1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedo/Crank Sensor/Fuel Gauge /Part #'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedo/Crank Sensor/Fuel Gauge /Part #'s

3 questions since I hate going to the dealer and asking for a part and having them tell me it doesnt exist because they are too stupid to open their eyes...maybe you guys can help out...

1. Anyone know the part numbers for the L-Shaped Adapter that mounts to the Getrag 360 Speedometer Gear Housing and Vehicle Speed Sensor?

This is a cast steel part, i've shown pics before in the past. I've attempted to fix this thing myself several times and nothing seems to work. I've even paid for a guy who rebuilds them for 18-wheelers to attempt to fix it and even he couldnt do it.

I'm sick of not having cruise or a speedo and ready to just buy one from the dealer since I can't seem to find a used one for the life of me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Also, looking for the part number for the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Local parts stores dont list it, I'm sick of the flickering lights since I've wired in the external regulator and have no A/C in this Texas heat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Last one, My fuel gauge doesnt work. When I fill it up, it'll show full, but after about 10 miles it dwindles off to empty and stays there... Low fuel light comes on right at about 6-7 gallons remaining, so somethings working in there... I've heard there was a TSB and a "repair kit" on this, but haven't found it online. Anyone deal with the same thing?

Any help is always appreciated, I've decided to keep my truck and not sell it for the time being. Might as well make it a bit nicer and more comfortable.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:24 PM

BTTT if anyone knows???

I got my crank position sensor rewired, OOOOOH that AC is cold! ...now it's just
the Speedo and Fuel Level that need attention.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The ratio adapter on the trans is different depending on which axle ratio you have. I also belive Mopar has stopped selling them.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Den

Fuel Gauge

For the adapter read this thread. Edwinsmith did the homeowrk work on this one already. The link above is the same place he got his adapter from.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=57468

Den
Old 05-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally posted by Den
Fuel Gauge

For the adapter read this thread. Edwinsmith did the homeowrk work on this one already. The link above is the same place he got his adapter from.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=57468

Den
UNHHHH, my truck is an 89 with the mechanical speedometer. If yours is a mechanical speedo with a cable then the part I got in the above thread is probably the correct one assuming the internal gear in the tranny is correct.

I know nothing of the electronic speedometers in later years though so I don't know if this is the part you need. The parts guy at chrysler parts direct is very helpful though so he may be able to find the correct part for you if the "right angle reversing adaptor" I got isn't the correct one.

Confused enough now?

The fuel gauge on mine is a bimetal strip with a heating wire wrapped around it. The reostat in the tank varies the current in the heating wire and so on. The low fuel light is an electronic goodie which probably senses the voltage from the reostat so that's probably why it still works.

If the connections are good on the instrument cluster then the gauge may be bad. I had to solder the pins sticking out of the circuit board because they're only crimped in and over time they will get funky. That may be your problem.

Just solder the base of the pins to the foil on the instrument cluster circuit board and see if it fixes things.

Good luck

Edwin
Old 05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

I had a 90 D250 that was electric and had the "right angle" adapter. It
had BOTH electric and mechanical hookups, I'm using it now with a Getrag
while my NV is being built. These are NOT made anymore, you'll have to dig
around to find one.

They only reverse the rotational direction, there is a gear that you change for
different rear axel ratios.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:37 PM

I'll pull the fuel gauge and see about soldering her up.

About the adapter, I've torn it apart about 5 times. It seemed like it worked fine in my hand. But if you grab both the hex-shaped shafts and turn one and put a load on the other (by hand) the little gear slips on the shaft. The last time I tore it down I figured maybe that was the problem, so I put tiny tack welds and ground them smooth so the gears would be locked to the shaft.

I put the adapter back in and the speedo was the same, bouncing all over the place, 0mph, back all over the place, and sometimes just sit at 0 for a while. Even in neutral while sitting at a stop light the speedo would be all over the place.

I read that someone put the VSS straight to the trans and it worked fine. I tried that too, but it did the same exact thing as it did with the adapter in between.

I've scoured salvage yards and have found that these adapters are only on getrag equipped pickups with electrical speedos. Or I assume.

Anyhow, I just read Edwin's post about this topic and guess I'm going to order the part from the same place you did. Since the price seems to be about a 1/4 of what the dealer quoted me.

What gear ratio and tire size do you have Edwinsmith?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:16 AM

What does the crank position sensor have to do with the AC?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally posted by TexasHardcore

What gear ratio and tire size do you have Edwinsmith?
To be honest, I don't know what the rear diff ratio is. I'm in CA right now and the truck is back in KS so I can't tell you what the tires are either.

When I finally got the right angle adapter on the Speedo read to fast so I had to change the tranny gear from a 30 to a 31 tooth.

Edwin
Old 05-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Den

Originally posted by apwatson50
I think the 92-93 trucks have a full throttle cutoff relay for the AC. I know my 91.5 doesn't have one though.

Den
Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Whatever it has to do with it, it sure doesn'twork when you bypass the
ECU's voltage regulator with an external regulator. I had a belt come loose and slap the wires to the Crank Sensor, making my computer basically useless, resulting in a non-charging voltage regulator and AC compressor wouldn't kick on. It's all fixed now and I'm darn happy about it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 PM

I guess thats why when my dad put an external voltage regulator on his AC didn't work. So how do you wire it so that the AC works with an external regulator?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 PM

how much does one of those crankshaft position sensors go for?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 PM

I guess thats why when my dad put an external voltage regulator on his AC didn't work. So how do you wire it so that the AC works with an external regulator?
Wire up the AC Compressor through a fuse & a switch. Make sure the switch gets its power from a source thats only hot when the ignition is on so it wont stay running.

I was contemplating going that route, but I figured I'd test the CPS one last time before giving up. Glad I did too, cause it was just a bad connection at a butt-splice connector from my last road-side fix in wet 32* weather.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:03 PM

Thats what I did, just wired up a switch to manually turn the compressor on, then it worked, I thought there might be a way to wire it so it would turn on regularly.