1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

speaker crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker crack

well i have heard of problems in these trucks where the speakers make a noise at speed. Mine sound great, they are new speakers, while im parked with the truck running they start making a crackling noise if i jack the volume up real high, but when i am at speed i cant turn them up very high at all with a nasty crackling noise muffling my music. I seem to think it is my cd player. It is a newer cd player but both speakers are wired into one side since the other side doesnt work on the cd player. Is it because of my alternator or something liek that or is my cd player?
thanks
zach
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 PM

I just went to future shop or somewhere where they offer a new deck install included in price and the install etc is guaranteed too, I bought new 6*9 installed in the doors with power locks, a viper alarm(install included)
& get the ext jack in the front of the deck so you can plug the satalite radio in there that clears up the sat radio sound good luck

Last edited by timberfalls; 05-20-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM

What have you guys used when buying new 6x9 speakers for the bottom of the doors? Is there a speaker that fits relatively well as far as mounting in the same exact spot as the factory speaker (as far as the four mounting screws are concerned)? I just removed my factory driver's side door 6x9 speaker and am going to replace them with new ones. Another issue is what have you guys done as far as utilizing the factory wire harness plug that plugs into the terminal connector mounted on the factory speaker? I'd rather not cut that connector off and just solder the wire ends to the new speakers' terminals. Any hints or tips there? Both my factory 6x9 speakers are blown and I'll be buying the new replacements in a few days and I can't wait to have music again.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by faylorz
well i have heard of problems in these trucks where the speakers make a noise at speed. Mine sound great, they are new speakers, while im parked with the truck running they start making a crackling noise if i jack the volume up real high, but when i am at speed i cant turn them up very high at all with a nasty crackling noise muffling my music. I seem to think it is my cd player. It is a newer cd player but both speakers are wired into one side since the other side doesnt work on the cd player. Is it because of my alternator or something liek that or is my cd player?
thanks
zach

sound like to me the ohm load is to low on the head unit.. when you turn the volume up the head unit is geting hot and taking it out on the speakers.. try only running the driver side speakers this will tell you if its the headunit or the speakers..
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RamW350 dually
What have you guys used when buying new 6x9 speakers for the bottom of the doors? Is there a speaker that fits relatively well as far as mounting in the same exact spot as the factory speaker (as far as the four mounting screws are concerned)? I just removed my factory driver's side door 6x9 speaker and am going to replace them with new ones. Another issue is what have you guys done as far as utilizing the factory wire harness plug that plugs into the terminal connector mounted on the factory speaker? I'd rather not cut that connector off and just solder the wire ends to the new speakers' terminals. Any hints or tips there? Both my factory 6x9 speakers are blown and I'll be buying the new replacements in a few days and I can't wait to have music again.
what i do when i change the speakers is i do cut the plug that goes to the old speaker but leave enough wire on the plug and take a 9v battery and do what they call a pop test. take the 9v batter and touch the wires on the old plug wile its still pluged into the old speaker. when you do this the speaker will pop look and see which way the speaker pops either out or in you want it to pop out.. then look see which wire is on the + side of the battery now you no which is the + and - on the speaker.. then get you some bell caps and use the new wire that came with the speakers and plug and play..
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM

I put in kenwood 6x9 in the door Ive got a 12 solarbaric sub alpine cd-mp3 player 600watt mtx amp running it all.
can only turn up my stereo halfway anymore and my eardrum's have a funny ring to them
the 6x9's have 2 tweet's 1 mid 1 sub in them the system rock's added bonus is I can't here the engine
Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't forget to check the speaker wiring in the door jamb, after years of opening and closing the copper strands get metal fatigued and break.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 AM

yea i ran new speaker wire to my doors from my stereo and as they say this isnt my first rodeo ive done numerous stereos in my trucks and friends trucks but ill try doing what boostedve said and figure it out. and as far as mounting 6x9's i just but some tabs behind the holes when i put the speaker in and the screw holes match up so it isnt all that much of an operation.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
"What have you guys used when buying new 6x9 speakers for the bottom of the doors?"

Try this Link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...107DB691&tp=91

These Polk Audio speakers will bolt right into where the existing OEM door speakers fit and Crutchfield supplies plugs that allow attaching the new speakers to the OEM connectors with no cutting of wires (and also resolves any confusion on the +/- polarity issue). These units are marine-rated so rainwater in the door is not a worry and the speakers certainly sound good in my truck.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM

The real question is where too find the back speaker's in after market ??
Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. And james1 I appreciate you posting the link to Crutchfield for the direct fit replacement speakers. That's exactly what I was looking for and I went ahead and put an order in for a pair of them. Seems to be a good speaker and I can't wait to get them.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 grumpy
The real question is where too find the back speaker's in after market ??
There aren't a lot of 4x10's out there. I had a nice set of JBL 4x6's out of my old Cop-price laying around, so I made adapters to fit them in there. When I had a '95 Suburban for a while, I put in a set of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-731 and they sounded pretty good and I'm very picky. Parts Express carries other 4x10's, but I'd avoid the Pyramid brand. All the Pyramid stuff I've heard sounds like crap.

The front speakers in my truck are JBL 6x9's, also recycled from my lamented '88 Cop-price. That was a fun car.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if u just wanna get speakers that work walmart has 4x10's. boss 3 way full range chaos speakers for 22 bucks
Old 01-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lovin1stgens
if u just wanna get speakers that work walmart has 4x10's. boss 3 way full range chaos speakers for 22 bucks
Have those same speakers in my dad's 81 chevy. sound awesome.

4x6's in my chevy sound like crap, no bass at all. very "tinny"

You REg. cab guys, I'd make a custom speaker mount out of steel for the corners (behind the seat), and put some 6x9's in.

Ext. cab guys, i've seen 6x9's put right into the panel like over top of the little pad for the jumpseat (this is what the po did in the old 93 ext. cab we had)

6x9's is one of the best sounding speakers out there imo.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny story,

The other day I was doing some towing, every time I stopped the truck, I would loose the radio station. Start rolling again, station would come back. The only thing different was the trailer. So, my theory was the electromagnetic interference from the brake magnets on the trailer brakes.

Quick Reply: speaker crack