1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

steering binding, leaking input seal, time for new steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering binding, leaking input seal, time for new steering pump?

Well my steering has been wandering once in a while, it kinda of binds and goes one way, then i give it a little jerk and then it goes the other way, and then sometimes its fine So i adjusted my steering box two weeks ago and tightened it up and it helped and tightened up the steering for about a week, but it still would bind sometimes. And then the input seal started leakin just a bit and was wet around the seal. And now its leakin quite a bit and runnin out and down the bottom of the steering box. I thought about just changing the seal but I think my steering pump is shot and might as well change the whole thing. This truck has seen a lot of bumpy fields and pivot tracks in the past years and the steering has always been pretty sloppy.

Where have you guys found the best deal on a new steering box? and I was also thinkin about puttin in a borgeson shaft while I was at it? would you guys recommend this? Which borgeson shaft should i get and where is the best place to get it? thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
Well my steering has been wandering once in a while, it kinda of binds and goes one way, then i give it a little jerk and then it goes the other way, and then sometimes its fine So i adjusted my steering box two weeks ago and tightened it up and it helped and tightened up the steering for about a week, but it still would bind sometimes. And then the input seal started leakin just a bit and was wet around the seal. And now its leakin quite a bit and runnin out and down the bottom of the steering box. I thought about just changing the seal but I think my steering pump is shot and might as well change the whole thing. This truck has seen a lot of bumpy fields and pivot tracks in the past years and the steering has always been pretty sloppy.

Where have you guys found the best deal on a new steering box? and I was also thinkin about puttin in a borgeson shaft while I was at it? would you guys recommend this? Which borgeson shaft should i get and where is the best place to get it? thanks
I would definitely put in the Borgesen shaft, let me look where I bought mine. I think I got mine here http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/Borgeson.htm but they have all the specs. I am not associated with any vendor. There are 2 types. 1 with both ends with u-joints and 1 with only 1 end. If you do a lot of heavy offroading, get the double, if not, make sure to
replace the "rag" disc at the cab end. Try rockauto.com on the pump, many times you can get the part number on their site and search for a better price. ..Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM

What kind of condition are your front axle u joints in? I had the same problem with my 93, the steering was binding up and the truck was dancing all over the road, it was very unsafe to be driving. Both front axle u joints were toast and i replaced them and now there is no more binding in the steering and everything is smooth. Not saying that your steering box isnt bad, but just give the u joints a check.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM

alright thanks, I'll check my U-joints.

What do you guys recommend on the borgeson shaft? the one with two u-joint ends or just the one u-joint and the rag end? What do most guys with 1st gens run?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 PM

also has anyone ran the Borgeson Steering Box "Dodge Box" and has it made a big difference? or is it just a higher end, more expensive, longer lasting steering box?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM

I got the cheaper Borgeson on my Dually and it made the world of difference on wandering and sloppy wheel. I will probably throw a new rag joint in eventually but I reused my old one since it wasn't too cracked or anything....
Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
also has anyone ran the Borgeson Steering Box "Dodge Box" and has it made a big difference? or is it just a higher end, more expensive, longer lasting steering box?
I had my steering box re-manufactured here locally and it cost less than 200 dollars, of course I R & R'ed it myself. I put in a single u-joint Borgesen shaft with a new rag disk, new tires and an alignment and it made a world of difference...Mark
Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeah I'll probably just get a steering box from Rock auto or get a reman one. The borgeson box is a little more than i wanna pay right now. I was thinkin of goin with the double u-joint steering shaft though, It would probably last longer and stay tighter vs. the rag joint right?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Make sure the box and bracket are still firmly affixed to the frame and that the frame isn't cracked.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM

alright thanks wanna! I will check it out. This is a good excuse/time to get this fixed though, this sloppy steering has really gotten on my nerves, especially on long trips.