1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Alignment

So just got the truck (92 ClubCab 4X4) back from the frontend shop. Steering wheel does not sit straight anymore (sat correctly before the front end work). The guy that did the alignment says there is no adjustment, that it is normally between the box and steering shaft. There has to be a way to adjust the way the steering wheel sits, any suggestions?
Bill
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
So just got the truck (92 ClubCab 4X4) back from the frontend shop. Steering wheel does not sit straight anymore (sat correctly before the front end work). The guy that did the alignment says there is no adjustment, that it is normally between the box and steering shaft. There has to be a way to adjust the way the steering wheel sits, any suggestions?
Bill
What exactly did they replace/rebuild on the front end? I think the shop just did not have the wheel in the correct position when they put it back together with the new parts installed.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
With a LE truck, it probably has the 3 spoke sport wheel- that wheel has a master spline, at least on the 92 column I last took apart. If there is no master spline, you are golden and can just pull the wheel while being aware of the position of the clockspring tabs (especially re-installing).

If it does have a master spline, the only way to move the wheel to straight up is a triangle file to add a groove in the master spline.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Bill
Bill, All you need to do is go to a nice flat parking lot, get her tracking straight, pull the wheel put it back on straight, pretty easy...Mark
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

I looked in the manual I bought from Jeno's and it shows a master spline where the steering wheel slides onto the column. Now, the manual I bought is for a 1993, but I wouldn't think there would be a difference. I guess I can pull the wheel to find out. I just thought there might be a way to adjust that out. The wheel sat perfect before the new front end.
Bill
Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator

I looked in the manual I bought from Jeno's and it shows a master spline where the steering wheel slides onto the column. Now, the manual I bought is for a 1993, but I wouldn't think there would be a difference. I guess I can pull the wheel to find out. I just thought there might be a way to adjust that out. The wheel sat perfect before the new front end.
Bill
Sorry, my experience is with my 90...Mark
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
These trucks used a Accustar steering column from 91 up thru 98 at least in some variation. The 91 thru 93s are tough because there is like 8 variations just for those years depending on tranny, cruise, tilt or trim.

I'm trying to wrap my lead- addled brain around how the wheel got out of proper clocking with the alignment. I thought that toe in was the only thing easy to change on these trucks w/o eccentric bushings. There are master splines on the steering output arm also. Only thing I can think of is if they removed the steering shaft from the housing on the box end or if you have a Borgeson and it didn't get lined up right on the splines or if the column was fooled with by someone previously, which would be a really bad idea b/c there are NO parts for these things. Its "service as an assembly" which stinks-$$$$
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM

My 93 does not have a master spline on the wheel.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

The front end was completely rebuilt, including tie rod ends and drag link. Steering componets (box, shaft, column) are all stock. I wonder about the alignment, if the alignment is correct shouldn't the wheel be striaght? I dunno. It drives me nuts, going down the road with the spokes at 1 and 7 oclock rather that at 3 and 9 oclock, especially when it was correct before.
Bill
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator

The front end was completely rebuilt, including tie rod ends and drag link. Steering componets (box, shaft, column) are all stock. I wonder about the alignment, if the alignment is correct shouldn't the wheel be striaght? I dunno. It drives me nuts, going down the road with the spokes at 1 and 7 oclock rather that at 3 and 9 oclock, especially when it was correct before.
Bill
Bill, if it is that far out, they probably did not put the shaft on the steering box right. If I recall correctly, the input shaft has 4 master splines and can be put on 4 different ways. If yours is nearly 90 degrees out that my explain it. Otherwise, I don't think the steering shaft has master splines, if it is stock...Mark On more thought, I don't think the steering box input shaft has any master splines...
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

OK, I'm not sure I completely understand (not the first time). The steering shaft (from the box into the column) was never removed, nor was the pitman arm. They were not worn, didn't need replaced. To me, what changed from before that would have an effect on the steering wheel would be the tie rod ends or maybe the drag link.
Bill
Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I've been told by a suspension and alignment shop that I've used for years that to straighten the wheel the adjustment is in the drag link adjusting sleeve. You can adjust the tie rods accordingly for toe correction.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

OK, I'm not sure I completely understand (not the first time). The steering shaft (from the box into the column) was never removed, nor was the pitman arm. They were not worn, didn't need replaced. To me, what changed from before that would have an effect on the steering wheel would be the tie rod ends or maybe the drag link.
Bill
Sorry I thought all of that was removed ...None of that should have moved the wheel that far. Does it track ok?...Mark I rebuilt my entire front end, set the toe in in my back yard and I am still driving on that adjustment. The wheel ended up where it began, nice and level...
Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Pitman arm on the gearbox does have 4 different keys, but can only go on one way and have the steering work. So that's not it.

If you didn't have the gearbox changed, I don't see how your steering wheel could be off now.

You did say the draglink was changed. Draglink goes from steering box pitman arm down the the arm on the axle. If the wrong draglink was put on, that would do it. IE, too long or too short. But I'm pretty sure all the 93 down dodges use the same draglink.

If it really bothers you and you can't figure it out, the only way to fix it now is an expensive adjustable draglink sold by superlift or skyjacker
Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM

I bet the tie rod isn't centered and the drew one tire to the other to get them straight rather than working them both.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Alignment