1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Started tweeking my pump today, and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started tweeking my pump today, and have questions

Today I installed my 3200 rpm spring...What a PITA. Dropped the "tophat" trying to remove it and had to look for the parts for 2 hours before finding them all!! At least I finally found them. Putting the pump back together went well at that point. The truck started right away. Went for my test drive and the truck felt boggy off of the line. Reset the high idle screw and it got a little better. At that point I turned the smoke screw in two turns and test drove the truck...better. Then I pulled the diaphram on the top of the pump and turned it untill the pin was lined up with the deep side of the shaft. (Mine was lined up with the shallow side.) The truck had more power again on the test drive. Then I turned the full fuel screw 1 full turn. At that point I stopped and went for an extended test drive.

Good power, still no smoke at all. The 3200 spring really made a difference. The truck pulled strong to 90 miles an hour where I backed off. I then climbed a 5 mile 10% grade hill, and with my foot into it, I couldn't make the pyro (post turbo) read above 600 degrees.

What should I do next? I think that I can fuel the truck more without any problems. As this truck is a pre-intercooled truck it has the larger injectors.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 PM

I did all the mods on this link and made 260 hp 633 tq. on a stock 1990 with no intercooler. the only thing I deviated with was shaving about .020 off the nylon washer instead of the full .090. goodluck http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 PM

did you turn the starwheel down?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by BIGTAN408
did you turn the starwheel down?
I didn't touch the star wheel, but I turned the fuel screw up one more turn today.
Now the truck is starting to smoke a little. I get a puff off of the line before the turbo spools up, but only if I stomp on it. If I ease it on I don't get any smoke. I don't get any smoke driving at 1/2 throttle, but if I put my foot into it the truck starts to put out a "haze".
I live at the top of a 5 mile 10% grade hill so I have a great place to test EGTs.
Even if I really plant my right foot I still can't get the EGTs above 600 degrees post turbo.
The truck is really starting to respond to throttle.... I hope I'm not killing my fuel mileage.
I read a post where Wannadiesel said that setting the fuel pin too aggressively will kill your mileage. I hope that he is talking about the people that are grinding them. I just set the stock pin to the most aggressive position. I would like some feedback on if that will hurt my mileage.
Also, I still haven't bumped my timing, shaved the nylon washer, or turned down the starwheel. I guess that I don't understand what doing these things will do to the truck. If someone would explain what these BOMBS do and if I should do them.
Thanks for all of the help I have been getting from this website
Don
Old 03-27-2006, 12:29 AM

I have done most of the pump tweaks to my truck. I haven't touched the starwheel but I guess the PO maxed it out before I did. I'm a little confused, you say you did all those tweaks and you get diddly for smoke? I noticed that as soon as did just the smoke screw I was getting a lot more. And now after setting the AFC, grinding the pin, and turning the full power screw in 1.5 turns, it smokes a lot more (not POD amount but enough to make pedestrians turn heads ). I notice that your truck has 20,000 miles on it, maybe thats part of the reason why it isn't smoking as much as mine say?
My fuel milage has suffered a bit but I expected that, more fuel=less MPG. Stock I got about 800kms to a tank and I still had 1/8th of a tank left. I partially blame my worse fuel economy due to the following:
1) My right foot became heavier I can't help myself haha
2) Winter diesel is known to hurt mpg
3) Probably my somewhat dirty K&N, soon to be replaced with a BHAF

I notice though, its mainly in town that hurts the fuel milage. On the highway its a little less but its not like its super serious.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 AM

Now go advance your pump timing about 1/8" or a little more. That made the biggest difference in throttle responce for me. With all my little tweaking, pump advance, shaved nylon washer, fuel pin ground, star wheel maxed, 4" exhaust, K&N open filter, and fuel screw about 1/2 a turn I made just over 230rwhp and 604rwtq. From there I advanced the pump more and turned the fuel screw 2 more full turns. It got CRAZY then. If I hammered it from a stop it would instantly spin through first, go into second and spin 3/4 the way through second. I tried a couple 4hi runs and it pulled insane hard. I never took it to a track but it was fast enough to beat my buddys 04 silverado that ran 16.0's in the 1/4.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

If you had more power before the mods, then I know exactly whats wrong. If you disassembled the throttle shaft then you didnt get it keyed back the same way. There are splines on the shaft, I have done the same thing myself. if you get it 1 spline off it will have low power, if you get it 1 spline off the other way it will idle really fast.
It almost sounded like you didnt have good power after the install, maybe I missread your thread but thats what it sounded like.
Good luck
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM

if you get it 1 spline off it will have low power, if you get it 1 spline off the other way it will idle really fast.
I think that I do have the throttle shaft one notch off. It was a bit boggy off of the line, and the idle was very slow. I just adjusted it out with the high/low idle stops. My thought was there was more than enough adjustment for one notch on the throttle shaft. If I am wrong about this could someone get back to me on the subject.
I'm a little confused, you say you did all those tweaks and you get diddly for smoke
I am not getting much in the way of smoke yet. Like I said earlier...
Now the truck is starting to smoke a little. I get a puff off of the line before the turbo spools up, but only if I stomp on it. If I ease it on I don't get any smoke. I don't get any smoke driving at 1/2 throttle, but if I put my foot into it the truck starts to put out a "haze".
I still haven't touched the star wheel. I also need to come up with a wrench for the bottom bolt on the pump to bump the timing. ( I did the 3200 spring with the timing in stock position) As far as shaving the washer....what does that do exactly?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 AM

to bump the pump you need a set of S-wrenches. I bought mine at a local auto store for under $10. Most auto stores like AutoZone, Advance, and PepBoys have them cheap. When you get to that point you may find out about the "rachet strap" that can help turn the pump. I think one of the country guys came up with it but it works.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 AM

shaving the washer lets the pin move further down. dont shave to much or it will hurt top end fueling. i cut to much on my first one. the second one i only shaved about .025" off of it. you can get the wrench in a set at harbor frieght for 10 or 12 dollars, metric S wrenches. i run my starwheel all the way down, it helped at low rpm, power and more smoke.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeboy1713
I read a post where Wannadiesel said that setting the fuel pin too aggressively will kill your mileage. I hope that he is talking about the people that are grinding them.
If the star wheel is run down too far or the smoke screw is turned in too far, around town mileage will suffer. You will know you've gone too far when you start getting a black puff from a normal takeoff.

You may be off a tick. EGT's sound a little too cool.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM

If you are off 1 notch on the fuel lever, you wont be able to adjust it out. You need to get it back to the correct notch. Just try moving 1 notch and see what happens.