1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stiff brakes all of a sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff brakes all of a sudden?

I noticed the past few days (since it got colder) that my brake peddle is stiffer/higher than it used to be. I havent touched the brakes since Sept. and the fluid level is the same. I was just wondering what this could be caused by?
On another note I noticed my temp gauge went to the first line in the middle and then dropped back down to the first line and stayed there (which is a little lower than normal). Fluid level is good should I be concerned?

Thanks, Michael
Old 12-21-2004, 10:25 AM

do the brakes get back to normal after she warms up? could be a vacume issue in teh morning.....

the temp thing sounds right. termo opens finally then it runs cooler cuz the cold fluid from rad is let in the motor.

jiMMy
Old 12-21-2004, 11:04 AM

brakes have stayed stiff/higher pedal even after 1 hour of driving on hyway. I dont know what happened but I like it (stop better also)
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Same here 92Diesel. Since it has hit the MINUS mark on the temp gauge, my brakes seem to be a lot harder then just last week. They do seem to work a little better but I have also had them lock up on my once, so be careful. It is mostly because the fluid is thicker now due to coldness. (harder to push it through the lines).

My water temp gauge has been acting up a little but I also know I had a weak thermostat. I just replaced last night (-7 degrees out) and it seems to be working better today. Still low on the scale but it is due to the cold air coming from the front. At least it doesn't swing all around anymore and do the dance.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the swinging thermostat - that way I'm sure the gauge works. My thermostat never opened yesterday or this morning - the heater core was enough to keep the engine cool. That new water pump really keeps the coolant moving!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck does the same thing now that the cold is here. On cold mornings, say below 40 or so the brakes are stiff and the ABS light stays lit for about 5-20 seconds depending on how cold it is. I figure the old vacume pump just doesn`t like to build vac when it`s frigid, I just hope it doesn`t get any worse I hear those pumps are $$$$$$
Old 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM

My brakes acted like thatstarting with late last winter...only got stiff if the temp was in the single digits...I was losing vacuum.
This year it got worse. I have the old twin diaphram vacuum pump setup...one started leaking oil really bad, so I replaced it a couple weeks ago.
Still stiff brakes in very cold temps.
Did some troubleshooting with my son's handi vac tool. Found that the check valve going into the booster had a hairline crack on the small nipple that feeds the vacuum switch. Makes sense that cold would affect plastic or rubber.
I temporarily used electrical tape to try to seal it until the new part came in.
It did ok for a day, then stiff brakes again.
Just got the new part tonight and will put it in tomorrow at work during lunchtime.
Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Jay
Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info. At least I'm not the only one. Now I can almost sleep at night... If only I can find a fan hub bearing.

Thanks again everybody,
Michael