean-up of the manifold.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Den

A super cheap and valuble tool is this

It came in REAL handy making the dash pod

Den
Old 03-10-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanx for the measurement info BC, oh and BTW...looks like your PERMA-GRIN is going to be starting real soon, take it from me (a recent inductee into the perma-grin club) it`s all good till your face starts aching (see sig),LOL Best of luck with the new "stuff"....boy I LOVE "stuff"
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Sweet !!!!! Nice job BC847 !! Good ole American inginuity. Now how ya gunna explain to the wife when she finds her pots gone ?
BTW whos exhaust is that with the bands?

Dusty
Old 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally posted by DustyRock
Sweet !!!!! Nice job BC847 !! Good ole American inginuity. Now how ya gunna explain to the wife when she finds her pots gone ?
BTW whos exhaust is that with the bands?

Dusty
That 4" turbo back system I got from theses guys as they were the only ones I could find that made something that would fit my truck ('93 ClubCab/4x4). That kit comes with the standard U-bolt and clevis type clamps. I'm thinking it would be better for me to use the SealClamps as they wouldn't crush the joints (I can easily take it apart ).

The pot? . .. . . . . .. Actually . . . . . .

The wife has an aluminum pot that was perfect in height. The only problem I saw was it was a bit too small in diameter for my liking. Let's face it, the Federal Soup Makers Association wasn't thinking of Big Honkin Air Filters when they went to specking pots. I looked everywhere.
Shoot! I gave up thinking hers was better than what I had. So I went to buy her a new replacement.

So the last place I went (naturally) had this pot (comes with a steaming basket WOHOO!). I got it home and went to looking at it real hard and realized that with a few of my HVAC tools, I could shorten it, and still have it looking a little better than shoddy.

My wife's been really cool about it all. Frankly, she's gonna be like that girl in the song Chrome by Trace Adkins
CHORUS
For-get pink and pur-ple paislies
Little mel-low yel-low daisies
ain't no pot of gold in her rainbow
Her favorite color is chrome

yeah, chrome baby (said only once after first chorus)

Chrome
got her leg up high
on the bumper
of my big black Mack truck
with a smoke stack
pointed towards the sky
and mud flaps, you know the kind

Chrome
I said hey little girl,
you sure look nice
Do you wanna ride
I won't bite,
she climbs inside and says
Hell nah, I wanna drive!

(CHORUS)

It's chrome alright
shiny, nice, polished
Chrome
chrome

(CHORUS)

that girl is all about chrome,
she sure loves chrome...
...aww, chrome

Thanks folks,

David (BC)
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 PM

Trace is one cool dude. I love that video Rough and Ready. Havent seen the chrome video but if its like R&R it otta be good. Take Care.

Dusty
Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 PM

When I put in my ehxaust i used band clamps, but I found they did`nt "grip" the pipe enough and I felt the pipe joints were a little too loose for my liking. So I put the whole thing in, aligned it/put in the hangers etc, then before i clamped it up I put a tack weld at each joint, makes it super rigid and if I ever have to take it out it`s only a couple of small tacks that need to be ground off.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

New acronym..... BHEF. Big Honkin' Emeril Filter....BAM!!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 PM

LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

Sooooooooo, when will this thing hit the local market.

I believe you could make many $$$ out of your handy work.

I know I'M interester....................
Old 03-13-2005, 09:12 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally posted by 59FORD
Sooooooooo, when will this thing hit the local market.

I believe you could make many $$$ out of your handy work.

I know I'M interester....................
Lemme get the rest of the truck assembled and work out any final kinks. Right off the OEM flexible duct that connects the turbo to the CAB is a bit too short by maybe a good inch. Stretching the bellows a bit fixes it but I don't like that. I'm gonna need to look at that again.

Friday night was spent port matching/cleaning up the ATS manifold. I could see where they went through it and knocked off any flashing, but the exhaust inlets were a mess. The factory did open them up to a standard gasket, but left a huge irregular lip in each. There's NO WAY these were reversion dams. They jutted in from 1/8" to 1/4" .
The divider wall of the manifold's turbo flange was too thick compared to the exhaust housing's inlet.
I was able to straighten up the inlets nicely though it took a good while. The turbo flanges were rather easy to match. In fact, on the outside, long sides of each, I didn't have to cut anything other than make sure they were straight up and down. Opening them up would have just flared the outlet flange only to have the turbo flange have to trumpet to meet it. Leaving them alone resulted in those walls being straight to one another.

Saturday was spent assembling/installing the manifold. While I had it sitting there in front of me, I went ahead and mounted the Pyro sensor. Dag-Nab-It! Every on-line instruction page for installing the pyro that I've seen shows the sensor's mount using a 1/8" NPT. My sensor mounts with a 1/4" NPT do-hickey! Hold-on, gotta run get a tap.
The stupid brand new bolts wanted to cross-thread due to the manifold's mounting flanges not being dead-on. Even after mating to the original manifold.
Finally got that in and mounted the turbo. That was relatively easy.

Removed and opened-up the charge air intake pipe (the one that mounts to the air heaters). Made it's flange flair out to the full opening of the heaters. That ought to help there a lot. Installed the after-cooler with the funky blue silicone boots and spring clamps. Installed the radiator, and AC condenser coil. Put the front of the truck back together.

I figure if I ever wondered what it's like to be a dentist, I know now after pulling the OEM injectors. Them boy's were in there. I didn't have a slide hammer with the correct tool. After about ten minutes of screwing around with the first, I was able to do it easily with some vise-grips holding the top, and a crow-bar lifting up on the vise-grips while leaning on a near=by head bolt. A couple of good tugs slipped them right out.

Today (Sunday) found me installing the boost gage tap and running its hose with the pyro's line through all the stock harness (that was fun). I'll install the gages another day this coming week. Got everything else back together under the hood less the cooling fan and its shroud (including priming the new turbo with oil).
Spent the rest of the day getting the exhaust plumbing in. The short story is the BHM could do with its outlet mounted directly opposite where it's at. I figure a short radius 45* will fix that. The SealClamps work nice.

Stood back, got up all the tools, got a Goody's head-ache powder and a Mountain-Dew.

And fired-that boy up!

After maybe 30 seconds of cranking it took to running at a very soft idle though a bit rough. After cracking the injector's feed lines, I found only one that needed burping. After that it runs very smooth.

No Leaks!

I let it sit there and idle for maybe ten minutes as lightening is flashing big-time!

Was able to put up all the tools before the bottom fell out.

What a weekend! My wife says I stink!

I've still a few loose ends to button-up. Install the cooling fan and its shroud. Mount the gages. Get the exhaust pipe over the rear axle. . . . . . . . and then there's those boxes over there for the transmission.

Good night folks.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Den

Good deal. Sounds like you got a lot done!

Den

Quick Reply: Stock Pot cold air box