1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

srw to drw

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srw to drw

how do you do it what parts are needed the rears are the same right. where to find the fenders
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM

I did a conversion on my '92 W250 with a complete kit (fenders included) with Alcoa rims and adapters from www.arrowcraft.com. It looks OEM and I have often confused onlookers when they read RAM250 on the front fender emblem and see two wheels in the back.

Aloha,
Matt
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 PM

I've seen it done and it looks pretty good. The rears are a little different, the hubs stick out further on the DRW. Good luck[/IMG]
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 PM

If you do it, post some pics . . . . I've been considering it.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Here is what you will need for the swap. I assume you have a 4x4.

DRW rear axle. It is wider than the SRW axle you have. The SRW unit will not let the inside duals clear the inner wheel wells with a stock bed. If you have a flat bed it will work just fine.

If you are going to change the front axle over also, you'll need the dually hubs/spindles/whatever you wanna call it. AFAIK the spacers do not bolt on the front axle like the 2nd gen trucks.

You can use aftermarket spacers for either of these. It is my preference not to do so.

Obviously, you're gonna need 6 wheels.

As far as the fenders are concerned, it is easiest IMO to swap the entire bed if you can find a good one. The cutouts in the bedside to accomodate the fender extensions are huge, and there is a lip formed inside it to bolt the fender onto. If you get real creative you could probably cut yours out and bend it in, then mount the fenders to that. The alternative is to use the conversion fenders like Matt did. I checked on them when I converted my old 91 to a drw, and they were like $450 a set. I had $500 in an entire bed with tailgate.

I converted my early 91 after the srw 70 grenaded itself. A buddy and I spent $1500 on a 90 D350 drw for parts (he wanted the motor and getrag, I got the rest of the stuff), drove it home and started cutting. It came with another bed, which was beat, but not as bad as the truck was. I swapped the axle and the overloads onto the rear. For the front, I took off the rotors and slid on the drw rotor/spacer combo. They used the same brakes, spindles, bearings, etc. Later I bought another bed which was straight, with perfect fenders, and put it on. I had $600 in the truck we bought, which I sold some parts off of, scrapped out the rest, and came pretty close to breaking even on it.

Just make sure you really want to do this. Not long after I did mine, I kinda wished I hadn't. I was always so paranoid about the fenders getting smashed and you know as well as I do that they are not exactly easy to find. I ended up traded it off for my W350 crew. Now I want a 2wd dually again.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 PM

yea thanks for the help guys but after hering how much work it is i think im gunna leave it alone. i didnt think it was as much work and money as it is
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not converting my 1st gen... got a 07 dually....
but i always find this question funny......
There are a lot of guys on this board that want to trade single wheel front hubs for duals....

And there are a lot of rock crawlers that like dana 60s, and end up finding a dually front end, but need single wheel front hubs.

My recommendation is to go to a rockcrawler site like www.pirate4x4.com and post an add to offer a trade of single wheel hubs for dual wheel hubs.

i have recommended this approach to my rockcrawler friends many times and they usually find someone interested in a trade in a couple days.....

I am sure you will too.. good luck.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Here is what I did:
Front
picked up on ebay a pair of front dual spud adaptors. I had to mill out the center to go over the 4wd hubs - not much, less than 1/16 if I remember. This made it possible to run the dual style wheel on the front.
Rear
simply added a 2.75" alum spacer. ream out stud holes for the new 9/16" studs, additional purchase at napa - get the longest that they have - about 2.75" or so.
Looks/works great. Nothing permant. I can go back to singles in a half hour with the impact gun.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM

i have a set of DRW front hubs off a chevy dana 60(same as Dodge). if any1 wants to pm me.