1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

STIFF transfer case shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STIFF transfer case shifter

I'm a newbie here, but have had the pleasure of meeting Dave, and dealing with Bill.
I tried several different searches, and found nothing on this...
It's winter around here,time to use 4 wheel drive from time to time. The problem is, that I'm barely man enough to get it into and out of 4 wheel drive.
My local mechanic sugggested good ol' WD-40 on the linkages. Two cans later, and my arm still hurts! The shifter mechanism appears to be clean, not all crusty or coated with undercoating, or anything like that.
Should this thing be so stiff? It would be quite handy to be able to shift eaisly in and out of 4WD.
I sure have learned a lot just by hanging arount this place - hope someone has some words of wisdom here.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it shouldn't, it should shift smooth. There are plastic busings where the handle pivots, it could be thoses. Next time you tackle the problem, pop the linkage loose from the handle and see if the handle is whats binding up. If it is I'd take the whole bracket off and take it apart, clean it up, grease it and put it back together.

If the handle is easy to move, then the its most likely something in the T-case gummed up.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine goes into 4 nice and easy but it is a PITA to get out while moving, is it supposed to come out of 4wheel while moving? I don't have a manual so I don't know and I don't like forcing it cause I don't wanna tear something up. If I play with the throttle I can usually get it to unbind and come out, which I have had to do with other vehicles but none this bad.

Chris
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 AM

The t-cases in these trucks are good ol heavy gear drive, no week *** chains in these, so they are a little harder to get in and out of gear. You can take them out while moving you just need to adjust your throttle I can do it usually if i'm deaccelerating. You can also engage it while moving, as long as the hubs are locked in. I suppose you could try filling it with some synthetic hypoid gear oil and that may help things. Other wise engage and disengage while moving, or even backing up to un-bind things. I have found that it is very hard while stopped. Its also pretty easy to take it out if you unlock the hubs first.

Hope this helps, Aaron
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by apwatson50
The t-cases in these trucks are good ol heavy gear drive, no week *** chains in these, so they are a little harder to get in and out of gear. You can take them out while moving you just need to adjust your throttle I can do it usually if i'm deaccelerating. You can also engage it while moving, as long as the hubs are locked in. I suppose you could try filling it with some synthetic hypoid gear oil and that may help things. Other wise engage and disengage while moving, or even backing up to un-bind things. I have found that it is very hard while stopped. Its also pretty easy to take it out if you unlock the hubs first.

Hope this helps, Aaron
I have an auto. usally backing up about 10 to 15 feet un-binds the gears in the t-case and it pops out easy. Anyone tell me how to quiet down the shifter rattle in the t-case?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon1
I have an auto. usally backing up about 10 to 15 feet un-binds the gears in the t-case and it pops out easy. Anyone tell me how to quiet down the shifter rattle in the t-case?

Put a glove over the handle. Seriously i've tried everything, hose on the shifter extra rubber/washer on the pivot. The only thing thats worked for me is a glove on the shifter.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM

lol sounds funny but I'll try it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 PM

Glove does work about the best. Others have placed rubber washers around the linkages. I just couldn't get my hands in there to place them on and then tighten everything. Gloves work the best.

You can adjust the T-Shifter also. Place T-shifter into 'N', loosen all 3 bolts, Slide shifter forward as far as it will go (won't be much), tighten all 3 bolts. Then test shifting in and out of 'N'.

I agree, some are hard as heck and it did help mine by barely moving when trying to shift it into 4wd.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I use one of my retired welding gloves, and that works really well.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Ok, fine.....I use a shop towel and PDR hat to do the job...works good..

bob....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 AM

mine was a bear the first time i used it. after that it seemed to loosen up. perhaps they just need to be worked a little.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 AM

The 205 transfer case torque binds itself in 4 wheel ranges, it always has whether in a dodge, chevy, ford, or IH! Anyway, the previously mentioned back it up a few feet works really well (relieves torque lock) or place the auto trans in neutral (I believe this is the recommended shift proceedure). Then being back in 2 wheel unlocking the hubs is easy.

If my memory is correct it was recommended that the case be locked in occasionally throughout the year to throw oil around the internals as the 205 has no oil pump. If yours hasn't been locked in much then it might fight you a little the first few times.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:41 AM

Where do you put the glove? Do you take off the rubber boot and cut out a finger and slide the glove over the shifter or what?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by vavtx
Where do you put the glove? Do you take off the rubber boot and cut out a finger and slide the glove over the shifter or what?
NO just put a glove over the end of the shifter so it covers up the shift pattern. No mods required. I'm not even using a heavy leather glove and it works!

I wonder if we could get a different **** that was weighted, made out of steel instead of plastic to give it a little weight. Might do the same thing as putting a glove over the shifter.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Always need work gloves in the truck anyways, so one gets parked on the shifter. In low You need to back a bit, then switch out in neutral. In hi, you can shift out while decellerating, or in while coasting.

Quick Reply: STIFF transfer case shifter