1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

sputters,dies, wont start...pleae help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sputters,dies, wont start...pleae help

Hello I have an 89 dodge 250 5.9 turbo cummins diesel. I drove through a large snow drift, truck went about 1 mile and stalled, would not start. I add 911 fueline treatmeant in tank and fuel filter as directed by the man. and it started. 3 times now i have driven 3-10 miles and the truck just shuts down again, acting much like the first time. The last time it stalled it seemed like it wanted to start right back up, but ended up burning the starter out trying. With new starter & battery in place and several attempts of starting fluid and even running the motor on short blast of starter fluid to purge the lines, it will not run. I located a manuel lever on the side of the fuel pump and pumped ten times, felt no pressure building. turning ignition on and off looking for some kind of movment for fuel shutoff he accidently engages starter and it fires right up. So truck shuts down for no appearant reason. Thanks again everyone for your input and have a happy New Year.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM

It sounds to me like you have a fuel leak where it is sucking air before the lift pump. It may have happened when you drove thru the snow drift. Check the metal fuel line under the cab where it starts goint up to the lift pump. I had simular issues to what you describe on my old 89' and found a small hole in the metal line where it was sucking air.

Hope this helps and gets you going.....
Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
It sounds to me like you have a fuel leak where it is sucking air before the lift pump. It may have happened when you drove thru the snow drift. Check the metal fuel line under the cab where it starts goint up to the lift pump. I had simular issues to what you describe on my old 89' and found a small hole in the metal line where it was sucking air.

Hope this helps and gets you going.....
ty I will look into that
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Check the FSS solenoid. Check for 12V power to the unit, if it doesn't start remove the solenoid and take out the plunger and spring and re-install. If it fires then you know that was your problem. You will have to use the manual shut down lever on the side of the IP to shut the motor down. If it still doesn't start then likely it's air in the system.