1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Some Of You Are Against This But I Did It

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Of You Are Against This But I Did It

so i had a nitrous bottle laying around for most of the winter months and it will only be used on the weekends during the summer so i thought what the heck i mind as well put it to work. after getting all the parts from my nieghbor for an additional 75 dollars this is what i put together

so i first started out with a piece of plywood and a bottle then i thought why not give the flat piece of wood some caracter so i got a 1x1 and made some trim for it. here im marking it all out around the bottle then i square it up and cut it out

heres everything cut out

heres it all nailed togethor and the holes drilled for the brackets

i then put some carpet on it and installed the brackets

I then installed some hinges on the bottom of it dont worry you'll see what im going to do with these

heres the intake horn i opted to put my nozzle in there

heres the hole drilled out

here is the nitrous nozzle and the hardware to install it in the intake horn, i should of taken the pictures on something else besides the shiney orange paint

here it is installed in the intake horn
Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 PM

heres the nitrous jets i put the smallest one in for now

intake horn back on the truck with the nitrous just inside the nozzle

here is the nitrous solenoid

this is where i had to mount the solenoid for now until i get a longer line from the solenoid to the nozzle then ill move it to the inner fender or firewall

i then grounded one wire to the bottom of the solenoid and i checked the solenoid to make sure it was opening and closing by putting it to the battery once that checked out i ran the other wire inside to a toggle switch and i put mine were there used to be a light in the dash

i then ran it to a push button that i mounted on my steering wheel

after doing alot of thought the only place i could mount the nos bottle safely and to ensure good flow in the bottle was inbetween the 2 rear jump seats in the ext cab. i could not mount it in the bed because i always have a dog box or im always using the bed. and to properly use all the contents you want the bottle at a slight angle up with the valve facing the front of the truck and the 45 degree cut on the inside tube down so this is where i had to mount it

but since im always having to put hunting gear or other miscelanous stuff and kids in te back when i go to the lake losing the use of my back seat wasnt an option so this is what i came up with, i used the hinges and now i can hinge it down to the correct angle when i want to use the bottle or i can safely store it in the up right position out of the way

im not going to be using this all the time its only going to be for the ocassional dyno or the once in a while racing the ricers from stop light to stop light. or maybe when the un suspecting powerjoke pulls up next to me when we both have a load goin uphill

what do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Nice Job! Let us know how it works
Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious how legal it is to drive around with Nitrous in the cab??

If you happen to get stopped will the law do anything about it?

Just curious.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM

well im not to worried about it, he would have to JUMP pretty high in order to see it in my cab
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tool

Just curious.
I don't think they can do anything about it. Anyone with a Camaro or hatchback Mustang has the same situation.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in CA if your bottle valve is closed, then they can't get you for it. If it is open, then they can ticket ya.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious.
Only thing the cops can do about nitrous is give you a 20 dollar fine only if it is full. Ive been pulled over many times in my nissan with 2 full bottles of nitrous mounted between the front seats and they didnt even say anything about it. Most cops really dont care or notice.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM

dean wat size jets are u running and jqmile wat size jets do u plan on running
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dean Snow
Only thing the cops can do about nitrous is give you a 20 dollar fine only if it is full. Ive been pulled over many times in my nissan with 2 full bottles of nitrous mounted between the front seats and they didnt even say anything about it. Most cops really dont care or notice.
Well that is cool.......

What is the $20 ticket for though?

I can understand if you have a 6" lift that it would be a tick hard to see in the cab though.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by SMOKE' EM
dean wat size jets are u running and jqmile wat size jets do u plan on running

I run in around a .060 jet. I'm thinking a .057 to be exact. My tip to you is to start with in around the area of a .030 (bout a 40-50 horse shot) and go from there. Are you blowing a cloud of smoke at WOT? if your not i wouldn't suggest going over a .030 as it will get you no where but putting the fire out.

And I'm sure you have done this, but, there are quite a few people i know who haven't because they just don't think about it. Make sure your nozzle is sorta tilted in the intake horn. Holes towards the passenger side but tilted down 1/8-1/4 of an inch to make sure the nitrous does not turn back into a gas and stays liquefied otherwise its just wasting cash and robbing your power.

I've been running nitrous on engines since i was 14. I have 5 years experience and hundreds of experimental hours with it and have used it on close to 15 cars/trucks of my familys and about 5 of my friends without any problems except for a 200 shot on a stock engine just to see what it would take to blow it.

If you have any questions just ask. And don't run the nitrous under 12 lbs of boost.

Occasionally I will run nitrous from start to end even before i get into any boost but i have enough fuel there to eat it up.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM

What is the $20 ticket for though?

Haha thats the fine for having a full bottle of nitrous in a vehicle.

The only reason nitrous is illegal is for the same reason as turbo chargers (emissions/safey reasons)

And no nitrous doesn't blow up like they show in the Fast and the Furious.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Chapter President

Sweet. Nothing like some NX!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 AM

NOS and W/M? You better be careful.....that head gasket wont like you for long if you run both. Oughta be fun though.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Snow
I run in around a .060 jet. I'm thinking a .057 to be exact. My tip to you is to start with in around the area of a .030 (bout a 40-50 horse shot) and go from there. Are you blowing a cloud of smoke at WOT? if your not i wouldn't suggest going over a .030 as it will get you no where but putting the fire out.

And I'm sure you have done this, but, there are quite a few people i know who haven't because they just don't think about it. Make sure your nozzle is sorta tilted in the intake horn. Holes towards the passenger side but tilted down 1/8-1/4 of an inch to make sure the nitrous does not turn back into a gas and stays liquefied otherwise its just wasting cash and robbing your power.

I've been running nitrous on engines since i was 14. I have 5 years experience and hundreds of experimental hours with it and have used it on close to 15 cars/trucks of my familys and about 5 of my friends without any problems except for a 200 shot on a stock engine just to see what it would take to blow it.

If you have any questions just ask. And don't run the nitrous under 12 lbs of boost.

Occasionally I will run nitrous from start to end even before i get into any boost but i have enough fuel there to eat it up.

on my nozzle it has a opening in the on the side of it not on the tip so my nieghbor said i didnt have to angle it just make sure the opening is down the intake horn

Quick Reply: Some Of You Are Against This But I Did It