1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Starting my Getrag swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey sounds good 1stgen545. Now to answer questions...
Im swapping tailhousing cause the one it came with, the mounting ears were broke off, and being case, its hard to weld.

I got the Getrag with 130k for $600 is why its goin in. When I stumble across a good deal on a 4500, Ill do it then. Id much rather do the NV4500, but like I said, cost was a big issue, and this swap is already more than Id planned, what with hydraulics, new clutch, etc. etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Talking

Well, 2 months of itching and waiting, and I finally got it underway. Interior is gutted right now-so I can rewire the mess of a dash I have while I can. The drivetrain removal starts tomorrow a.m. BTW, for the shifter hole-Bearkiller was your measurement from the door kick panel or the one by the vent? And was it with door panel or trim on or off? I guess what Im asking is the hole centered on the hump...Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrettctd
BTW, for the shifter hole-Bearkiller was your measurement from the door kick panel or the one by the vent? And was it with door panel or trim on or off? I guess what Im asking is the hole centered on the hump...Thanks again.
Re-read my post about the measurements.

All plastic is out of the way.

The kick-panel is adjacent to the park-brake pedal.

The hole is off-set to the left side of the hump.

Just measure straight from the kick-panel and straight from the back wall of the cab.

Where these two measurements intersect will be your center-point.

Set your compass at half the hole diameter, place the point of the compass at the center-point and draw a circle.

Double check all this and don't boil-over if I made a bad measurement.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 PM

I know the things you have to do when $$$ is invalved. I just had to give you a hard time. Glad to see you are getting to this point. I want t see it when you are done. How's the down pipe going. Are you doing it like the one I did on DennyT's truck? We just put a 4500 In his. Well good luck I'll check back later.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

If you get a new tailhousing, you will have to remeasure the depth of the housing and shims to make sure you keep your correct bearing preload (being used, it is zero). Failure to do so can result in catastrophic failure at the most in opportune time. I can help you out via PM, email, phone, etc. It is too hot this time of year for me to go any farther south.

Daniel
Old 06-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Thats what G-rags do best. Just kidding.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dpuckett
If you get a new tailhousing, you will have to remeasure the depth of the housing and shims to make sure you keep your correct bearing preload (being used, it is zero). Failure to do so can result in catastrophic failure at the most in opportune time. I can help you out via PM, email, phone, etc. It is too hot this time of year for me to go any farther south.

Daniel
THanks. I hadnt thought about that. Luckily my brother (ex-mechanic) will be over tomorrow to help the install along, so he should know what to do. If not, Ill let you know. I Appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGen545
I know the things you have to do when $$$ is invalved. I just had to give you a hard time. Glad to see you are getting to this point. I want t see it when you are done. How's the down pipe going. Are you doing it like the one I did on DennyT's truck? We just put a 4500 In his. Well good luck I'll check back later.
Hadnt started the dp yet. gonna wait till I get this tranny in, in case I have something else to go around. Ya Im gonna do it like that, Ive got my 2 elbows, pipe, and the flange. Its gonna be a busy week, Ive got the tranny to put in, rewiring my gauges (I made the mistake of havin them put in 3 years ago, and wiring is a mess), building my 4" dp, and flipping my intake plate so I can put in my new crossover tube and turbo...if only it was as easy as typing it....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:21 PM

The next truck I get will be exactly what I want. I went into this as a $600 swap. With better clutch, the hydraulic set, rebuild kit, odds and ends here and there, Im now pushing close to $2k for this swap. Just a warning to anyone whos hunting a truck-make sure ya get exactly what youre looking for...or youll regret it later.