1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

steel rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steel rims

My 89 came with a mix and match rim set. The front are the silver painted factory steel with later (94+??) lug covers with the ram in the center. They were chewed out some to get the selectro locking hubs to go through. The rear have same caps and beauty rings but are a silver steel rim with large oblong holes around the outer edge. Does anyone know what they might be from? Maybe second gen? I like the look and want to find some for the front to match. Sorry no pic but don't have a digital camera

On a completely different subject...I spent 6 hours today getting the steering gear box off. Maaaaaaaaaaan what a pain . Gotta chase down new hoses tomorrow. Hopefully it will go back together easierQ
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by tfarm
On a completely different subject...I spent 6 hours today getting the steering gear box off. Maaaaaaaaaaan what a pain . Gotta chase down new hoses tomorrow. Hopefully it will go back together easierQ
I'm not sure if this applies to your truck but, look real hard at the plate that the steering box bolts to. Look for cracks around the bolt holes. Also, look at the frame around where the plate bolts to. Specifically the top of the frame, in the bends.

Some have seen cracks in the frame, as well as failure of the mounting plate (mine did).
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM

The plate looked OK but I ran out of light before I could get the frame cleaned up and checked. Thanks for the info.

Tim
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Looking at the driver's side, through where the radiator would sit (you can see the front bumper lower/right) ~ ~

The red arrows point to where the crack formed in my mess. That's the steering box mounting plate in the background. ~ ~

Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 PM

Mine had a crack running through the rivets where the crossmember is riveted. ( right under where Bc47's cracks were)