1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedo/Odometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:20 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speedo/Odometer problem

The speedo had quit working, so I replaced the electronic sending unit, now the odometer isnt working... any ideas?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Is the speedometer working now and the odometer not working? The speedometer on a 91 should be a VDO electronic. If the speedometer is working then the odometer probably just died. It is run by a stepper motor that just counts pulses from the electronics. It steps through a series of little plastic gears and usually a tooth breaks off and it stops working. It cost about $90.00 USD to repair and calibrate the speedometer/ odometer if you remove the head.

If nothing is working,
And you replaced the sender, how was the drive and driven gear and drive pin. Was it put back in the same position?
This is what happened on mine.
Jim
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 AM

First condition: No speedo but Odometer worked...
replaced electric speedo sending unit...
New Condition: Speedo works but odomter is dead....

I only replaced the upper half of the speedo unit on the tranny, it went back in fine and seems to be working perfectly. Ran into a buddy on the local PD right after I changed it out and was test driving it, and had him clock me just to be sure speedo was reading correctly, and it was dead on..
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
My odometer doesn't work either, but the speedo is just about right on calibration as checked by my GPS. I am interested in the final outcome if you opt to get it fixed. There is a company in Richmond VA that does repairs but they are high as a kite on shop rates. Estimate 150 clams and that is with me handing the unit to them. If you can get it done a lot cheaper please PM me with the name of the company and their phone number. I am way to cheap to pay out that much for a odometer repair. I'd rather spend it on gofast parts and beer.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Well since your speedometer is working OK and your odometer in not, I would think it just picked this particular time to die. Like I said before the odometer is only driven with a stepper that gets its pulses from the speedometer circuit to count the miles. Before you pull the speedo head, try and install your old sender and see if the odometer works again. The sender might serve 2 purposes and drive them individually but I don't think so.
It's worth a try. Jim
Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 AM

small minds think alike... I tryed putting the old unit back in yesterday, speedo and odo both didnt work... guess I will call around to see where I can get the odo repaired.....
Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

It's sad that they charge so much to fix the darn things, if you took it apart you would probably find that 1 tooth broke off the gear and stopped the whole party.
Good luck.Jim
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to get mine fixed as well. Speedo bounces and no Odometer. So any one who knows a good place to send it please post it
Old 10-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo

I have a 92 after i replaced the sending unit and it still wasnt working i went to dodge and ordered a new adapter that goes between the trans and the sending unit i havent put it on yet but when i took the old one apart the pin was stripped inside the little gear i rigged it up by smashing it in a vice and forcing it back into the gear and the speedo started working fine its a good temp fix ,the adapter was $93.00