1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Gear brand ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Steering Gear brand ?

I'm in the works for purchasing a replacement steering gear.....

Do you guys have recommendation on manufacturer ?

Not a big A1-Cardone fan, due to past experiences with other rebuilds.

Anyone know a "new" supplier ?

My steering gear is moving up and down (the splined shaft attached to the pitman) inside the gear, when it's turned....

that can't be good.....

Mucho's thank-o-s in Advance -o's
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've never bought one, but have heard lots of good reports on here about Redhead. I think if it was me, like you, I'd get more of a high-end replacement like Redhead or Borgeson, instead of a cheap jobber reman. That's just me.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I've never bought one, but have heard lots of good reports on here about Redhead. I think if it was me, like you, I'd get more of a high-end replacement like Redhead or Borgeson, instead of a cheap jobber reman. That's just me.

Been reviewing the site (this one) and most, if not all threads point towards redhead as the place to go.

Supposedly, calling a guy named "Harvey" (not some big invisible rabbit) and discussing what you want to do, and how they do it, is the way to go. He can change the ratio from stock up to something around 14 to 1, which can alter how the truck performs while parking and maneuvering around obstacles . At least that's what some of the newer dodge guys were saying.

I looked @ the Borgeson units and they look brand new
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produc...cat=108&page=1

I guess I'll throw it around for a while to see what else comes up. For the time being, I'm going to adjust the unit as done in the sticky, and see what happens.

Thanks !

T.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:13 PM

For those interested...

Really cool thread...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869

With PIX !
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm in the market for a new/rebuilt box as well. Mine needs a good tightening up... I might consider switching to the reverse rotation style with cast iron mount found in the early 72-78 4x4s as well. (no more broken plate)
Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I'm in the market for a new/rebuilt box as well. Mine needs a good tightening up... I might consider switching to the reverse rotation style with cast iron mount found in the early 72-78 4x4s as well. (no more broken plate)
Please explain.......in more detail.

There's another way of eliminating the plate ? Besides the crossover steering prospect of the other thread here ??????

T.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, i have seen it on this site somewhere but cannot find it now.

I think it was posted by PapeCat.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Here's the deal -

In 1972 when they released the 1st "1st Gens" the 2x4s had a "normal" rotation saginaw box mounted to the frame - and the 4x4 trucks had a "reverse" rotation saginaw box mounted 90 degrees counter clockwise. For reasons none other than streamlining manufacturing and COST - they devised a way to use the 2x4 box on the 4x4 trucks - via that funky WEAK plate. As you all know, the plate cracks and also loosens the rivets on the front of the frame and/or causes the fRAME to crack if you run anything larger than stock tires even?!!

Stock Early 4x4 Setup with Cast Iron Mount that stresses the frame in it's strongest direction:

revstockparm.jpg?t=1323017638

Stock later 4x4 setup with 4" drop pitman with "Plate"

4insjparm.jpg?t=1323017638

Comparison shot of the plate and cast iron mount:

IMG00137-20110506-0859.jpg?t=1304697824

Another shot of the reverse rotation setup:

IMG00136-20110506-0858.jpg?t=1304697823

The cast iron / reverse rotation setup in conjunction with the stock mopar frame brace should be bomb proof... That was how my '72 crew was setup when running 37" tires and had no issues! The only thing is - the reverse rotation setup doesn't lend itself to lifts... no way to get a "drop pitman" with this setup. However, like I mentioned before - take a peek at class 8 trucks and check out their steering box setups. Reverse rotation just like the early dodge 4x4s? Ayup.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM

I've seen that setup in Med duty trucks before. Had no idea that dodge had gone that way as well. Seems as though it also could have something to do with tire clearance.... as well as saving $.15 per truck as well.

Thanks for sharing that information.

T.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, if this is the case, would an early 1st Gen steering box bolt up to our trucks? You'd have to figure out something about a different drag link too.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Yup the Early boxes/cast iron mount bolt right up to the later trucks up through 1993.

The drag link you can reuse or just buy one from Rock auto (last time I checked they were on sale for CHEAP!

FWIW there are 3 early W/4x4 trucks with this reverse rotation box setup in the junkyard down the street from me. I bought one, yanked another and set it aside and the 3rd is still in the truck. These are usually hard to come by! I am thinking of just using the junkyard box as a core and send it out to PSC or similar to have it rebuilt/upgraded.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am using the old cast iron style set up on my 85 crew cab conversion. Two of the three bracket mounting bolt holes were there and there was no problem locating the third hole location with the bracket bolted in place. The only other difference between the two styles is the input shaft splines. I'm using the 92 steering column with the removable coupler flange. It will work out perfectly with the Flaming River double universal steering shaft.

Strangely enough I have seen articles on the other Dodge gasser websites on how to upgrade this older style box to the ones we have. Newer to me isn't always better.

There also seems to be a pattern between using oversized wider tread tires and steering box failures for me. I was having steering issues with my second replacement box and this time I put the recommended factory sized tires on. This eliminated my current steering issue which was power assist only in one direction. Your results may vary.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PSC Motorsports offers a complete new unit for our trucks as well as drilled and tapped for hydro assist.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Yup the Early boxes/cast iron mount bolt right up to the later trucks up through 1993.

The drag link you can reuse or just buy one from Rock auto (last time I checked they were on sale for CHEAP!
1. So if one wanted to replace his current steering gear with this "reverse rotation" unit and thereby lose the mounting plate, what is the complete list of new parts required for plug-and-play installation?

2. I suppose the list would start with the new steering gear, a new pitman arm, and a new draglink?

3. And either the Borgeson or Flaming River steering shaft will fit the reverse rotation steering gear without modification?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM

The Borgenson is advertised as 72-93 correct?!?

Which would include the early 72-78 4x4 Trucks that these boxes came stock on.

One more thing is you will need to have a custom pressure hose made - with the fitting for the cummins power steering pump on one end and the older style fitting on the 70's Steering Gear. (a local hose and fitting shop can make one up for you cheap if you have the old lines to reuse the fittings)

Quick Reply: Steering Gear brand ?