1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Something loose in front end driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Something loose in front end driving me nuts!

Hey guys! I'm needing to pick ya'lls brain if ya don't mind. Here recently I have developed a ddk;kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk'lkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk A
Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM

LOL SORRY! I sat the comp. down for a min. and my girl friends cat laid down on the key board. How she posted I don't know? What I was saying is... I have developed a knock in the front end. I usually notice it when I put on the brakes. Or after going from reverse back to drive. I have looked at the calipers, brake pads, and other front susp. components, but don't see what is making this noise. It sounds like metal hitting metal. Its not a continues noise. Just one loud pop after applying the brakes or changing directions. I feel pretty confident its in the front end. I can feel it under my feet. If any of you have ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a clunk sometimes when I slow down to come to a stop or when I'm slowing down to turn. Not sure what it is though.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Stupid cats!

Does the steering jerk?

It really sounds like a loose caliper or loose caliper bracket to me.

You know you can edit your posts, right?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Id start by checking all bushings and ball joints in the front end. Most common "Knock" in the front end that I can think of would be worn our or just plain gone sway bar bushings. Had 1 fall apart then fall out on a jeep one time and everytime i hit a bump or enter a parking lot etc, It would sound like someone whacked the h3!! outta my frame with a claw hammer. Other that that maybe a worn out steering part or even a spring bushing maybe. Check all your bushings first then go from there. Someone please add if im missing something I'm sure I am.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Yea, I just don't know how to edit my posts. I've been trying to figure out quite a few functions on here that I hear folks use. Is there some kind of tutorial on the forum. This is really my first time to learn about computers or playing on the internet since I bought my laptop. My GF makes fun of me cause this is about the only thing I do w/ the comp. Looking up truck info. Anyways, I felt it was a caliper or brake issue also, but haven't been able to find anything wrong. I'm going out there in a few to look it all over again. I've already bent the tabs on the pads to fit tighter to the caliper. Well, Thanks for the tips and if ya think of anything else let me know. Thanks a lot! Later!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM

this might be a shot in the dark but...
after a caliper gets rebuilt for the hundredth time they begin to where out where it comes in contact with the caliper bracket. they sell a spacer that helps take up some of the slop. when the caliper grabs ahold of the rotor it slams into the caliper backet, hence why you hear it forward to reverse.
just a thought.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for all the helpful comment. I figured out what it was. When I looked at it the first time I missed it, but on the passenger side caliper the piece of spring metal that keeps the caliper in its place, but allows it to float free was not completely tightened on the bottom . It was popping up and hitting the rim. I noticed that the back side of the caliper had some wear. So did the inside of the rim. It just hadn't had enough time to create the wear marks the first time I looked at it. Again, Thanks! Oh, so how do you edit a post?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Haha Wow! I just saw it at the bottom right of each post.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM

A couple months ago i had a similar noise from the front axle turns out i was missing a brake pad clip that was allowing the pad to move back and forth in the caliper making a metal to metal sound.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
going from fwd to reverse or over speed bumps slowly can make a sound if your drag link(?) bars are loose in the lower control arms. They fasten with the two bolts/nuts on the lower control arm and go diagonally inboard to the front of the vehicle. Make sure those fasteners exist and are tight as well.. There is play in the lower control arm, the holes are ovalized. Not sure if this is an alignment component or not though
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Skinny, don't edit that original post. It is too awesome. My side hurts from laughter...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Yea thats why I left it after I saw how to edit. Every time I check back here I laugh a little. The cat is always trying to get the screen when something moves on it. I guess when she laid down she enjoyed watching the letters come up. Then posted when she started trying to catch it
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Hello DTR! Well, that dang noise is back. It's the passenger caliper and the bottom outer most "corner" is coming up and hitting the wheel. Hey Bradshaw106 could you, or anyone at that, tell me where I can find those inserts you mentioned. I called the local parts store and the fella had no idea what I was referring to. Thanks!