1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Sound Deadener

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sound Deadener

After much research I have now found a website that gives the straight skinny on making a rig quiet. One big revelation is that you don't have to cover all the sheet metal with a product designed for dampening, like Dynamat, but merely 25 percent. Well check it out and watch the videos. BTW I have used secondskinsaudio's spectrum and it takes a lot of the tin can sound out. After you dampen the sheet metal, the most important part of making a cab quite is using mass loaded vinyl product is what is needed to block the sound. Well since, sound deadener show down is now selling their own products I am going to try their stuff and will keep you posted. I had budgeted 300 bucks for making the cab quiet, I hope I can save a lot more than that.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good ides for all the noise in the roof on the crew cab.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM

I know guys who filler the roof with spray foam. Here is my plan: 1. Fill with Great Stuff 2. Paint on Spectrum 3. Use CLD tiles, CCF, and MLV 4. Make headliner. This will be the last part of the project though so I won't know how it will work out for a while, maybe the end of summer.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've often thought about putting spray foam in the roof to make it more quiet. I think the biggest noise culprit isn't the engine or exhaust or any of that. It's simply wind noise going down the road due to that stupid rain drip.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:07 PM

One big problem is dodge never painted the steel in the roof so could the foam trap water on a day that is hi in humidity. I think dodge used foam behind the quarter panels on the beds and rust is all they got. Looking for a better way and to stop the rust up in the roof like spray bed liner
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM

I've thought about that too. It's the main reason I haven't don it lol.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the top of the door jam next to the roof on all 4 drs. I did spray some rubberised crap in the visor hole with a extension on the nozzle not much luck with that. If you look at some post of guys that have cut the roof you will get a better idea of what we are up against.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a flange in the way behind the sun visor holes to get anything sprayed in very far.

On my 1980 4-door cab there was a fiberboard/cardboard sheet between the ceiling steel and roof steel. It looks like it was originally held to the ceiling with strips of double stick tape, but it is just floating in there now.

I have come close to cutting the ceiling out so I can paint the roof innards with por15 and stick on some Boom Mat or some other butyl rubber product.

I have always been worried about foam holding water, but I did fill the space between the roof and ceiling on my 1977 4-door cab in 1995 or 1996 and it has been outside ever since. I don't live in the rust belt, but I do live in Oregon where we get 4 very different seasons each year and a lot of rain. Even though I had to fix serious rust issues across the top of the windshield before I foamed it, it has held up very well, and it made a HUGE difference in the drum effect of the roof..

In the end, I have decided to fill the void in my new cab with foam. I even drilled three holes in the ceiling with a hole saw to aid this. Some kind of overhead console and/or headliner will cover the holes.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 AM

Here's a thread i did on what I was looking at for this spring. It looks like it would solve the sound issue and avoid the rust one. I thought I'd try it along with some rattle trap matting and new carpet....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t283392.html Has anyone ever used this stuff for sound deadening in their truck?

Here's one of the reviews off a boat: I ordered 3 gallons of your sound-reducing paint, for use on my sons' Sabalo 32 boat. Boat has a Cummins 260 Turbo diesel engine, and it was LOUD.

After applying 2 coats of your paint to inside of engine box, and undersides of adjacent areas, engine noise was reduced by about 50%. I took one trip on the boat before application, and normal conversation was not possible. Now it is!!

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/liquid.htm

http://silentcoating.com/index.html

The video is pretty impressive.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you used foam, would you have to fill the entire roof void, or might one spot in the middle help damp the vibrations?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Buddy Stewert
One big problem is dodge never painted the steel in the roof so could the foam trap water on a day that is hi in humidity. I think dodge used foam behind the quarter panels on the beds and rust is all they got. Looking for a better way and to stop the rust up in the roof like spray bed liner
Id say it could trap water if water could get in there. One thing tho, it would insulate the roof so there wouldnt be as much condensation happening on the under side of the roof. If you sould get the roof sealed, the inside roof painted and foamed, you could have a dry and quiet cab couldnt you?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Im wanting to quiet down my truck too, I get tired of having my sony stereo cranked up to volume 22 just to hear the thing. Has anyone ever put that sound deadening material all over the firewall and inner fender and inner hood and successfuly got rid of engine noise?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1992gen1_fan
Im wanting to quiet down my truck too, I get tired of having my sony stereo cranked up to volume 22 just to hear the thing. Has anyone ever put that sound deadening material all over the firewall and inner fender and inner hood and successfuly got rid of engine noise?
that's EXACTLY why I want my truck quieter. I like to listen to music that I can hear.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 1992gen1_fan
There is a video somewhere of Jim Lane's truck. The camera is sitting B1tch and at the stop light all you can hear is the signal flasher clicking. He has that sound proof stuff you are talking about. So by that video I would say yes it works and works well! I think it's in the sticky somewhere under one of his many many projects he has on here.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Maybe it is the teacher in me, but I would like you all to redirect to my original point. Before any one goes out and buys 300 bucks worth of sound deadening check out this website. http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Quick Reply: Sound Deadener