1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

So very excited...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So very excited...

just ordered my 3200 spring from Piers... I know I know I should have done this a long time ago but oh well....
A few questions though:
I am completely uncertain of the last time my valves were adjusted, so I'm guessing it's due at 153,000 miles. Would it be absolutely necessary to do this before putting that spring in? I mean higher RPM's = Valves moving faster, so would possible damage result if they are out of tolerance, or am I ok for a few weeks? Secondly, how hard is it really to put this thing in? I've read the instructions multiple times and looked at the pics, so am I solid to do it with some mechanical abilities?
If all goes well I'll be doing the install next weekend!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, you ought to adjust the valves at some point, but a little extra RPM won't hurt anything.

If you feel comfortable doing the 3200 RPM spring, you will be fine. Expect it to take a couple hours.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM

I think I understand the process, its just putting it into practice with such an expensive piece of merchandise that can be nerve racking!

Also, I had a few other questions, and you seem to know alot about them based on the posts I've been reading, so here goes..
I was considering grinding the afc lever off while I'm in there, or to a certain extent. Is there a way I can do this that will still allow the afc to function, or is it all or nothing? I will be towing with this truck, not too heavy (in the near future) but eventually I probably will. And, with fuel prices where they are right now, would this be an economical decision, given I keep by foot out of it?
Secondly, I'm in the process of getting parts together for a valet switch. If I grind my afc lever, and if this in fact disables the afc function, will the valet switch be pointless?

Thanks, Cal
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you want to tow, don't grind the lever. It pretty much disables the AFC. And yes, a valet switch is of minimal value with a ground AFC lever.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM

thats what I needed to know, thanks alot!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

you can tow, you just have to drive with "smartfoot" and an eye on the tailpipe

as for installing the spring... these engines can be a little daunting to the unexperienced. I had built TONS of hotrods before I started messing w/ diesels, but it was like my first time all over again. I was scared!

Just take your time and be thorough, don't force anything, don't rush anything, don't be affraid to come in and post up and ask questions and wait for the answer!

as you get more comfortable with it, it becomes just another engine held togther by regular ol' nuts and bolts