1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering problem

i posted a thread recently it was wheel problem but now im not sure i still think it is sreering cylinder but lets see what you guys think i went to a mud run recently AND won but people at mud run said that my front wheel were all over the place so im doing some checking im noticing tires in front are whering very odly also noticing some loose in the stering wheel if that dam spare truck can get here ill try the other stering cylinder i hope thats the only thing
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DODGE 92
i posted a thread recently it was wheel problem but now im not sure i still think it is sreering cylinder but lets see what you guys think i went to a mud run recently AND won but people at mud run said that my front wheel were all over the place so im doing some checking im noticing tires in front are whering very odly also noticing some loose in the stering wheel if that dam spare truck can get here ill try the other stering cylinder i hope thats the only thing
or maybe i should by one of those double steering cylinder kit
Old 09-16-2006, 08:10 PM

steering

cmon guys i no someone else has had some steering prob
Old 09-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by DODGE 92
cmon guys i no someone else has had some steering prob
I have only had experience with 2wd's but I seem to recall that a big damper is needed to keep the wag down for off road 4x4ing. There is, of course the problem with ALL Dodge trucks and their loose steering coupler. The worst I ever saw was my Pop's gasser which could make a six inch move in the steering wheel before the wheels noticed. I put a good coupler in, saturated it with grease and then wrapped it in plastic with wire ties and I think it will be okay. The coupler was so bad that he did not notice the worn drag link which I changed next. It is really tight now. Again, not a 4x4 but what the heck. A long time ago I discovered that Unsprung weight does nasty things to handling. Larger wheels and tires can induce more nasty characteristics and require a lot of attention to detail to reduce them.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:12 PM

look for a broken gear box adapter or a cracked frame next or between the gear box and the radiator support!

The trunnion bearings could h go bad but vary rarely.

a stirring stabilizer/shock wouldn't be a bad idea to control it!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 PM

sterring

i finally got my other truck here i think im gona change steering stabilizer im pretty sure thats the prob cause its starting to wobble when i drive had that prob once on my jeep thats the cost of mud runs and big tires ill try that and keep you guys posted thanks for the input
Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Steering stabilizer is just a bandaid for loose/worn components in the system. To get rid of it right you have to check it over.

Check the tierod ends, kinpins, steering gear, steering gear mount, and the coupler between the steering gear and column.

Also some movement in a situation like that is normal due to bumpsteer. This is cause as the axle bounces up and down the distance between the axle and the steering gear changes. If you are lifted and still using the push/pull type steering linkage it will really be noticable.