1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stock lift pump primer lever

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock lift pump primer lever

When I put in my 3200 spring, we had troubles starting it. It would take a few cranks to get it going. Sounded like it was losing fuel. Anyway, I cracked the fuel line and pumped the lever on the pump and I could only feel pressure towards the end of the travel on the lever. I tightened the fuel line back up and it fires up first crank again every time now, so I guess there was air in the line somewhere. Is that lever feel a sign of a bad lift pump? Or is it just a faulty or junky lever on the pump itself? I'm wanting to go camping this weekend, but I'd rather not drive 100+ miles each direction with a bad lift pump. I'm getting a piston pump in about a week, so I just wanna make sure this one will last. Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
When I put in my 3200 spring, we had troubles starting it. It would take a few cranks to get it going. Sounded like it was losing fuel. Anyway, I cracked the fuel line and pumped the lever on the pump and I could only feel pressure towards the end of the travel on the lever. I tightened the fuel line back up and it fires up first crank again every time now, so I guess there was air in the line somewhere. Is that lever feel a sign of a bad lift pump? Or is it just a faulty or junky lever on the pump itself? I'm wanting to go camping this weekend, but I'd rather not drive 100+ miles each direction with a bad lift pump. I'm getting a piston pump in about a week, so I just wanna make sure this one will last. Thanks guys.
the pump runs off of cam lobe and the the lobe was holding the diafram up so the lever couln't pump it.

if you would have bumped the eng over a fue time the lever would have worked normal
Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM

I've pumped it probably 5 different times, and each time it was like that. No pressure til the end of the stroke of the lever. I know there is the chance that every time I tried it stopped on a cam lobe, but it's gotta be somewhat slim.

If I had a pressure tester thing I'd just use that.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:25 PM

I've pumped it probably 5 different times, and each time it was like that. No pressure til the end of the stroke of the lever. I know there is the chance that every time I tried it stopped on a cam lobe, but it's gotta be somewhat slim.

If I had a pressure tester thing I'd just use that.

beleave it or not your eng will stop in the same spot 80%of the time!
Mine will stop every time, were there is no pump lever action at all
Bump the start a couple of times and get the full fever action!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 PM

I've used mine several times and thats the way it always is... no action till most of the way through the action
Old 09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried to prime mine before, you have to crank the engine a tad to get the lever working right if the engine stops wrong. Probably tends to get the air farther up in the lines, but I don't know how else to do it. There's probably a trick...

And how many times are you supposed to push the lever to prime the engine? It worked perfectly when I installed my second tank, but I was pretty zealous in my pumping...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 PM

I just wanna know if I have a junky lever or if it's a sign of my pump going out. Still starts first crank everytime, even in the morning, so I don't think it's losing prime overnight.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:13 PM

I just wanna know if I have a junky lever or if it's a sign of my pump going out. Still starts first crank everytime, even in the morning, so I don't think it's losing prime overnight.
just have some one hold the "manual shut off lever"(so it wont start, when you bump the starter) while you bump the starter and try to pump the lever........after you have bump the motor over many time, and tryed to pump the lift pump lever, you will now if the lift pump lever is working properly
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM

Well it sounds like most people have the same deal with it not having a good action, so I guess I'll just run it .
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For another note, does my new piston pump have that problem?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM

I had the same problem with the lift pump and am interested in the piston pump. How much does it cost and where can it be purchased ?

Charliex25
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by charliex25
I had the same problem with the lift pump and am interested in the piston pump. How much does it cost and where can it be purchased ?

Charliex25
Here ya go
You can get it from cummin or i have heard of guys getting them from a guy on E-bay

Piston pump install:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=93722
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM

The ebay guy is sold out. You'll probably have to go to cummins.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by flashgordon
beleave it or not your eng will stop in the same spot 80%of the time!

Thank you for that statement.

As a matter of fact, any engine, gas or diesel, if allowed to stop of it's own accord, will stop in exactly the same position, every time.

I made that statement, over on the drama stop truck site, and got flamed so bad that my tail is still smoking.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

Thank you for that statement.

As a matter of fact, any engine, gas or diesel, if allowed to stop of it's own accord, will stop in exactly the same position, every time.

I made that statement, over on the drama stop truck site, and got flamed so bad that my tail is still smoking.

YA IT HARD TO BELEVE BUT ITS TRUE!
PROVE IT YOU SELF AND PUT A MARK ON YOU CRANK DAMPNER IN 3 SPOTS AND NAME THEM......THEM EVERY TIME YOU SHUT IT DOWN RAISE YOUR HOOD AND YOU WILL PROVE IT ONE WAY OR A NETHER!!!